Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

HELP PLEASE! 2014 Merc 90 HP 4 Stroke Issue

I have a issue that everyone is having trouble to diagnosis. The motor is a 2014 Mercury 90 HP 4 stroke with 42 Hours. The issue started out around 20 Hours and has progressively became worst. The motor will hesitate for a brief second at full throttle and give a quick 1 beep alarm, like the startup beep. It doesn’t shut off and resumes like nothing every happened. It started out only doing it on the first run of the day and then would be fine the rest of the day. Then it got to where it was doing it all day and if it did it several times in a row it would give a five beep alarm after the 1 beep. I took it to a Mercury mechanic and he stated there was over 160 codes recorded and this is what we have done so far but the issue still exist:
    1) New battery (I tried before I took to mechanic)
    2) New relays (I tried before I took to mechanic)
    3) New Throttle Position Sensor- the mechanic replaced this because all the codes lead to this issue. I took the boat out and the hesitation still exist at full throttle or coming out of full throttle. It didn’t store a code according to the mechanic.
    4) Ran the boat with a remote wiring harness and ignition switch to rule out everything outside of the motor. The problem still exist.
    5) All of the wiring on the motor has been looked over several times.

The hesitation happens randomly. It has done it at full throttle going straight on slick water, full throttle on choppy water, and it seems like it does it more as soon as you are coming out of throttle while turning slightly left or right. It also seems like it is back to doing it mainly on the first run of the day. It seems like if you cut the motor off after the first run and start it back it back up, it will not mess up sometimes. The mechanic is puzzled since it is not storing any codes but it hasn’t gave the 1+5 beep alarm yet since replacing the TPS. I haven’t ran it all day and pushed it to that point of making it alarm that much.
    Thank you for any assistance.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by captain7829 View Post
    I have a issue that everyone is having trouble to diagnosis. The motor is a 2014 Mercury 90 HP 4 stroke with 42 Hours. The issue started out around 20 Hours and has progressively became worst. The motor will hesitate for a brief second at full throttle and give a quick 1 beep alarm, like the startup beep. It doesn’t shut off and resumes like nothing every happened. It started out only doing it on the first run of the day and then would be fine the rest of the day. Then it got to where it was doing it all day and if it did it several times in a row it would give a five beep alarm after the 1 beep. I took it to a Mercury mechanic and he stated there was over 160 codes recorded and this is what we have done so far but the issue still exist:
    1) New battery (I tried before I took to mechanic)
    2) New relays (I tried before I took to mechanic)
    3) New Throttle Position Sensor- the mechanic replaced this because all the codes lead to this issue. I took the boat out and the hesitation still exist at full throttle or coming out of full throttle. It didn’t store a code according to the mechanic.
    4) Ran the boat with a remote wiring harness and ignition switch to rule out everything outside of the motor. The problem still exist.
    5) All of the wiring on the motor has been looked over several times.

The hesitation happens randomly. It has done it at full throttle going straight on slick water, full throttle on choppy water, and it seems like it does it more as soon as you are coming out of throttle while turning slightly left or right. It also seems like it is back to doing it mainly on the first run of the day. It seems like if you cut the motor off after the first run and start it back it back up, it will not mess up sometimes. The mechanic is puzzled since it is not storing any codes but it hasn’t gave the 1+5 beep alarm yet since replacing the TPS. I haven’t ran it all day and pushed it to that point of making it alarm that much.
    Thank you for any assistance.
    have the ecm ohm tested, test the case to ground. bet ecm is bad

3. Member
    The mercury dealership stated that they couldn’t ohm test the ecm or flash it. Is there a way I can?

4. Member
    with a ohm meter put red lead to the ecm case and the black lead to a ground on the engine and see what the readings are. should be very low to 0

5. Member
    or have your dealer contact mercury tech to find out the details of the ecm ohm test

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please take a minute to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, AND the Sticky Posts at the top of the Forum.

You will need to update your post with the Required info. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Serial Number: 2B075563
    Model Number: 1F90413ED
    Last edited by captain7829; 06-19-2018 at 06:44 AM.

8. Member
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. Member
    OHM test was 0 from motor ground to ECM

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Are you using an Analog or Smartcraft Tachometer?

Do you perhaps note a sudden "jump" in the tach at the moment you feel this?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    I have both hooked up

12. Member
    No jump in the tac. It suddenly loses tac and returns to normal in less than a second.

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by captain7829 View Post
    No jump in the tac. It suddenly loses tac and returns to normal in less than a second.
    So the tach needle IS moving, indicating a sudden drop of the needle?

That would be a jump.... and may help with identification of the problem. Any chance you can take a short video of your instruments while this is occurring?

14. Member
    With so few hours I imagine that the motor is still under warranty. Have they contacted Mercury on this yet?

15. Member
    I can take it out on Thursday and try to get a video. It definitely drops RPM for a split second and jumps back to where it was. They contacted Mercury and they said it wasn’t under warranty.

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Will wait to see what you come up with on the video. And warranty coverage did end in 3/2017.

17. Member
    I was finally able to get out today and take a video of the issue. I started out running and made a 25 minute run without it acting up. I cut it off and fished around. I made several short runs and it didn’t mess up. I started to make the 25 minute run back to the ramp and it started to mess up a lot (video 1). It started with cutting out and giving a 1 beep alarm (video 1). After messing up a dozen or more times, it then started to do the 1 beep followed by 5 beeps (video 2 and 3). I backed off the throttle to 4000 RPMs and it still messed up. It also messed up coming off of plane 1 time. It has Never messed up just idling around, only when you are at higher RPMs or coming off of plane.

18. Member
    Any suggestions?

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Videos are "Unavailable".

Since there obviously were FAULTS occurring, there is no sense in trying to "guess" what the problem is.

Obtain the reports recommended in the link below:

WARNING HORN "BEEPED"

20. Member
    The Mercury Mechanic stated that no more codes have been stored since they cleared them and replaced the TPS. The issue still takes place and it is doing the same 1 beep randomly and then eventually the (6) beep code

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast