Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    He stated 230 times on the frequency count

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    So the TPS 1 No Adapt fault was ACTIVE (at the then-current runtime)?

Here's the scenario: At KEYUP and at STARTUP, the PCM looks at the TPS reading, and records it AS IDLE. That reading must be withing a rather tight window, or it cannot adapt.

Once adapted, the PCM calculates the entire throttle curve (including WOT position) based on the starting point (or adapted idle speed position).

If TPS ever falls BELOW the adapted point a fault also set.

It is VERY critical that no throttle EVER be applied, unless the engine is ALREADY RUNNING, and IN GEAR. NEVER, EVER apply throttle when starting the engine.

Any maladjustment of the throttle cable, control or hotfoot can ALSO cause this fault.

A faulty TPS is also a possibility.

This problem MUST be corrected (whichever of the above is the situation) before proceeding ANY further.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    I never throttle before the engine running or until in gear. I got the engine from someone when it had 17 hours so I can speak for the first 17 hours of the motor. I did install the motor on my boat so I am not sure about the adjustment of the throttle cable. The Mercury mechanic just replaced the TPS sensor.

There is something that the boat does on startup sometimes. If you turn the key on without cranking, you will hear the initial startup beep and then it will beep again when you actually start the motor after a few seconds. If you turn the key and crank up without a pause, it will only beep once.

4. Member
    It only alarms in the higher RPM range or when you first come out of full throttle. It has never alarmed at idle speed or in the 3500Ish RPM or less range.

5. Member
    still say it is in the ecm... getting noise interference at the affected rpm and causing ecm to shut down and restart, thats why there is no active code when when checking with cds. the alarm is sounding just like it would on key up when you first start your engine

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Understood. See Post# 42.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    So, Should I replace the TPS sensor again? I don’t throttle or anything before it is actually in gear.

8. Member
    How do I know the exact setting for my throttle cable? I use a hand throttle.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    All the way at the idle position (as far down as it goes).

TPS can be tested via a Voltage-Sweep Test to confirm it's accuracy and functionality.

10. Member
    Just checked and the throttle position is all the way down and cable was adjusted correctly. I am going to have to do some research on how to voltage sweep the TPS

11. Member
    Well I gave up last year trying to solve this mystery. Maybe someone has ran across this problem and can help solve the mystery. There are videos attached in earlier threads and pics of the computer readings. I have done the following:
    New Battery
    New TPS
    New Oil Pressure Swich
    New Crank Position Sensor
    New Neutural Switch
    Ran on a Remote Harness
    Ensured the throttle Cable was all the way in neutral position.

Thank you for any assistance!

12. Member
    Have you thought about taking it to Don? I would love to see a saved run file while it was happening. Has anybody looked at coils or spark plugs?

13. Banned
    A SmartCraft tach or even Vessel View Mobile would really help you out.

Is the Mercury tech able to ride with you and monitor the CDS when the fault occurs? I’m wondering if you have a faulty trim sensor. It looks like your pictures from FreezeFrame are showing the trim position is at 100% during your faults.

14. Member
    I will try to contact Don this week to see if we can schedule a time for me to make the trip to SC.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by captain7829 View Post
    I will try to contact Don this week to see if we can schedule a time for me to make the trip to SC.
    THIS ^^^^ will be well worth your time with this problem.

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by captain7829 View Post
    Let us know- we will be glad to schedule you in.

17. Member
    Update!! I was able to make the 7 hour round trip to meet Don with my boat issue. He worked with my schedule and was able to diagnose my boat while I waited. Don performed his test and determined the ECM was bad. I was able to take the boat out this week with the ECM and didn’t mess up a single time (knock on wood!). Thank you Don and your staff for solving this mystery and having such great customer service. I will define my make the trip if I ever have any more issues (I hope I don’t). Thank You!!!!

18. Member

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123