head bolt torque

ser number ot467866 anyone know the head bolt torque step and spec,im in the middle of moving and have my service manual packed and cant seem to locate it at the moment,its an oring head.Thanks

2. Member
    light oil 30 ft lbs then 90 degrees
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    thanks joe thats what i pulled up in a service bulletin

4. Member
    Most people only use the 90 degree after on new bolts, and 36-38lbs on used bolts just FYI

5. Member
    thanks for the reply, not to disagree but if i remember correctly the bulletin said bolts can be reused 10 times,with that procedure.Darn now im second guessing myself

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeper bird View Post
    thanks for the reply, not to disagree but if i remember correctly the bulletin said bolts can be reused 10 times,with that procedure.Darn now im second guessing myself
    I’m sure either way Is fine, I’ve never done the 90 deg and checked torque after, I just know everyone I know does it the way I said on our race motors where the heads are pulled a lot.

7. Member
    again thanks for the reply

Quote Originally Posted by 90 5.0 View Post
    Most people only use the 90 degree after on new bolts, and 36-38lbs on used bolts just FYI
    Yep^^^
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

9. Member
    well got my gaskets and orings in today and stamped right there on the head it says do not reuse head bolts,damn checked out a few places on the net no one has 24 of them double damn,another road block i cant believe i missed that clear as day on the head.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeper bird View Post
    well got my gaskets and orings in today and stamped right there on the head it says do not reuse head bolts,damn checked out a few places on the net no one has 24 of them double damn,another road block i cant believe i missed that clear as day on the head.
    It’s fine to reuse them, just do 38ft lbs like noted without the 90 deg after.

Anytime you see a torque value and a deg after it’s a good chance it’s a torque to yield type bolt and the stretch is included in the original torque plus the deg after.

We re use them all the time. Ten times is probunlay a good rule of thumb to replace at.

I have zero clue how many times the head bolts have been reused on my motors but it’s ALOT

11. Member
    Thanks for the reply