200hp Pro XS 4 Stroke Gauge Question - Ordering on Friday

I'm ordering a Triton 18TRX with 200hp Pro XS V8 on Friday. I haven't heard back from my dealer yet. But does anyone know if any of the digital gauges come standard with these new Pro XS? If the digital gauge that show's hours etc is not standard, I'm going with the vessel view module so I can bluetooth the info to my phone or my HDS units.

Also what are peoples feedback on the vessel view module?

2. mikesxpress
    As the DTS for these engines is an upgrade, you would need to order the boat with that upgrade. I'm doing a repower with 4 stoke 250 mechanical and will continue to use my Level 1 Merc monitor as it provides most everything an operator needs to monitor engine performance. I do have the monitor tied into my Lowrance network but never view it there. The Level 1 screen setup for favorites rotates thru information you selected and also posts up any alarms. And it fits in the worthless speedometer hole! No Bluetooth phone linking or swapping screens on the MFD. Simple.

I have spent some time in a few boats with the VV and if your a real fisherman, it's a cyber over loading item that doesn't get used much. If your a gaget guy then it's for you.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    No "Gauge" is standard with the engine, unless buying a SeaPro (Commercial) Version.

All instruments are Optional Accessories, chosen and rigged with the engine at the time of install.

There is a VesselView MOBILE that works with a Smartphone.

There is a VesselView LINK that works with select GPS Units.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

I'm running the Vessel View Link on my ProXS 2 stroke, I love it. I can add all the data to show up on the data overlay, right next to time and water temp, I have engine temp and fuel used. No flipping between pages. I'm running HDS Lowrances

5. Member
    I have experience running SC-1000 System Tach and Speedometer. I personally like this setup. I have considered adding the VeseelView Link and displaying all on my Lowrance unit, but was imagining how I would like that while running? I prefer to have my chart up on 2/3 of the screen and sonar on about 1/3 of the screen. Having the the separate guages lets me not use screen space, and still keep an eye on things.

I have SC-1000 Tach set to show the Trim and Water PSI screen generally when I am running.
    I have the SC-1000 Speedo set to display Instantaneous and AVG Fuel Economy while running
    I also added SC-100 Oil Pressure and Water Temperature to fill the other 2 holes in my mounting bracket.
    So, while Running, with that setup, I have 8 key performance parameters available to me:

1. Speed
    2. Engine RMP
    3. Trim
    4. Water Pressure
    5. Engine Water Temp
    6. Oil Pressure
    7. Instantaneous Fuel Economy
    8. Average Fuel Economy

Can also toggle through all the other functions at any time to get a host of info, all of which is also available on the VesselView Link if you hooked it to a Lowrance.
    Or, of course, you could do a complete Vessel View setup, with one of the 5 or 7 or 9 inch dedicated units...not sure the cost.

I think the SC-1000 Tach + Speedo would be about $900, but that would give you a smartcraft network in your boat, so then going to DTS might not be too expensive...or if DTS was an option, might get by for less than the $900 for the System Tach and Speedo...guess it depends on what your boat builder charges.

Lots of options.

The one function I LOVE about the any of the SC setups is "Fuel Used" Why, because have you ever been in a boat where the analog fuel gauge gets you anything other than an approximation of how much fuel you have left? Do you read the thing while on plane or not? What I do to know how much fuel I have remaining is reset fuel used to 0 every time I fill the tank. I know I have a 34 Gallon tank, so I can get my fuel used to the tenth of a gallon...and then subtract from 34 to know how much is left. I would go w/ SmartCraft for this factor alone....
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

6. Member
    Now, the other thing I should mention...If I were running dual Lowrance HDS's at the helm, then I would skip all the Discreet Guages and just get a Vessel View Link, and put it all up on a display. The only down side I see there is if your HDS goes on the blink, you have no gauges....

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJ3 View Post
    The one function I LOVE about the any of the SC setups is "Fuel Used" Why, because have you ever been in a boat where the analog fuel gauge gets you anything other than an approximation of how much fuel you have left? Do you read the thing while on plane or not? What I do to know how much fuel I have remaining is reset fuel used to 0 every time I fill the tank. I know I have a 34 Gallon tank, so I can get my fuel used to the tenth of a gallon...and then subtract from 34 to know how much is left. I would go w/ SmartCraft for this factor alone....
    Have done the same ever since upgrading to level 2 MercMonitor in 2012.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by srobinson View Post
    Thanks for the info. I'm heading to the dealer tomorrow to order a Triton 18TRX with Pro XS 200 4 Stroke.

I definitely would rather not go the smartphone route, that would be my last option. I can't seem to find the in vessel view link. I'm really looking to have a accurate hours & rpm gauge for break in. All the fuel stuff and other info is great, but not a deal breaker. I do like the idea of messages sent through vessel view mobile. I like the idea of having the info as overlays on my HDS units.

So here is my big question. There are 2 Mercury gauge options in the build out online. There maybe more options at the dealer tomorrow. Besides the large dollar difference, I don't really know which is one is.

Mercury Smart Craft Gauge - $1651
    Mercury Info Center Gauge - $445

What is each one and what are the pro's & cons.

Thanks,
    That's ridiculous to pay that kind of money to watch your engine functions , just buy a Merc monitor for 450$ and be able to watch half a dozen very important engine options which I think the Mercury infocenter is for $ 445.00.

9. Member
    Not sure what "Info Center Gauge" is, have never heard of it. And, they need to be more specific on "Mercury Smart Craft Gauge" too.

Both of those are so general that they don't really describe what the options are.

From what I know, you should look at https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/...uges-displays/ and then pin your dealer down to which gauges the above "options" actually refer to...then you can make an informed choice.

I stand by my assertion that I would not be without either SC-1000 Tach/Speedo combo, or VesselView either standalone or VesselView Link to a Lowrance/Simrad unit. While this stuff seems like "extra," I promise, once you have it, you will be very happy you got it.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I'm not sure who you've been talking to, but they don't know a whole lot about Smartcraft. Deleted the ERRONEOUS info in one thread above.

I would strongly suggest that you look to the TOP of this forum, find Rhonda's Post (sticky), and drop her an email.

She will send you a LOT of accurate info that will help you in your decision, and includes special BBC member pricing for the various options.

Probably the most comprehensive list of accurate info you will find.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    +1 to Don's comments and there's a good read on this in the 3L forum - SMARTCRAFT Options
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax