Thread: US open 2018

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Phil should DQ/withdraw himself after that classless , cheating, bad sportsmanlike act not to mention lying about it in the small presser after the round .

1. When interviewed after the round, his playing competitor "Johnston" said this was the conversation after walking off the green. Phil said " I don't know what score that is or what happens now"

2. After 30 minutes of chatting with his management team, USGA, PGA officials so they can clean the mess up, phil goes out to the presser and lies and says basically , I know the rules, I use them to my advantage, I did it on purpose, blah blah blah.

1. & 2. don't add up.

USGA should be embarrassed to for being cowards not enforcing the "proper rule" that fits this situation all because it was "phil"

All phil had to do was come clean and say he was pissed and lost his cool as well as embarrassed himself, his family and his fellow golfers and fans.
    Last edited by godsdozer; 06-16-2018 at 11:29 PM.

2. Member
    I get the course is set up on the borderline but there will still be a winner tomorrow. Either whine and bitch or play and shoot the lowest score. It's only one week. Man up. Someone will.

3. Member
    I'm guessing you guys defending the course set up aren't avid/serious golfers.....they completely lost the course today and later admitted it after today's round was done. They being the USGA....

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by castforcash View Post
    I'm guessing you guys defending the course set up aren't avid/serious golfers.....they completely lost the course today and later admitted it after today's round was done. They being the USGA....
    The USGA has tarnished this years tournament like they have in the past. You would think they would learn. The players who played the course this morning had a huge advantage over the players who played the same course later in the day. The man who was leading a tough tournament shot a 77 and said he didn't think he played bad at all. The winner should be the person who played the best, not the player lucky enough to be playing when the course is the easiest. The leaders today were penalized for playing well the first two days.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by g2072 View Post
    The USGA has tarnished this years tournament like they have in the past. You would think they would learn. The players who played the course this morning had a huge advantage over the players who played the same course later in the day. The man who was leading a tough tournament shot a 77 and said he didn't think he played bad at all. The winner should be the person who played the best, not the player lucky enough to be playing when the course is the easiest. The leaders today were penalized for playing well the first two days.

6. Member
    Spotsylvania, Va. 22553. Near Frederi mm lcksburg, Va
    I'm never sure what the USGA is trying to prove with the US Open?
    Is the intention to make the course so difficult that almost every one fails save one? I'm not sure that's a true measure of ability.. especially given the circumstances of this years tourney.

7. robdy72
    I get it, the course is tough, but they all must play it so what's the problem. It would be different if some weren't having to play the same course. Bunch of cry babies.

8. Member
    The USGA has changed the game of golf with the acceptance of the modern day golf ball. Their struggle with golf course setup would not be near as difficult if the modern day golf ball was not so hot, fly so straight, spun so little. They could fix the set up problem easily with bringing the golf ball back to reality.

Example, In 1982 Fred Couples at the age of 22 average 268 yds driving...…….In 2009 at the age of 49 (with back problems) he average 297 yds.

With the modern day golf ball, trying to make 100 year old golf courses relevant today can only be accomplished a few ways , shrink fairway width, extreme speeds, deeper rough , longer holes or all of the above...………. Or accept/allow being -20 under par as a good test of golf for major championships.

Par used to mean something

9. Member
    The USGA took a historic and fabled golf course and turned it into a cow pasture. I understand growing the ruff to penalize bad shots, But with the high temps and wind you have to keep water on the fairways and greens. The members there will now have to spend a lot of money and time to fix the greens they will not recover with water alone. The British Open is probably the best test of golf going and all there courses are over 100 years old.
    John the Garage Doorman

10. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by robdy72 View Post
    I get it, the course is tough, but they all must play it so what's the problem. It would be different if some weren't having to play the same course. Bunch of cry babies.
    The ground they walked might have been the same but the early tee times didn't play the same course as the final tee times. The USGA came out and said as much and the scores of the final 10 groups reflect that.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

Not a big enough fan to know courses that well, but is that course intentionally tree-less? From the air, it looks like it was built on a landfill.
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

12. Member
    To go from 11 strokes down to tied for the lead makes a statement!

Quote Originally Posted by Macsimus View Post
    Not a big enough fan to know courses that well, but is that course intentionally tree-less? From the air, it looks like it was built on a landfill.
    The course is 126 years old. Not built on a landfill lol. There were trees but in the last remodel of the course a few years back the bulk of them were removed to restore the course back to its original design.

14. Member
    I used to race off road Enduros.......The Early starters were at a disadvantage because they pretty much had to break in the trail and the late starters were at a disadvantage because by the time they got there the trail was tore up...I don't seem to remember those guys beetching about Key times.....I have no sympathy.....Lots of sports where courses and conditions change through out the day....Some of the guys that made a move yesterday may have been at a disadvantage the first two days....Play the cards you are dealt and drive on..

As long as there is no risk of injury alot of these pro sports could be played in tougher conditions...They should make the first cut of rough 6 inches deep like my local course...
    Last edited by brnzbaklvr; 06-17-2018 at 08:03 AM.
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

15. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    The course has been watered all night and morning. Those out early might be able to shoot at some pins. I look for some big moves early. Only time will tell.

Dale Sinclair original

16. Member
    Might be Furyk can sneak up on em today.

17. Member
    I’m picking Justin Rose, but pulling for Tony Finau

18. Member
    So now breaking a rule is cheating? Bbc never ceases to amaze me.

19. Member
    Every day they step on a course the early times have a little better chance at sticking the greens. The fact that the USGA apologized for making them play good and then made the course the easiest it's been tarnishes their name more to me. What's next, watering the green before every group comes thru? I know it got tough but exactly what should they have done? Make it stupid easy? That's crap and it doesn't take a "serious" golfer to see that. Bunch a damn cry babies

20. Member
    The USGA is spineless they simply didn’t want more controversy. All the pissing and moaning about the setup was enough. They used the wrong rule so they didn’t have to dq him. What got me was the interview when he said he should have done it at the 15th hole at the masters to save from going in the water a few times complete horseshit. He should of just withdrew himself from the tournament if it was to tough.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast