Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..

What Baits > Weedy, Mossy area ?

I am fishing water(ponds, channels, and shallow weedy lakes) that has a bunch of magnetic moss and weed tangles on the surface. I hold my rod high and use big tail worms and horny toads.I am looking to spend a $75 gift cert. just on Your suggestions. What baits do you use when you run into mossy weedy areas ? Extra credit for colors-stained and clear water. Thanks.

Weightless fluke rigged weedless in Smokin shad or white ice for clearer water and black or watermelon with a bit of chartreuse for stained water. Mostly when I encounter a lot of weeds etc. I tend to go weightless and weed less unless I'm punching then it's 1 ounce weights and heavy tackle.
    LET'S GO BLUES!!! WILL WE MAKE THE PLAYOFFS IN 2024?

Try going lighter with the weights as well if just fishing the standard Texas rig. It keeps the worm from getting too buried in the stuff.

Swimbaits
    '06 Xpress X19 TS | 150 Yamaha VMAX

5. Banned
    First off you really need some hollow body frogs. Keep it simple on colors. A white, Black, and some sort of natural color will be more than sufficient. You can get the popping or non popping version. If the weeds are just a solid mat then I like the non popping version. If it’s just scattered weeds thst are just a pain with other baits, then I like the popping version. As far as brands I personally like the Booyah frogs. Maybe Mark Perry will chime in with the latest and greatest in the frog world.

I also like a swim jig too. Personally I like white awful well in about all water colors. The trailers I vary. I like a zoom super chunk the most. Just give it great action and a big profile. The other trailers I find good are a strike king menace, or possibly even a swimming trailer like a swimming fluke or a keitech swimbait. As far as brands for these I like the Dirty Jigs heavy cover and also the V&M swim jig that cliff pace designed. I personally like about a 3/8 ounce one. Big thing, regardless of brand, is get the heavy wire hook ones. In all that Grass you have don’t use the lighter one ones. Lots of good brands out there, those are just my favorites.

And last but not least a zoom magnum trick or zoom fluke tough to Beat. Fish them Texas rigged weightless with about a 4/0 EWG HOOK. Damn good bait around Grass. Color wise. I like some sort of white or baitfish color on the fluke, and the crazy bright colors on the trick worm. My favorite being methiolate. Just twitch them along under the surface and you’ll watch em come out and smoke it

I would throw a hollow frog, but also have a t-rig ready to go when they blow up and miss your frog, but leave a hole in the mat

7. Banned
    Thanks Guys, Keep them coming even if someone said your favorite bait. Post it so I know that bait is popular for a reason > Catches Bass. How heavy should a hollow belly frog be >1/4, 3/8 or 1/2oz ? I saw they had some baby Booyah pad xxxx They looked too small- was I wrong ? Overwhelming the number of frogs, - space monkeys( Bass eat space monkeys-lol ), crazy tail creatures...Looking for my bag of Flukes now.... Sorry I am all over the place- someone is waiting, got guy in yard, and have to pick mom up in 20.

8. Member
    When I can't get bit on top with a frog, I switch to a belly weight EWG hook with a screw lock to hold a swimbait like a Keitech. The BPS knockoffs work just as good also. That setup is as weedless as it gets and work great. Swim over grass and you can drop into holes. Fish on a med 7'-7'6" rod with 50 lb braid.

I like the KVD frog.

9. Member
    One other thing that is really weedless but has enough bulk/weight to cast is a large flippin tube. Slide a rattle inside and rig weightless on a Mustad tube hook. Glide/twitch it under the surface like a fluke. Looks like a spook but under water.

I second the heavy hook swim jig. If a lot bluegills around, match with green pumpkin and brown colors. Dip the trailer tail in just a bit of chartreuse.

10. huskyjerk
    Frog and senko.

11. Banned
    Husky- I will see frogs in my dreams with all the different frogs I saw today at bait shop. Which frog and what size ? Matt E and others- A Bunch of good detailed info. Thanks Fishing Friends.

Get yourself a few booyah toadrunners.
    One dark color and one white or bone.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by huskyjerk View Post
    Frog and senko.
    That would be my go to in those conditions.

14. Banned
    Don’t overwhelm yourself with frogs. For starters just get the standard and a few basic colors. This will work 99% of time. In fact I don’t even own any of the smaller ones.

15. Member
    Use the lightest bait possible or just fish topwater. Something like a weightless Tx rigged Trick Worm or Senko will work in heavy moss. Frogs and buzzbaits will work on top. Sometimes you can fish in the middle with a vibrating jig or spinnerbait.

Booyah pad crasher is the cheapest frog that I've found that is soft, has sharp hooks, and has held up to many fish.

Buddy bought the new boom boom frog and the weight fell out after 3 fish and the legs got tore up.

18. Member
    Not to start a pissin match, but my favorite is a black livetarget frog. Really love the small 45t size. Sneaks up on em and they crush it. And not just dinks. Took a 4.4lb last saturday in the miss. ;)

19. Member
    Sounds like where I used to fish all the time. My go-to's when the weeds/grass/moss grows up depend on the conditions.

If the weeds are all the way on the surface
    Frogs. My go-to is a Spro poppin' frog (the standard works fine too) in Natural Green. Green back, white belly. If the weeds are thick on the surface, go with a regular frog.
    Senkos (or my favorite, Power Team Lures Sick Stick) on a weedless wacky jig, or texas rigged either weightless or a light (1/16-3/16oz) weight. Green pumpkin of some sort.

If the weeds are sub-surface:
    All of the above plus:
    Rapala Skitter Prop or Smithwick Devil's Horse. Any chrome/black combination works.
    Buzzbait. White and black, only 2 colors you need. Cavitron is a good one.
    Whopper plopper 110. Pick a color you like (as long as it's Munky Butt)

And if the weeds are subsurface or there are thinner and thicker areas:
    black and blue chatterbait with a green pumpkin yamamoto Zako.

Those are literally all 6 of my summer baits on the small lake close to me. I don't really bother with much else other than experimenting.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

I'd go with the Booyah pad crasher in black, white, and chartreuse (bellies)for topwater. (i'd recommend Spro but Booyah is cheaper and works just as well) Covers all water and weather situations. You can get both the popping frog or the walking. For below surface, my go to is always a Zoom trick worm on a shakey head or just Texas rigged with a light bullet weight... Go with pumpkin, black/blue and plum..That should get the job done..Tight lines....
    2016 Ranger RT188
    115 Yamaha SHO

"Well done is better than well said"- Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast