Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Amsoil for sea star system?

Anyone know which amsoil fluid is compatible with sea star hydraulic steering system?

I would not use any unless they offer Mil spec PRF 5606... These work great and have red dye for early leak detection. Also cheaper than the SeaStar fluid.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Banned
    ATF

Quote Originally Posted by Mini View Post
    ATF
    Only as a last resort, Per SeaStar manual...

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    Only as a last resort, Per SeaStar manual...
    Correct. But it comes from many Boat OEM's that way

6. Member
    This all comes down to viscosity and viscosity index......Mil spec fluids of an equal viscosity and VI are the way to go.

Corrosion and temp play into these fluids. Some collect moisture more than others... SeaStar steering rebuilders told me why these fluids I posted are superior to others... I cant remember all the benefits. My friend used jack oil, But it's not recommended.

ATF works but is more flammable than the recommended seastar or aviation hydraulic fluid. That is why it is not recommended...

9. Member
    I would not use any unless they offer Mil spec PRF 5606... These work great and have red dye for early leak detection. Also cheaper than the SeaStar fluid.

These are exceptional fluids , we use them at work in all of our hydraulic systems due to their temperature ranges and hydroplic properties.

Absolutley best fluids to use in steering and trim systems.

Corrosion and temp play into these fluids. Some collect moisture more than others... SeaStar steering rebuilders told me why these fluids I posted are superior to others... I cant remember all the benefits. My friend used jack oil, But it's not recommended.
    So you are saying 5606 and seastar fluid are interchangeable and can be mixed?

Thanks.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

I never mixed the fluids, But you may be able to. I buy it by the gallon.

Info about this product.

Zinc-Free Antiwear Hydraulic Fluids For Aerospace & Industrial Applications Phillips 66 X/C 5606H and X/C 5606A Aviation Hydraulic Fluids are mineral oil-based, high viscosity index, ashless (zinc-free) antiwear hydraulic fluids designed to meet the severe demands of aerospace and industrial applications. They have excellent oxidation resistance and outstanding low-temperature properties for use over a wide temperature range. They provide excellent wear protection for hydraulic pumps and motors, protect hydraulic system components against rust and corrosion, and are resistant to excessive foam buildup that can cause poor or sluggish hydraulic system response.

X/C 5606H Aviation Hydraulic Fluid meets the cleanliness requirements for “super clean” hydraulic fluid for use in modern aircraft hydraulic systems. X/C 5606A Aviation Hydraulic Fluid is recommended for use in hydraulic systems that do not require a “super clean” fluid. Both fluids are dyed red for identification and leak detection purposes.

Very high viscosity index for use over a wide temperature range
    Outstanding low-temperature properties
    Excellent wear protection
    Resists deposit formation and viscosity increase due to oxidation
    Protects against rust and corrosion
    Good foam resistance
    Does not contain zinc or other heavy metals

X/C Aviation Hydraulic Fluids are recommended for use in non-pressurized systems operating between -54°C and 90°C (-65°F to 194°F), and in pressurized systems operating between -54°C and 135°C (-65°F to 275°F) at pressures up to 3,000 psi.(1) Typical applications include:
    • Aircraft and missile control systems, autopilots and shock absorbers
    • Auto wreckers, boom trucks and electrical service equipment (cherry pickers) where all-weather performance is required
    • Industrial robotics
    • Hydraulic systems that require a “super clean” fluid for extended service life and reliability (X/C 5606H)

13. Banned
    Sea Star sells a fluid for the system.

Quote Originally Posted by FastCrappie24 View Post
    Sea Star sells a fluid for the system.
    And they are dang proud of it $$

15. Member
    Got on the water one day and had no steering! Had a leak I wasn't aware of. My son went into the nearest town and all he could get was jack oil. We fished all day on it. Later I fixed the leak and flushed out all the oil I could and filled with Sea Star oil. So far so good, but now I check my level before it leaves the garage and I carry the proper oil with me.

16. Member
    Info about this product.

Zinc-Free Antiwear Hydraulic Fluids For Aerospace & Industrial Applications Phillips 66 X/C 5606H and X/C 5606A Aviation Hydraulic Fluids are mineral oil-based, high viscosity index, ashless (zinc-free) antiwear hydraulic fluids designed to meet the severe demands of aerospace and industrial applications. They have excellent oxidation resistance and outstanding low-temperature properties for use over a wide temperature range. They provide excellent wear protection for hydraulic pumps and motors, protect hydraulic system components against rust and corrosion, and are resistant to excessive foam buildup that can cause poor or sluggish hydraulic system response.

X/C 5606H Aviation Hydraulic Fluid meets the cleanliness requirements for “super clean” hydraulic fluid for use in modern aircraft hydraulic systems. X/C 5606A Aviation Hydraulic Fluid is recommended for use in hydraulic systems that do not require a “super clean” fluid. Both fluids are dyed red for identification and leak detection purposes.

Very high viscosity index for use over a wide temperature range
    Outstanding low-temperature properties
    Excellent wear protection
    Resists deposit formation and viscosity increase due to oxidation
    Protects against rust and corrosion
    Good foam resistance
    Does not contain zinc or other heavy metals

X/C Aviation Hydraulic Fluids are recommended for use in non-pressurized systems operating between -54°C and 90°C (-65°F to 194°F), and in pressurized systems operating between -54°C and 135°C (-65°F to 275°F) at pressures up to 3,000 psi.(1) Typical applications include:
    • Aircraft and missile control systems, autopilots and shock absorbers
    • Auto wreckers, boom trucks and electrical service equipment (cherry pickers) where all-weather performance is required
    • Industrial robotics
    • Hydraulic systems that require a “super clean” fluid for extended service life and reliability (X/C 5606H)

Did you have an out-of-body experience with TampaJim?

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wedawee View Post
    I'm thinking about sending him an autographed AeroShell hat, he's doing really well.

Quote Originally Posted by Wedawee View Post
    No way sir! I posted this info for people that may "search" for this question in the future... That's all.

19. Member
    BTW, the gallon can is different than the quart cans. The gallon is 5606A fluid, the quarts are 5606H fluid.
    I would imagine that for this particular application, there is no technical reason not to use either product.

I use all Amsoil products in my outboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast