Stern Saver / Pad - glue or tape?

I am looking at using pad to mount a transducer on an aluminum boat and am looking at one that is glued on or one that is taped. I've read some threads with good comments about the glued on version, but haven't found any comments - good or bad - about the one that it taped. So I am looking for some insight from those who have used these.

Glued on - https://www.cabelas.com/product/Stern-Saver-Transducer-Mounts/1980040.uts?slotId=5

Taped on -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...SLW9RPY6&psc=1

I'm leaning towards the taped on for ease of installation, but looking for insight from those who have used it. Thanks.
    Last edited by rlb8s; 06-13-2018 at 07:21 PM.
    Richard Bates
    USCG Retired
    2010 Bass Cat Puma
    2012 250 hp Mercury ProXS
    Family Boat - 2011 Key West 189FS w/ Yamaha F115TX
    Truck - 2005 GMC 3500 D/A SRW LB CC
    RV- 2012 RoadTrek 210 Simplicity (named E-Pod)

http://BassCat.com
    Purefishing.com
    Denalirods.com

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Years ago when the Lowrance LSS 1 came out i made my own with some marine starboard....used the 3m double sided tape and silicone to mount it on the back of boat....it held until i slide off a stump and it didnt take much for the stump to knock the whole thing off.......although i'm sure a stump could knock off one with epoxy also.....with that said if i had to put another one on, i'd go with the epoxy one....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

After seeing my taped on shower shelf hit the floor after just a few days, I'm not much of a fan of the new super tapes.

I did use Stern Saver to mount my transducer to the setback of my hull. Works great and I can't see anything less than a hammer and chisel knocking it off. If you go to the website there's a real good installation video and if you call the phone number , it's likely the inventor/owner of Stern Saver will answer the phone. He did when I called.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

I’m using the glued Stern Saver. Very easy to install and works great for mounting transducers without damaging your boat. Word of advice: Make sure your transducer screws are not deeper than the Stern Saver. The last thing you want to do is drill through the Saver and put a hole in your transom. Kind of defeats the purpose...

5. Member
    I make my transducer saver plates from 3/4" to 1" starboard. You can't easily glue starboard to the hull(fiberglass/aluminum) so have a two step process.

1. I cut shallow grooves(1/4-3/8" deep) on the perimeter back of the starboard using my table saw. I tilt the saw blade slightly so that the grooves are a bit angled.
    2. I use the existing holes from the old transducer or drill two new holes if none exist.

Slather the back of the grooved plate with 3M 5200, dab a bit in the two screw holes on the plate and transom and screw the plate to the transom. Everything behind the plate is now sealed and the 3m 5200 has oozed into grooves forming a mechanical bond with the plate. I have never lost a transducer plate using this method and since I am using scrap Starboard the only expense I have is the 3M 5200.
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Mercury Spitfire X7 19” prop
    51 mph @ 6240 rpms (RPMs from Vessel View Mobile) : full fuel tank and fishing load by myself
    4.2 second Hole Shot (measured using Vessel View Mobile)
    Engine mounted in 3rd hole
    Minn Kota Ulterra-Link w/built in MDI 80 lb thrust 60” shaft
    Humminbird Helix 12si Gen1 chirp on console
    Humminbird Helix 15si Gen4 cho on bow
    Humminbird Mega360

Dotline two step transom boarding ladder
    Tracker trailer bow boarding step

6. Member
    Glued on has been flawless for me. That is on a glass boat, not aluminum. No reason to think it would not work just as well.
    2023 Lund 2075 Pro V Bass XS
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 250 4S

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by joe3buck3 View Post
    I make my transducer saver plates from 3/4" to 1" starboard. You can't easily glue starboard to the hull(fiberglass/aluminum) so have a two step process.

1. I cut shallow grooves(1/4-3/8" deep) on the perimeter back of the starboard using my table saw. I tilt the saw blade slightly so that the grooves are a bit angled.
    2. I use the existing holes from the old transducer or drill two new holes if none exist.

Slather the back of the grooved plate with 3M 5200, dab a bit in the two screw holes on the plate and transom and screw the plate to the transom. Everything behind the plate is now sealed and the 3m 5200 has oozed into grooves forming a mechanical bond with the plate. I have never lost a transducer plate using this method and since I am using scrap Starboard the only expense I have is the 3M 5200.
    will it bond to a painted surface of aluminum boat?

8. Member
    I put mine on with 4200 silicone. it was originally on with epoxy, but it took gelcoat off when i used too long of a screw and it amputated itself.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

If it's on an aluminum boat why not mount some King Starboard with screws and seal the holes? Or even a cheap piece of plastic sitting board out and shaped to fit?
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"