Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Age Old Question, 200HP E-TEC, Oil Question....Again

I just bought a used 2005, 200 HP Evinrude E-TEC. Before I bought the boat ( a 190V Pro Gator, 19') I noticed the oil resevoir was 1/4 full. When I picked it up from the dealer, the oil rsoviour was full. I put it in the water and WOW! Smoothest, quietest, fastest I've ever been....for 20 minutes or so, then it died at 4000 RPM and wouldn't start again. (I won't go in to the mile trip on the trolling motor back to the ramp and wrestling that thing back on to the trailer.. ) I took it back to the dealer immediately. They think the engine was programmed for XD50 and they mixed in the wrong oil and the S.A.F.E. mode kicked in killing the engine. They're not sure at this point. They're a Merc dealer. Any ideas? Also, I saw a thread that stated no matter what an E-TEC is programmed for, run XD100. I don't have a problem with that, if it's true. Serial number - G05101329

Also, I don't know if this is an HO, DFI, White, or a BR549 . Can you tell by the number? The manual says nothing.

Sam P.

Re: Age Old Question, 200HP E-TEC, Oil Question....Again (Sambone)

Your going to have to get the model number form the engine. That's how they can tell what it is. If the engine was set on XD-100 or "lean" setting and something other than xd-100 oil was put into the tank then I could see being problems. No matter what the setting run the XD-100 but from what I've read on the boards here have the setting programmed for the "Rich" setting and run the 100 oil.

The guru's will clarify but get that model number so they can check it for you and give you advice on what needs or should be done.

Joe
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

3. Member

Re: Age Old Question, 200HP E-TEC, Oil Question....Again (JoePA)

Thanks for the reply Joe. I'll get the model off the engine when I get it back, tomorrow I think, I hope. The original owner had circled XD50 in the engine owner manual so I figured that and the fact that the manual says, word for word, IMPORTANT: If your EMM has been programmed for Evinrude/Johnson XD100, DO NOT use any other oil unless in an emergency.

XD100, XD50, XD25, man....how many XD's are there and why am I having so hard a time finding it? Walmart and Academy has all the XD25 you could possibly use, but NO XD50 or XD100. I'm in extreme northeast Houston (on Lake Houston) and I'll have to drive clear across town to get the 50 or 100, at Redwing I guess. I've owned Mercury's all my life and Premium plus is everywhere. I could get it online I guess....

Anyway, thanks again. This is the first time for me with an E-TEC. With my very limited experience with it, I love it. Dang oil....

Sam P.

I'm not sure but you might have to go to a BRP dealer and have them hook up to your engine, not sure if your Merc dealer can. BUT find out what setting it's on and run the XD-100 oil and you'll be set! Once you get your model number the guru's can tell you what you shoudl have the BRP dealr do to get it up to date.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

5. Member

Re: Age Old Question, 200HP E-TEC, Oil Question....Again (JoePA)

Thanks again Joe. Believe it or not the original owner called me minutes ago and we talked and talked about the boat and engine. He said that one time, right after he bought it, it did the same thing to him and the Rude mech told him that they had to put new plugs in it and had to index them. Index them? What is that? But he also said the plugs that are in it couldn't possibly have an hour on them. I don't know. Heck. I guess I'll wait it out and see. The boat was traded in for a Triton, and the dealer (LMC Marine in Houston) is a Merc dealer. The tech at LMC today told me that they had just got an E-TEC computer or an Evinrude computer and they were going to see what it told them. He said he thought it was the oil and they were going to drain and purge the system and put in XD50. I hope to get it back tomorrow.

I live one block off the water. Much longer without it and I'll go into withdrawels.

One more thing.....is there a twelve step program for boat addiction?

Sam P.

6. Member

1) Doubt it is the plugs as the engine may cut out at idle, but not at 4000 rpms.

2) see http://www.boatsetup.com/PlgIndexing.html for info re: indexing spark plugs on these engines. (it says Ficht, but it applies to E-tec too)

3) The correct oil have been a point of debate for a while now. Only someone with E-tec diagnostic software can hook up to your engine and see what you are programmed for. The "safest" thing is to be programmed for XD50 (regular oil setting) and use XD100 (fully synthetic best oil). It is also considered fine to be programmed for XD50 (synthetic grade oil) and use XD50 oil, or to be programmed for XD100 (lean oil setting, uses 1/3 less oil) and use XD100 oil. It is not acceptable to be programmed for XD100 and use a lesser grade oil (any oil other than XD100). If you do not get XD100 or XD50 in your area, have your engine programmed for XD50 (confirm it is on that) and use the best 2-stroke oil available (Merc or whatever)

I'm not sure what your problem is, but it isn't the oil. Using XD50 on the XD100 might blow the powerhead or cause some other kind of damage from insuffucuent lubrucation...but if that is the case, pouring in holy water ain't gonna fix it....

best to check for your nearest BRP dealer...

Gary Marshall
    Conset Bay
    BARBADOS
    WEST INDIES

Re: Age Old Question, 200HP E-TEC, Oil Question....Again (gcmarshall)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gcmarshall &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1)

best to check for your nearest BRP dealer...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sambone,

Mr. Marshall is giving you good advice. You don't want a mechanic not trained on your E-TEC to troubleshoot your pride and joy by pokin' and hopin'.

Call customer service at 847-689-7090 with the serial number and ask about any remaining warranty, if any, and their recommendation for an Evinrude dealer to check out the problem.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

8. Member

Re: Age Old Question, 200HP E-TEC, Oil Question....Again (SEAHORSE)

Mr. Marshall is my dad...

Re: Age Old Question, 200HP E-TEC, Oil Question....Again (gcmarshall)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gcmarshall &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Mr. Marshall is my dad... </TD></TR></TABLE>

...and Mr. Seahorse is my Dad, but most folks call him King Neptune.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

10. Member

Re: Age Old Question, 200HP E-TEC, Oil Question....Again (SEAHORSE)

Well, Father, Son,

Thanks for the good advice. You're right. I KNEW that, but sometimes it takes someone telling you that to get it. Go figure. The dealer called a while ago and said they are going to change the battery out. The one in there is brand new, 550 CCA and they are telling me that it needs a least a 1000CCA. The Owners Manual says 675CCA. Crap. Sounds bogus to me. See...they are a Triton/Merc dealer and I bought the boat last week from them. So obviously when it broke down, I took it back to them. Everyone says they're reputable and they certainly seem to be trying to do the right thing. But your response about trusting your baby to just anyone, rings true my friend. You guys are great. Thanks so much. I will be looking for XD100 today.

Sam P.

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar

There is a good tech on here from Huston, Steve Wright but I don't know what dealership he works for. I don't think it is Red Wing though.

12. Member

Re: Age Old Question, 200HP E-TEC, Oil Question....Again (ChampioNman)

You're not going to believe this, but I found XD100 oil yesterday halfway close to the house in bulk for $29 a gallon ($44 off the shelf) I went to pick it up and guess who sold it to me? Steve Wright. We talked for about an hour about the E-TEC I just bought. Turns out it was all for nothing, I received a call from the dealer later and they told me the Power Head was blown. They pulled the plug out of the #2 cylinder and could tell. So now I'm stuck. A 3 year old $25K boat I just bought from LMC Marine in Houston, put it in the water for 30 minutes and BAM! Just like that. How's that for luck?? We're going round and round now about extended warranty issues and it has became MY problem. The original BRP warranty expired January 20 this year! Dang the luck! I want to thank everyone here for being so good with the forthcoming, inciteful information concerning all of the questions and genuine concern.

Now I will quitely slip away, lurk on the boards and contemplate climbing on top of my desk and jumping.

Sam P.

13. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar

Have Steve call Tech Services BRP may jump in here and help you out. Do it Today!!! As you are only a few days out of warranty.

14. Member

Thanks CMan, I will do that. I'll call Steve and see what he can do, if anything. I picked up your message just now, or I would have done it already.

I called BRP ((847) 689-7090) just a minute ago and they were closed.

Sam P.

15. Member

Well...Cman, I know you know what's going on now. What a predicament I'm in.....out of warranty with BRP about 13 or so days, in between extended warranty change over to my name about three or so days.....Dang the luck.

Time is a terrible thing. Not only does it change us in to horrible, sometimes unrecognizable creatures, it makes us a nervous, impatient, absolute maniac in the process!

It's in others hands now. I still have confidence, just knowing that BRP will do the right thing. Steve is a great guy man. Honest, forthcoming and I trust him. Things are just bound to turn out. I want to thank you again for the encouragement and the way you were willing to help me, a perfect stranger. It means a lot to know there are still good people out here.

Sam P.

Sambone don't dispair........BRP stepped up and replaced a PH they had replaced(9/06) under orig. warranty. That orig. warranty was out 7/07. The replacement PH ate #6 piston 12/13/07 and BRP just paid for a replacement PH and all labor. IT'S THE DEALER going to bat for you, I never talked to anyone else and let my dealer handle it all. Don't dispare something good will come out of this deal for you............G

17. Member

Re: Age Old Question, 200HP E-TEC, Oil Question....Again (Garfish)

Thanks Gar. I'm sure as well.

Man, all of these positve attitudes. You guys are great. I feel a lot better now.

Sam P.

18. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar

BRP makes it easy for us to be patient. They have helped many thru hard times.

19. Member

Re: Age Old Question, 200HP E-TEC, Oil Question....Again (Bassmeister)

Well, FPC (the extended warranty provider) called me Friday morning 2/8, early, like 8:20 AM CST, and decided that as soon as they received my $100.00 and transfer form, they would transfer the extended warranty policy into my name. Ironcially, I had mailed it out on the 5th of February, about three hours before I found out the Power Head was blown. They said to make a claim through the normal channels and "IF" the damage to the Power Head fell under the coverage guidelines, they would take care of it. I guess that's some good news. I hope now that it ends up corrected the right way. I mean, not re-built or re-manufactured parts or something. I am very fortunate to have Rudetech1 working on my engine. I've heard he is one of, if not the best, in the Evinrude arsenal. If there are remanufactured parts, or a whole engine re-build, who better to do it....right? He is totally honest and I like that. After I dropped off the boat to him, he called me back later in the day and told me that he wasn't going to let such a good looking boat set outside and said he would put it in the shop out of the weather. LOL I thought that was a nice touch. I think he is going to start the tear down on the engine Monday. He said he was going to take pictures and determine the fault. He will make the claim as soon as I call him and let him know that the Extended Warranty is in my name. Should be tomorrow, Monday 2/11 sometime. Then if the fault is ccovered by FPC it would probably be 2 - 2.5 weeks before I get it back. I was shocked by that. I was thinking months and months for some reason. I am truly hoping that it will fall under the stringent FPC guidelines for coverage. We'll see. Cman, Gar, Bassmeister, all you guys...cross your fingers for me. Will let everyone know how things turn out by next week sometime. Thanks guys!

Sam P.

20. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar

You should be fine!!! Ole' Rudey will take care of ya!!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast