Set Up / Performance

1995 Bass Cat Pantera 2
    1989 Mercury XR4 150 HP
    Apollo SS 23p prop
    5.5" jackplate setback
    Brand new lower unit

Just replaced my lower unit and got a brand new prop. Boat is now hitting 50 mph full throttle at 5400 rpm. It still needs more bow lift though because I feel like it is plowing through the water instead up being on top and it doesn't seem to be getting fully up on pad. I had the prop to pad set at 3" over the weekend and lowered it to 3.5" to try out. When I run calm water it seems to dog and run around 45-46 mph but when choppy it hits 49-50 mph. I hit 50 mph when choppy, 2 people, tournament gear, 10 gallons gas in each tank, and full livewells.

Need some ideas and help to get this bad mother running right. I just know it has more in it.

2. Member
    What did it run with the lower unit it had before you replaced it?

3. Member
    I replaced the lower because it had a bent prop shaft and it blew out on the water a couple weeks ago. It was running 42-44 mph. That was with a bent prop shaft and a chewed up 21p prop

4. Member
    I really like the boat and want to make it perform before deciding if it’s time to move on to another boat.

5. Member
    What did it run before the bent shaft?

6. Member
    It was hitting 54 mph but had some repair work done on the motor and it seems like since then i can never get it back to the performance I once had. I just am running out of places I trust to take it too to get it set. Wondering what I can do myself?

7. Member
    Could try initially sending your prop to Croxton to get it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by kirkster321 View Post
    1995 Bass Cat Pantera 2
    1989 Mercury XR4 150 HP
    Apollo SS 23p prop
    5.5" jackplate setback
    Brand new lower unit

Just replaced my lower unit and got a brand new prop. Boat is now hitting 50 mph full throttle at 5400 rpm. It still needs more bow lift though because I feel like it is plowing through the water instead up being on top and it doesn't seem to be getting fully up on pad. I had the prop to pad set at 3" over the weekend and lowered it to 3.5" to try out. When I run calm water it seems to dog and run around 45-46 mph but when choppy it hits 49-50 mph. I hit 50 mph when choppy, 2 people, tournament gear, 10 gallons gas in each tank, and full livewells.

Need some ideas and help to get this bad mother running right. I just know it has more in it.
    Need a lot more information to be of much help without making wild guesses

Elevation
    3 or 4 blade prop
    What gear ratio is the new lower unit?
    Start with p to p at 3.5 in.
    Running wide open adjust trim to obtain maximum speed (may be less than full trim up) and note trim level and height of rooster tail
    Also note RPM and water pressure

Raise motor .5 in. and repeat. Note changes...…..Worse or better

If worse drop to 4 in. and repeat

Now work in 1/4 in increments to obtain the best setting for what you have now.

Personally I would start with a known good 23 trophy or tempest, I would not waste money and time on that prop. My experience with
    Michigan Props has not been very good and I would hate to see you invest a lot of time and money reworking a prop that you may never be happy with
    I think being a little underpowered for the P2 you get better results with the Trophy. It will lift the nose more with less trim. If you had a 200 I would go with the tempest.
    I think that motor has 5900 RPM max, please verify this
    You need to get the RPM up to about 5700 this time of year if so.
    That rig should run a little over sixty I think, when it is set up and running right
    Last edited by lpugh; 06-14-2018 at 08:58 AM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

9. Member
    Thanks for all the information. I will begin working on some of that stuff.

The prop is a 3 blade that I got for free from a buddy who no longer had a use for it. I think I need to adjust the throttle to get it up to 5900 RPM. I have it wide open right now hitting 5400 RPM.
    The lower is 4 3/4" bullet diameter and 2.00 gear ratio

10. Member
    Shouldn’t the gear ratio on a 150 XR4 be 1.75? Was the lower unit replaced with a different lower unit than the normal ones for that engine?
    Last edited by Sports1; 06-14-2018 at 09:50 AM.

I think they were 1:78
    Thank You Leon Pugh

12. Member
    23 Pitch Tempest, 3 1/4" below pad is what worked for me with a 150 ProV. Has a jack plate but I'm not sure of setback but not a lot. Best I got was 62 gps but it would consistently run 58-60. I have since gone to a 200 hp motor but I still have the prop and need to get rid of it. Pm me if you are interested.

13. Banned
    Dad ran a 25" trophy on our '94 Classic with Suzuki Bass 150 and it did an indicated 69mph on the speedo when light and solo in good conditions, that prop did well in rough water and loaded with a family of 4. Don't know anything about Apollo props, but I agree with lpugh about starting with a known combo that works as the right prop is like having a good set of tires on a vehicle and will make or break how it operates. Hope that helps, good luck.