Thread: HPDI Market

HPDI Market

Is there much of a market for used 250 HPDI's? I've got a 2004 that's been flawless, never been in the shop, never given me an ounce of problems and I'd like to upgrade to a 4 stroke, I just don't know if there is much of a market for one anymore from what guys say on here. If I can only get bottom dollar for it then I'll just run it until she blows and go from there, which may be the most financially sound decision regardless...but if there is any value in it then I'll sell now and upgrade.
    Last edited by Pound4Pound; 06-13-2018 at 02:43 PM.

2. Member
    I'd say there's still a little market out there. I see them being sold still and folks are interested in posts where they are for sale. You can check the motors for sale section and search HPDI to get an idea of what others have posted prices for. I've seen them from $2500 with blown head to $5k with new power head and other stuff. Original like yours, not sure about price, but hours is going to make the difference. The lower the better... Good luck either way..

3. Member
    Yes there is a market for that motor. I just blew my 2005 250 HPDI last week and looking for a replacement. If you are interested in selling yours let me know. I would be interested if the price was reasonable. I'm sending my powerhead off on Friday to get rebuilt. I would love to have a spare in case this happens again.

4. Member
    what is the cost to rebuild the powerhead and who are you having do it? Maybe upgrade to a used SHO would be the better choice..thoughts?
    ~ 2010 Skeeter 20i Class
    ~ Spiralite Custom Fishing Rods
    ~ MarineBassAnglers
    ~ Peregrine 250 Boat Products

5. Member
    Roughly 4K. Both Chris Carson and Hydrotec are about the same. I would go for a SHO if I could find one for a decent price.

6. Member
    Last edited by skeeterdone06; 06-22-2018 at 11:06 PM.

7. Member
    I re-powered two years ago from a 2007 HPDI 250 to a new 2017 SHO 250. Dealer gave me $5,000 (and I kept the prop and cabling) for my 2007 HPDI. Motor was in great shape. Sold me a 2017 250 SHO for $13,500 (installed) out the door.

8. Member
    I think the V-8 Mercury Four-Stroke will hurt SHO sales.

Once Yamaha gets SHO inventory-levels get back-to-normal, prices on SHO may get lower.

Wait until this winter and see if a dealer will make you a good deal on trading-in your HPDI.

9. Member
    Powerhead is about $5 to $6k depending on what needs to be done. They are pretty tough to sell blown. Nobody wants to pay shipping on one. I would keep running it till it blows or trade it in for a new boat before it blows.