Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Reading what has been posted so far is solidifying my original thoughts of pretty much just finding something that I can get comfortable in due to my size whether it's a yota, Honda, Mazda, Nissan, Ford, Chevy, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bdog7198 View Post
    Any battery can and will go bad, last I heard they were supposed to last 10 years, but a lot depends on use. To me its just a part of checking out a used car before I purchase it. There are things which need checked, with hybrids like Prius that includes the battery pack. I personally just would not do it until I understood fully how all that works. There are plenty of other cars which get 30-40 mpg that are less complicated.
    Absolutely agree with that sentiment.

I've also heard the 10-year mark and know that was a big concern for the first several years they were being sold. Based on everything I've heard and read, it seems the software Toyota implements for maintaining the batteries (specifically I suppose that's the way in which and levels at which it charges/discharges them) is resulting in battery packs lasting much much longer than that 10 year mark. That being said, definitely another thing to consider!

I've also read about a place that I believe is in a bedroom community of Chicago in WI that is replacing battery packs in these hybrids with new technology that affords a lot more power from the batteries and increases fuel economy substantially. I'll see if I can find it.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

I'm 6'5 and fit fine in my wife's camry. They get good mileage and hold up well.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowhuntercoop View Post
    Stay with Toyota. They run forever. A camery, corella, or even Prius.
    Problem is that these are the "typical" commuter cars everyone is looking for, so you tend to pay a premium for them. They are also the ones that first-time drivers get into, driving up the used pricing as well.

The "granny" cars are a better value, typically nicer and a little larger in size, and tend to be much better taken car of. Older Mercurys, Buicks, Lincolns, and even Cadillacs can be found on good deals in good shape at a good price...and they'll have many comforts making the commute more enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny3Times View Post
    I'm 6'5 and fit fine in my wife's camry. They get good mileage and hold up well.
    That is really good to know!

6. Banned
    This, I work from home office :-)get great gas mileage
    Attached Images Attached Images

Did 90 each way, Honda civic. Run an Accord now, but I have a Ranger that I am trying to kill to take some pressure off the Accord.

Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    Problem is that these are the "typical" commuter cars everyone is looking for, so you tend to pay a premium for them. They are also the ones that first-time drivers get into, driving up the used pricing as well.

The "granny" cars are a better value, typically nicer and a little larger in size, and tend to be much better taken car of. Older Mercurys, Buicks, Lincolns, and even Cadillacs can be found on good deals in good shape at a good price...and they'll have many comforts making the commute more enjoyable.
    I truthfully haven't even looked into those "granny" cars because they are "granny" cars lol but you swayed my mind a bit and will look into those as well now.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish Boy View Post
    I truthfully haven't even looked into those "granny" cars because they are "granny" cars lol but you swayed my mind a bit and will look into those as well now.
    You're worried about turning in your man card, driving a granny car doesn't require that....you just have to get an AARP card instead.

Seriously though, I would look into them, the market demand is lower for them and dealers are more likely to work with you on price to move them.

By the time you pay for another car and all of the stuff that comes along with it I just dont know how much money you would save. It seems to make sense when thinking about it but on paper it may not.

My work car is a Mazda CX-9. I love that thing. It's a very slightly more masculine version of a mini van. Like I tell my friends, "It's not a mini van! Do you see any sliding doors?" LOL. It doesn't get the mileage that a Camry would get but it is very spacious.

12. Member
    Pontiac Vibe....it's really a Toyota Matrix....but you don't have to pay for the "It's a Toyota" I put over 300K on a 2007 then sold it for $2200.00 a year ago.

13. Member
    I run a Nissan Altima 2004 model. I paid $500 for it and it runs like a champ. Gets around 29 miles to the gallon which double what I was getting in the Suburban. My gas bill went from $90 a week to around $25 tops. It is not manly but I can use my leftover money to buy bullets and baits to make up for the car.

14. Member
    Bought a 2000 Buick Century with 83k for less than 3k, so far it's doing great and rides like the older cars did. Wife wanted to save miles on her Rava 4.
    Rocket

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSexyPhoenix View Post
    By the time you pay for another car and all of the stuff that comes along with it I just dont know how much money you would save. It seems to make sense when thinking about it but on paper it may not.
    Simply removing 15,000 miles a year from a high-end truck is huge. By reducing the number of miles on a high-end truck you get to keep it longer and maintenance is less frequent.

15,000 miles on a truck is WAY more expensive than 15,000 miles on a car. The car itself costs considerably less and the upkeep is considerably less - tires are cheaper, oil changes are cheaper, less wear on components due to it being much lighter, and so on. There's a lot more advantages to it than just fuel savings alone.

16. Member
    4 Cylinder Camry

17. Member
    I also drive 90 miles round trip and I drive all over the State of Maine for my son's AAU Basketball and travel soccer. Some weekends I put in over 200 miles. In 2014, I bought a Mazda 2, new for just under $12k,no trade. I already have 160K miles on it without a single issue. For mileage I get 38ish MPG.

18. Banned
    My daughter works for a car dealership. I told her to look for a beater for me to drive back and forth to work... Called and said they got a 1997 Ford Ranger in on trade... I bought it for $300, replace shocks, struts, brakes and rotors. It's a rust buck but serves its purpose... Dan

19. Member
    I feel your pain. I had to start commuting and average 1K miles a week and a truck just wasn't practical when looking at fuel, tires, breaks etc. I bought a 2015 Certified Camry a couple of months ago. I went with an LE, base but has everything I need. 4 cylinder and is actually fairly peppy. I love that I now get 33.5 MPG, regular gas and it's pretty comfortable. I thought I was going to hate it but after a couple of months, I am really enjoying the car!

20. Member
    based on 20K miles a year and gas at $2.89 a gallon the difference between 18 mpg and 28 mpg is $1150.00
    Then you have to figure in car cost, insurance, maint, registration, etc.

So then....
    You have to figure in the depreciation of 20K miles put on your truck and all the related costs....then compare the 2.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast