Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Commute to work car?

Well I hate to do this and possibly have my man card revoked but I'm looking for a used car to use on my daily 80 mile round trip to work and home. My tundra is running me about $130 in fuel just during the week for work and I'm kinda leaning towards just leaving it hooked up to the boat and maybe for some winter use. I'm 6'4" and about 250lbs and would like to spend about $8k or less what do you guys suggest?
    2018 Nitro Z21

I'm better than you
    http://www.facebook.com/vincent.hytry

2. Banned
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good, used Subaru.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

4. Member
    Stay with Toyota. They run forever. A camery, corella, or even Prius.

5. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowhuntercoop View Post
    If you like your toyota I agree with this....except for the Prius unless you have a great understanding of how a battery change would work out for you.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

Quote Originally Posted by bdog7198 View Post
    If you like your toyota I agree with this....except for the Prius unless you have a great understanding of how a battery change would work out for you.
    Do you have any knowledge about batteries going bad? Not trying to be argumentative, genuinely curious. I've read a LOT of experiences with people having first generation Priuses with battery packs still going strong, and about newer ones going hundreds and hundreds of thousands of miles without needing replacement.

I also ask because I was going to suggest finding a used Prius, enjoying the fuel economy, and driving it until the wheels fall off. My in-laws have one that's 12 years old with almost 200k that's never even thought about missing a beat. They considered selling it, but haven't seen any need as it's so reliable and cheap to operate.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

7. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Do you have any knowledge about batteries going bad? Not trying to be argumentative, genuinely curious. I've read a LOT of experiences with people having first generation Priuses with battery packs still going strong, and about newer ones going hundreds and hundreds of thousands of miles without needing replacement.

I also ask because I was going to suggest finding a used Prius, enjoying the fuel economy, and driving it until the wheels fall off. My in-laws have one that's 12 years old with almost 200k that's never even thought about missing a beat. They considered selling it, but haven't seen any need as it's so reliable and cheap to operate.
    Any battery can and will go bad, last I heard they were supposed to last 10 years, but a lot depends on use. To me its just a part of checking out a used car before I purchase it. There are things which need checked, with hybrids like Prius that includes the battery pack. I personally just would not do it until I understood fully how all that works. There are plenty of other cars which get 30-40 mpg that are less complicated.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

Quote Originally Posted by bdog7198 View Post
    Any battery can and will go bad, last I heard they were supposed to last 10 years, but a lot depends on use. To me its just a part of checking out a used car before I purchase it. There are things which need checked, with hybrids like Prius that includes the battery pack. I personally just would not do it until I understood fully how all that works. There are plenty of other cars which get 30-40 mpg that are less complicated.
    Absolutely agree with that sentiment.

I've also heard the 10-year mark and know that was a big concern for the first several years they were being sold. Based on everything I've heard and read, it seems the software Toyota implements for maintaining the batteries (specifically I suppose that's the way in which and levels at which it charges/discharges them) is resulting in battery packs lasting much much longer than that 10 year mark. That being said, definitely another thing to consider!

I've also read about a place that I believe is in a bedroom community of Chicago in WI that is replacing battery packs in these hybrids with new technology that affords a lot more power from the batteries and increases fuel economy substantially. I'll see if I can find it.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

9. Member
    My commute is 150mi round trip daily. My previous commuter car was a Toyota Corrolla it got totaled in April due to hitting a deer, I paid 2,750 for it 3 years ago with 130,000 on the odometer. My insurance paid me 2,950 on the totaled vehicle. I went and found another 2000 Corolla with 140,000k on it and paid 3,000 for it.

IF you can find a early 2000's Toyota buy it.... they are close to bullet proof and if something does break repair don't cost a arm and leg.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post

We recently were in NYC, and so many taxi cabs in service there were Prius'. If they will hold up to Manhattan roads and traffic, they are really worth a look into.

We just hit 17k miles on a completely new generation 2018 Camry Hybrid. So far, it has been percect.And gets 52 mpg in town and 48 mpg @ 80 mph. It is quiet, very smooth and surprisingly quick by any standards. And it would be a great car for anyone driving high miles.

The old nickel style batteries may eventually go out on any hybrid vehicle at 150-200k miles. The cars may only have a few bad batteries out of maybe 80 small batteries linked. Instead of paying $3300 for a full new battery pack, just replace the few bad batteries with used (and tested) batteries and keep on the road.

lots of cars and trucks run forever and all brands have problems. Find you a late 90's or very early 2000's, Pontiac Bonneville or Buick Park Avenue with the 3.8 v6 in it. One of the best motors made and should not break the bank to buy. They usually get around 28mpg.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbassman87 View Post
    lots of cars and trucks run forever and all brands have problems. Find you a late 90's or very early 2000's, Pontiac Bonneville or Buick Park Avenue with the 3.8 v6 in it. One of the best motors made and should not break the bank to buy. They usually get around 28mpg.
    My mom had a delta 88 with that motor and I was impressed with the mpgs. Great car also.
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

13. Banned
    Problem is that these are the "typical" commuter cars everyone is looking for, so you tend to pay a premium for them. They are also the ones that first-time drivers get into, driving up the used pricing as well.

The "granny" cars are a better value, typically nicer and a little larger in size, and tend to be much better taken car of. Older Mercurys, Buicks, Lincolns, and even Cadillacs can be found on good deals in good shape at a good price...and they'll have many comforts making the commute more enjoyable.

14. Member
    Love the Ruckus

Or the Grom
    Hi Mike.

15. Member
    Friend of mine bought a used Kia and drove it for about 10 years before he retired . Said he saved a lot of gas . I would go to reputable used car dealer and try out which one suits you best . Especially comfort both getting in/out and driving .

16. Member
    I think for $8k you'll be sorry. Plus you have to factor in taxes, insurance, repairs, etc.
    Drive what you own, make a different decision on your next primary driver.

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    I think for $8k you'll be sorry. Plus you have to factor in taxes, insurance, repairs, etc.
    Drive what you own, make a different decision on your next primary driver.
    Speaking from experience, I completely disagree with this statement.

18. Member
    I handed in my man card a while back I guess. My truck is a GMC Sierra, but my work car is a bright red Mazda 3 with a butterfly license plate and polka dot keychain.

Was my wife's first car that she bought when she turned 16. My round trip each day is also just over 80 miles, and that car gets about 33ish.

19. Member
    My round trip each day is 136 miles. I'd love to find an electric vehicle to commute in.
    Hi Mike.

20. Member
    Just about any smaller car will cut the gas bill a bunch. Trick is to find one to fit you.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast