Banned

1999 johnson 150 lubrication

There are 2 grease fittings behind the lower steering cable. How do you get to them? Do you have to take the piece that holds the steering cables off?

2. Member
    I'd like to hear someone's thoughts on this as well. I have the same Stratos 273 w/ 150 Johnson. When the trim gets towards the bottom, it starts jerking & jumping. I've been thinking about removing the steering cable, but it seems like there should be an easier way connecting to these grease fittings.

3. Member
    The same problem happens with bull horn mounted hydraulic steering. If you have dual cable set-ups you will need to remove the cable to get access to these grease nipples, just like you have to remove the hyd cylinder. If your P/T/T is jerking, greasing these nipples is good practice as a service procedure but your tilt tube nut will be loose and needs to be tightened.

4. Banned
    Where is tilt tube nut?

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    You can get to those Zirc fittings with a flexible hose grease gun the tilt tube nut is the large nut on the motor where the rear cable enters the motor. It is 1 1/4".

6. Banned
    I will pay you $100 if you can grease the 2 fittings I am trying to with a flexible hose grease gun. The hose is not the problem, the part that fits on the zerc is the problem. The threaded pipe that houses lower steering cable is in the way no matter how you tilt or turn the motor.

7. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Have you tried to turn the fitting for easier access?

8. Member
    The tilt tube nut I referred to will not allow easier access to the grease nipples but if loose will cause the power trim/titl to bounce like a poster asked about. If it is too hard to remove the cables each time you want to grease these, you can get grease nipples with an elbow that may fit and allow easier access to them.

9. Member

10. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stratos273v View Post
    I will pay you $100 if you can grease the 2 fittings I am trying to with a flexible hose grease gun. The hose is not the problem, the part that fits on the zerc is the problem. The threaded pipe that houses lower steering cable is in the way no matter how you tilt or turn the motor.
    It's a long drive from KY to FL but if you want to make the trip I'll grease it for you and install the 45* Zirc fittings that should have been installed when the front steering tube was installed.