Question How long/often you guys fishing jerkbaits?

I know it's primarily and early spring and late fall bait, but was curious if any of you are throwing it at different times of the year, and when. I'm still trying to get some confidence in that bait, learning what I can. I had a good day with it a few weeks ago fishing the prespawn on Newfound, water was about 57. Had some chasers on my swimbaits, figured they'd hit a jerkbait fished aggressively with just a few pauses, and they did. Felt good to finally recognize some good jerkbait conditions, and then capitalize on it. I'd like to continue to fish them through the year if I can, just not sure if it's really a worthwhile bait when the water gets too warm.

2. Member
    It will work all year round,had a partner who fished them from Ice to Ice.
    Red Sox in 6!

Give me some wind and chop and I'll throw them all year.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrog Phil View Post
    It will work all year round,had a partner who fished them from Ice to Ice.
    Yup^^^^^^

I throw them all year round. I prefer frogging for the "sport" of it and the exciting hits during the summer but once the sun comes up and the bass look for deeper water as the water temps warm and the boat activity increases I will start to throw a deep jerkbait to pull them up from 20' and they hit it at 10'. It has to be the right lake to do this since water clarity is crucial.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Podcast View Post
    Yup^^^^^^

I throw them all year round. I prefer frogging for the "sport" of it and the exciting hits during the summer but once the sun comes up and the bass look for deeper water as the water temps warm and the boat activity increases I will start to throw a deep jerkbait to pull them up from 20' and they hit it at 10'. It has to be the right lake to do this since water clarity is crucial.
    Which jerkbaits do you throw, and what's your retrieve cadence for the summer months?

6. Member
    Pointers,visions for the most part and for Smallmouth I jerk,jerk,jerk,jerk etc
    Red Sox in 6!

I had a season a few years back where I threw it most of the year. Obviously fished it faster in the summer than any other time. But I feel like it gets their attention at times when other things won't. I also throw super flukes in the same places, but not when it's so windy it won't sink.
    I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.

I put them away when the spawn hits .. break then back out when the water hits 55 and lower .. just for the fact I hate dealing with small treble hooks