Thread: 4 stroke 150

4 stroke 150

Looking for any tips on how to take care of this motor I’m a new boat owner and just want to take care of it.
    Its a 2012 with 110 hours runs perfect.
    I started it with the motor up at around 8 on the smartgauge it started peeing a little slower than usual and not as strong of a stream...so I’m assuming that’s wrong. Did that hurt anything?
    also is it ok once I get it goin and peeing strong to raise it (trim it) to about 10 on the smart gauge?

If your comfortable with your level of mechanical ability this is really an easy engine to do most of the maintenance on yourself. There is a QR code under the cowling with a link to videos for regular maintenance items. I would suggest you take it in to a dealer and have a new water pump service kit installed also order a service manual from Merc or your dealer. I would not go by the trim number on the Smartcraft gauge better to get new water pump installed and see what position (number) your boat performs best while maintaining adequate water pressure at wot every boat is different.

Tournament-Fishing \"It\'s not a question of if you will be humbled but how many times\"

3. Member
    Merc recommends changing out spark plugs, alternator belt, thermostat, waterpump assembly, oil and fuel filters, lower unit oil, engine oil, and all anodes every 3 years or 300hrs which ever comes first. If that has not been done, since yours is a 2012, your over due.

Btw I just did this all on my motor even though my 2013 only has 71 hrs on it. Not all too difficult with the exception of putting the lower unit back on without it jumping into gear and shifter handle is in neutral.

Shop around as I got my kit for about $255 to my door.
    2013 Z118 w/Merc 150 4S

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor