Thread: Ledge settings

Ledge settings

What’s the best frequency to use for graphing fish on KY lake? I have helix 12 mega units and was curious what others who are on KY lake are using for best results. I am specifically asking about down and side imaging to show the bass on KY lake. Online research is providing mixed responses. Also if anybody has pics to go along with their suggestion of actual bass on KY lake ledges that would be great. Thanks!

2. Member
    Wired to fish did have some good videos of bass on ledges at Kentucky. As far as side imaging there is no one setting, I change sensitivity often based on bottom hardness. U are looking for shadows that the fish make on side imaging, turning your contrast up some will help with this. Its my experience that if its 15 or less the fish will scatter and you want be able to see them much on down imaging. That's why you see a lot of schools found in 20 ft of water or more, those fish don't move away as the boat goes over them. But there are a lot of fish people miss that are less that 15 ft. One other thing is the mega schools are almost a thing of the past because of pressure from anglers. Its way more common to find schools of 3 to 5 fish scattered all over. Hope this helps you.
    Matt I
    2006 Triton 20xhp 225 Merc Pro XS
    Solix 15 G1, Solix 12 G2, Helix 12 gen4 12 gen3 , Ultrex 112, Mega 360, Mega Live

Use a Sensitivity setting that will have the bottom dark enough so the light fish returns and shadows won't be washed out by a bright bottom. Ignore the actual number, go by the way the screen looks, adjust as needed.
    I took these screen shots yesterday of bass I was catching, not at KL, but the same applies:

After these screen shots, I switched to 360 to keep up with their movement.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Use a Sensitivity setting that will have the bottom dark enough so the light fish returns and shadows won't be washed out by a bright bottom. Ignore the actual number, go by the way the screen looks, adjust as needed.
    I took these screen shots yesterday of bass I was catching, not at KL, but the same applies:

After these screen shots, I switched to 360 to keep up with their movement.
    Why did you choose 455mhz?

Coverage, 800 kHz has less.

6. Member
    Thanks for the info!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Coverage, 800 kHz has less.
    So mega has even less?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crizzel View Post
    So mega has even less?
    Mega has a little less side coverage than 800 but the same on down imaging

9. Member
    So what do you mean by coverage? I have been assuming SI distance was the coverage and it looks like you are only shooting 50'.

Quote Originally Posted by kluke View Post
    So what do you mean by coverage? I have been assuming SI distance was the coverage and it looks like you are only shooting 50'.
    Humminbird's 455 kHz coverage is more than 180 degrees side to side. It "sees" from the water's surface to past vertical under the transducer on both sides (it's submerged some distance).
    It will do that as long as the transducer is not buried in the bottom. THAT is coverage. I use 50' most of the time to have relative subject sizes to display size (them fish things).
    800 kHz or 1200 kHz does not have 180 degrees of coverage so in shallow depths the outer edge of the view is black or very dim.

This is 200' of coverage (SI Range 100') in less than 4'. THAT is coverage:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL