Oil reservoir issue.

2013 300XS 1E051919
    Fished a 2 day tournament this weekend.. Loaded boat after day one and noticed 2 stroke oil coming from pan.. Traced it back to the reservoir cap which took two full turns to get tight. Did not think I was turning very hard but it stripped when I finger tightened it..
    I cleaned it up real good-- tightened it as much as I thought I could without going to far-- then put a bead of silicone around the cap.
    Next day it lasted until about noon.
    My question for the experts ..
    Is there any reason for the reservoir to have built up more pressure than normal ? Or did the cap just vibrate loose and I overtightened ?
    Also I know the smart thing to do is replace the reservoir.. Just hate to spend money If I think there is a chance to fix it. Might try re-tapping and chase the plastic threads then use a little Teflon tape.

2. Member
    Could you install some sort of set screw?

Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinF View Post
    Could you install some sort of set screw?
    I think it could be done -- anything to keep it from backing off should work.

4. Member
    I would not use anything on the threads, especially teflon tape. Safest thing to do is buy a new tank.

Check the cap...very carefully, for cracks. I would try a new cap and gasket first, followed by replacing the whole reservoir. Make sure you remove any dried silicone from around cap entrance.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Yup, check gasket well, a small tear is all it takes

thanks to all !!!
    Good to know about the Teflon tape.
    Will try a new lid and gasket first.

Upon close inspection-- the cap threads and O-ring look fine but the threads on reservoir not so good.
    Chased them both with a tap and die then drilled the cap to enable securing it with a zip tie. Hopefully to keep it from backing off.
    Will try that 30 cent zip tie before replacing a $200.00 tank.
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. Member
    Had the same situation 3 years back. Used a hose (dryer) clamp to go around the reservoir & cap. Never an issue since.

Z

had that happen on a 2011 250 pro xs on a 2 day tourney a few years back. was far from my shop,out of town. teflon tape held up well for day 2.

11. Member
    The problem with teflon tape is a small piece can clog an orifice.......BAD things happen after that!

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    The problem with teflon tape is a small piece can clog an orifice.......BAD things happen after that!
    +1

Of all the places to try to scrimp and save... the Oil Injection System is NOT a good place.

Replace the tank, have an oil pump prime done, and know it's right.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor