Thread: Batteries

Question Batteries

I was planning on buying 2 interstate AGM deep cycle batteries for my trolling motor at Costco. Will these preform okay?

2. Member
    Don't do it. much better and cheaper options

Hated interstates. Just never lasted. They are the batteries cheap ass dealers put in boats to sell them for more profit..
    If you have a Batteries and Bulbs store nearby check out the Duracell's. They are made by DEKA and always have the longest reserve capacity and good price.
    You will get a million opinions on batteries so just do yourself a favor and do some research in what to look for in a deep cycle battery.

Duracell group 31 agm for $180 is the best valued agm out there imo and most will agree. Walmart everstarts lead acid for like $90 Are good but they lose life fast when they are used hard. If you want to go high dollar agm at $300-400 go with X2 power, oddessy or northstar.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cape cod basser View Post
    Hated interstates. Just never lasted. They are the batteries cheap ass dealers put in boats to sell them for more profit..
    If you have a Batteries and Bulbs store nearby check out the Duracell's. They are made by DEKA and always have the longest reserve capacity and good price.
    You will get a million opinions on batteries so just do yourself a favor and do some research in what to look for in a deep cycle battery.
    The numbers East Penn puts on their batteries are misleading. Their batteries tend to be about 10% smaller capacity than other manufacturers. For example, their 31 flooded cell deep-cycle is 185 minute RC vs 200-210 for most batteries the same size and 225 for Trojans.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    The numbers East Penn puts on their batteries are misleading. Their batteries tend to be about 10% smaller capacity than other manufacturers. For example, their 31 flooded cell deep-cycle is 185 minute RC vs 200-210 for most batteries the same size and 225 for Trojans.
    Is that because they rate them at 23 amp draw instesad of the standard 25 amp draw for RC numbers?

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    Is that because they rate them at 23 amp draw instesad of the standard 25 amp draw for RC numbers?
    You have to look at the specs on their chart. You can see that they rate some batteries both at 23 and 25 amps. The very common 31 wet deep cycle is rated at 225 RC at 23 amps and 190 at 25 amps. Like Catfan mentioned, the JCI 31 wet deep cycle batteries are 210 RC at 25 amps. However, in the 27 wet deep cycle, the Deka has a higher RC than the JCI (175 vs 160) at 25 amps.

To the OP, if you are not aware, JCI makes Interstate. Good batteries. Most important to read the date stamp and pick fresh ones.

https://www.eastpennmanufacturing.co...Sheet-0194.pdf
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

8. Member
    get the regular lead acid interstates work great and plenty of battery for your needs
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

9. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    get the regular lead acid interstates work great and plenty of battery for your needs
    That's what I would get. I have those in my boat since it was new, they work great. Interstates are decent batteries. I have had one fail in the past when it was a year old, but it was replaced at no charge.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

10. Member
    I buy the ones Autozone sells,Everywhere you go,a replacement is less than 20 miles away.With one of the high end super on line batteries,that takes a week to replace your dream fishing trip you planned all year is a wash

11. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    I buy the ones Autozone sells,Everywhere you go,a replacement is less than 20 miles away.With one of the high end super on line batteries,that takes a week to replace your dream fishing trip you planned all year is a wash
    Same battery as the Interstate and the former Everstart. Good choice for more than just the very good reason you mentioned.
    nothing else matters.​

12. Member
    Ive tied everstarts, centennial and interstates .
    they all seem about the same, last about 4 years

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Same battery as the Interstate and the former Everstart. Good choice for more than just the very good reason you mentioned.
    Catfan, do you know if all of the Walmarts in the US have changed to East Penn as supplier for their Everstart Max?? East Penn is the supplier here in Canada for Walmart marine batteries.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

14. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    Catfan, do you know if all of the Walmarts in the US have changed to East Penn as supplier for their Everstart Max?? East Penn is the supplier here in Canada for Walmart marine batteries.
    Every store I’ve checked has switched, but that’s a pretty small sample. When I was working I had access to some industry news sources that usually covered things like major supplier changes, but I’m not in that loop anymore.
    nothing else matters.​

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post

made by exide now, not east penn here. same price but less of a battery
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

16. Member
    Just bought 2 MAXX 29's yesterday at Walmart. $217 out the door. Replacing batteries dated 2/15. Between 2 boats I run 8 of these Batterys. Never an issue. Yea they are heavy but their cheap and have a good warranty. Remember the Original Battery Tender is your friend.