Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trim making a crackling noise when going down

The trim on my rig is making a crackling noise only when moving downward. I greased every insert I could find (ended up finding three). I topped off the hydraulic fluid but it was already full. Neither of these two things have helped. Thinking about calling the shop to see how long it will take to get in. Hate doing this due to the task of removing everything off the boat and letting it sit outside for days on end while they do their thing.

Anyone seen a trim issue like this?

Sounds like this...

3. Member
    That sounds like the cylinder is binding on something. I would check the bottom of the cylinder swivels.

4. Member
    Try greasing the top of the trim rods, the trim rods usually make contact with wear plates that can be changed if they are too worn out.

5. Member
    ^^^^ grease the balls on the end good with some 2-4 -c

6. Member
    Did you bleed it? Sounds like it may have gotten some air in it.

7. Member
    Try putting a little oil in the gaps in the mount that allows the outboard to tilt up and down. Mines a 225 Opti. On mine, it's the part of the engine that my Sea Star attaches to on the left and right. I wish so could describe it better, as I just quieted mine down doing this and it showed me where the issue was, which was not the trim motor.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big dreams View Post
    Sounds like this...
    Same sound mine started making Saturday morning only when trimming motor down like yours. Then, when I went to put it the garage that afternoon it started making that same sound when I tilted it up. Now it does it both directions. Will be watching this thread...

9. Member
    The hint is it only makes the noise once the outboard makes contact with the trim rods. He has greased every other swivel point. If the balls on the end of the trim rods are bone dry they will often make a creaking sound when they make contact with the wear plates.

10. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rchavis View Post
    This, it's the balls at the end of the rods. Put some marine grease on and your good to go.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain,CT.
    2000 R-81 Ranger, 2015 175 Pro-XS
    Disabled American Veterans, Life Member
    Vietnam Veterans of America, Life Member
    An Khe Vietnam, 66-67

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rchavis View Post
    Yep, 100 % what is going on...

12. Member
    I also greased all my fittings, and lubricated the balls on the trim rods, which still did not fix the creaking noise. The oil as described in my prior post fixed it . The grease from my lubrication points may not have reached as far as needed, and the application of oil in the areas of movement provided enough lubrication to silence the creaking. In my case, it was not the trim balls. In this case, it very well may be the issue, as it has been with we me on occasions.

Thanks guys. I will try greasing the two rod ends tonight with 2-4-c and see what happens. If that doesn't work, Ron H 520, I might be reaching out to get a better idea of where you had to grease.

14. Member
    Check the torque on the bolts mounting the motor to the transom.

15. Member
    I don’t own a Merc but I have Yamaha which has the same basic parts. However the 2 parts that meet I don’t know what they are called. I will try to describe based on what I see in the video. It was said the point where the rams hit the motor. Also at the same time there are two other parts meet on both sides. You see in the video where one part on the Moyer where there’s a single hole the meets the part on the transom that has numerous holes. When those parts meet you begin hearing the noise. Grease the flat of both sides that meet on both sides of the engine. On my Yamaha I could not believe how simple it was to cure. If you look close these two parts are rubbing. Hope this helps.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions on this. Last night I rubbed 2-4-C on the two balls at the ends of each trim rod and the noise went away. To be truthful, I had no idea those were even their. All these years I thought they were solid rods. It makes sense now. Thanks again. You saved me from making an unnecessary trip to the mechanic. Much appreciated!

17. Member
    That would have sucked to make a trip to a shop for that lol...
    If the trim rods have been run dry for a long time they tend to make a divot or groove in the wear plates and that's when they usually make
    a lot of noise as you increase contact surface that the trim rods make with the wear plates therefor increasing the friction. Keep them greased up
    and replace the wear plates if needed. They are easy to change.

I appreciate it Frank. I owe you all a round for sure.

Grease the balls on the end of trim rams. That is DEFINITELY the problem. Doing that every few trips to the lake will cure the problem
    1996 ProGator 200V
    1998 Mercury 225 EFI
    New Carpet
    Seastar Pro Hyd Steering
    Minn Kota Ultrex

20. Member
    Thankx Frank (franktank009) you were spot on, put some grease on top of the trim posts and it eliminated the horrible grinding noise!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast