Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New to the Biffle swing head jig..

Hey fellas I just started to use this technique and wanted some quality info on the baits used and technique involved, much appreciated.

I've been using the 1/2 oz with a Keitech Impact Shad looks just like a large minnow feeding on the bottom.
    22 Triton TRX20 22 Pro XS 250
    16 Triton 1760sc 16 Merc 75hp

Menace grubs and Zoom Z Craws are my go to’s

4. Member
    Those are all good baits. I’ll throw in the Biffle Bug, pit boss, and sweet beaver. I primarily throw it over rip rap and gravel bottoms. Let it sink to the bottom and fish it similar to a crankbait. I like it to keep contact with the bottom. The deflection off of the structure/cover is usually what draws the strikes

5. Member
    Awesome , how about a chigger craw ? Or brush hog? I assume a bait that has some vibe and lives water

6. Member
    I throw a chigger Craw as well but haven’t used a brush hog on them. I’m sure they’d work.

There is a vid on YouTube made by T.Biffle that you should watch. Basscat Tyler covered a bit of it...like a deep crankbait retrieve.
    Last edited by Walkabout7781; 06-14-2018 at 12:10 AM.

8. Member
    Matt Allen over on Tactical Bassin' also just put a good video out on the swing jig technique.

9. Member
    I'm learning that the biffle bug system is extremely versatile. I've had luck with nearly every type of soft plastic. I'm looking at it like a more mobile texas rig. So, if I'm moving a soft plastic like a swimbait, ribbon tail worm, creature bait, or grub on the bottom, I'm going to a biffle bug now.

10. Member
    my son hammers them flippin the biffle head ! with a biffle bug
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

11. Member
    Great tips , I’ll check out those videos as well

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by okiebass View Post
    my son hammers them flippin the biffle head ! with a biffle bug
    same here on flipping the Biffle Head --I generally use a Gambler Burner Craw

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kadas View Post
    same here on flipping the Biffle Head --I generally use a Gambler Burner Craw
    Do you miss very many on the hookset? Are you using an EWG hook, or changing it to a straight shank?

14. Member
    You should really check out the Mustad Fastach heads. You can put whatever hook you want on them and change them out. Like a lot of times a 1/2 or 3/4 oz head will come with a 5/0 hook, too big for a smallie beaver but with these you can put on a 3/0 or whatever. Baits I use are Biffle Bugs, smallie Beavers, Rage Bugs and paddle tails.

15. Member
    Always have one tied on, and have used a lot of different plastics on it. Biffle bug and brush hog are my 2 favorites, but I've been using a Zoom Z Craw a lot lately too. There's really no limit to what works with it, at least not that I can find. It's a super versatile technique.

Above advice is excellent. One thing I haven't seen mentioned that I've had a lot of luck with is working it like a Carolina Rig or football jig. What I mean by this is either drag it along slowly if it's a uniform bottom with pauses along the way, or even better drag it through chunk/mixed rock or over a gravel flat with scattered stumps and other cover until it wants to hang on something. Then lift the rod tip and work it over top of whatever it's hanging on. You will get absolutely thumped just as soon as it comes free of whatever it was hanging on. Offers the fish a different look they don't often get from all the guys throwing Carolina Rigs and football jigs.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

17. Member
    Not trying to hijack the thread but wanting to know about the versatility of his technique. Can you throw this set up along a clumpy grass line with a sandy bottom? I was thinking of throwing a c-rig this year to cover water in this scenario. If this is a viable substitute I would prefer to use it. Appreciate the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by FishinDad View Post
    Not trying to hijack the thread but wanting to know about the versatility of his technique. Can you throw this set up along a clumpy grass line with a sandy bottom? I was thinking of throwing a c-rig this year to cover water in this scenario. If this is a viable substitute I would prefer to use it. Appreciate the feedback.
    I think it depends. It'll get fouled up in milfoil and the like if you get it very far into it, but I've used it along the edges with a lot of success. I've found they come through eelgrass and things like that pretty darn well. I don't know that it comes through much worse than a Carolina rig, it's just that the bait itself isn't away from the weight like it is on a Carolina rig.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinDad View Post
    Biffle heads excel on a sandy bottom. I've never tried to throw them through grass fields but isolated small patches of grass around sandy areas are great for the biffle head.

20. Member
    Another thing I have noticed about using these for smallies......I have to let them “load up” for a good hook set.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast