Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    i wouldn't run my trolling motor without the skeg
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

2. Member
    If you ever spend some time fishing south Louisiana you will learn skegs and lower units don’t last very long

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamblinman View Post
    Think about your steering wheel falling off at 70 mph on the highway. Would you even chance it? Why would you do so in a boat?
    This is a very good example.

I do not recommend repairing, straightening, welding, or otherwise dinking around with the skeg on rigs that exceed 55 mph top hull speed.

As warned several times throughout this thread- LOSS OF the skeg at speed can result in a loss of control, which is unsafe for YOU, your BOAT, and anything in the path of, or near you and your boat.

PROPER repair is replacement of the housing (gears and components CAN be transplanted, though the gearcase must be completely re-shimmed).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Just an update- Haven't fixed the skeg yet, but it appears the bend it not affecting control. Sounds like a winter project at this point. appreciate everyones input

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12