going from 24 v to 36 v

ok so im a little embarrased i have to ask this after all the years and boats ive owned but here it go's. i just bought a new to me boat it is all set up for a 24 as it came with an 80 terrova. i got a stupid deal on a 112 foretrex and sold the terrova. here is the question. i have all 3 batteries i need. but the boat is wired so that there is a positive and negative going to each battery. how do i wire in the third battery....

3. Member
    The same. IF in doubt, put the 3rd battery between the two you have, with positive to negative, one from each current battery.

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    You likely have it jumpered in the plug. Connecting a new battery between the existing batteries would be creating a direct short across the new one. You need to verify that you have it jumped in the plug, then wire the batteries appropriately.
    Remember, Happiness is a way of travel, not a destination.

5. Member
    catfan what am i looking for to see if its jumped in the plug? the plug is standard 4 prong and there are two sets of pos and neg in the back one set to each current battery

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator Jonestrollingmotor's Avatar
    With two sets of wires (one set to each battery) and a 4 prong plug you will most likely have it jumped in the plug. Disassemble the plug and look for a jumper between two of the wires. If so, you can take the positive off battery 2 and place on battery 3 positive. Then place a jumper from battery 2 positive to battery 3 negative and have 36V on the same connections at the plug that you previously had 24.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday Closed, but accepting phone messages
    Talon Specials: Offering packages Call for quote and availability
    Click for website:

7. Member
    thank you so much