HELP NEEDED!!! 01 Triton Tx-186 holeshot nonexistent w/150 Vmax SHO

PLEASE HELP!

I have a 2001 Triton TX-186 (dual console). It is basically the same as the TR-186, but it doesn’t have carpet and has an added baitwell in the back.

I recently replaced the Mercury XR6 150 that came with the boat with a brand new Yamaha Vmax SHO 150. The hole shot on the new Vmax SHO 150 is almost nonexistent. It really struggles just to get on plane.

I am using the 23p Tempest Plus prop that was on the Mercury with the new Vmax SHO. The Tempest has all of the large hole vent plugs installed. With the Vmax SHO, the center of the prop is sitting 4.25” below the bottom of the pad.(This seems kind of low to me)

With 3/4 tank of gas, two adults, and the livewell 1/3 full; it bogs down and barely is able to get up on plane. It takes almost a full 20 seconds for the bow to drop at WOT with the motor trimmed down all the way. When I am finally able to get the boat on plane, the prop tends to want to blowout at WOT or when making turns. I’m getting 59-60k rpms at WOT.(which seems pretty high)

I already have $16k sunk into this motor and so far it has been a huge disappointment.

I came here first because of all of the knowledgeable people on this forum. If one of you guys or gals can’t help me, then nobody can.

If anyone can give me any suggestions on how to fix this issue, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by Grisley; 06-13-2018 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Typo

2. Member
    I would say you might need a different prop. Or plug the holes. Also, that does seem pretty low to have your p2p. I would have whoever installed the motor check it and take it for a run. Did you complete the break in on it?

3. Member
    If it bogs down starting pulling those plugs out until it spins up the way you line it. On my 250 SHO I run two completely open and one with the small hole.

4. Member
    i’m on hour 8 of the break in. Tried raising the motor today only to find that the lift adjustment nut on my Pro hi Jacker jack plate was cracked in half. So the adjustment bolt just free spins now and does not do a thing. Contacted TH marine about getting a replacement nut and still haven’t heard back from them yet. I’ve read in multiple places that vent plugs don’t really do much for 4 stroke engines, due to the way the exhaust is vented on 4 strokes. I guess I can try pulling a few plugs and see if that helps, but I don’t have any solid plugs at the moment.

5. Member

Here is is a photo of how the lift nut cracked.

6. Member
    I have a tr186 with the xr6, I’ve been on other tr186 with optis, I’ve been new trx boats with newer 150s, I can tell you the 150 xr6 makes better raw horsepower than any other 150 built before 2014, with its only downfall being those hot humid summer days. Not only is this my opinion, I’ve had 3 18xs owners in my boat around 2014 and 2015 and they said my 2003 outperformed their boat hands down, hole shot and mid power with only the top end speed being the same, I still had 400 rpm to hit Wot and I rarely push the boat to 60mph with other people in the boat, I usually stop at 57.

For 16k I would have had the dealer do the complete set up. It sounds like they just bolted it on and sent you on your way which is f’d up, water pressure should have been checked at wot, hole shot, jack plate should have been checked as well. The tuck might not be as tight as the xr6 (trim all the way down to keep the nose down) this will affect how long it takes for your boat to plane out. Your motor does seem low and these hulls like the motor high, you will notice less chine with less motor in the water. The difference between the xr6 and any 150 four stroke, Opti, or editing is 1 prop pitch less. Your new motor may outweigh you old 1 and your new lower unit may displace more water, I’m not sure as I’ve never compared side by side but these are all factors that should have been takin into consideration on the set up.

this hull also does really good with the tempest plus props, I turn a 24p and only once did I ever have trouble getting on plane and the coangler that day was 300+ lbs and it was 30 degrees C and I had full gas and live wells. Once I put power poles on it I know I’m going to have to drop to a 23p but I should still be able to turn a 24p in the spring and fall.
    Last edited by Bob McKenzie; 06-24-2018 at 02:38 PM.

7. Member
    Try plugging the vent holes. Put in solid plugs. My old boat had a 175hp SHO. The VMAX SHO props are ventless props. You might be blowing out slightly if you have open vent holes. It's weird that you are having problems with the 150sho. The 150sho has a better holeshot then the 175sho.
    Brad Krone

8. Member
    I’d like to thank you guys for all of the help.

I went fishing this past Saturday. While we were at the boat launch I decided to pull two of the plugs out of the prop. I wasn’t expecting it to help much, but boy was I wrong. I gunned the throttle and the prop was able to spin up properly and it was up on plane in under 3 seconds. This was with 1/2 tank of fuel and fully loaded with gear and two adults. I even filled the livewell all the way up and tried it again and was still able to get on plane in about 3-4 seconds.

I was also able to get up to ~60mph according to my gps, and could’ve probably got it to go even faster on the top end, but I didn’t want to run the motor that hard just yet. I do still experience a small amount of chine and bit of blowout, but it’s very manageable and I’ll probably be able to remedy it once I am able to adjust the jackplate.

I am finally starting to enjoy this new motor.

Thanks again.

9. Banned
    Chine walk really gets started on that hull around 62-63, the higher you can run the motor with less trim the easier it is to manage. I’m not familiar with Yammies so would hesitate to throw any numbers out there. With a Merc 2 stroke 3-1/2 under is gonna get you pretty close on a 6” plate. My boat only chines the last couple MPH on the topside.

Quote Originally Posted by dtrooster View Post
    Chine walk really gets started on that hull around 62-63, the higher you can run the motor with less trim the easier it is to manage. I’m not familiar with Yammies so would hesitate to throw any numbers out there. With a Merc 2 stroke 3-1/2 under is gonna get you pretty close on a 6” plate. My boat only chines the last couple MPH on the topside.
    My 186 would start to walk around 57-58 until I raised the motor. Now it will run 60 with no walk at all.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow