BF 250 Performance update "late innings"

Ok guys if you look back at my first post I was testing with a very heavy load, but typical NY State spring conditions, very low air and water temps. Now testing temps are in the high 70's to low 80's most days for the air temps and water temps in the low 70's. Even with with the Higher temps my speed is going up with the work and testing I am doing and my gal per hour of coarse are coming down.

Last Sunday I got to test my worked Tempest "it was a stock 24 now it is a 24.89" and it put up what I would call a great hole shot and because it was now worked it turned RPM's very easy. It turned RPM's so easy that with only me in the boat I was on the limiter and with two people it was 6350 . The problem I had was I was on a small lake for testing and I could not find room to open it up all the way. The new worked prop had me close to 68 mph but not enough room to wind out to 68. The bottom line I think that the worked prop with as much weight as you can put in the boat plus a full tank of fuel, two guys and with temps in the 80's is at best a 68.5 mph prop. I do think it needs to go back for more pitch say make it a 25.5 because I don't like the idea that I can hit the limiter when I'm by myself. Now the other thing I noticed with my worked prop is that it now has such low slip the Honda now likes to run high. With the 2 stock Tempest props I ran it liked to run way low like 4 inch below pad now i'm running best numbers 2 to 1.5 below pad.

Still my best top speed of a hair over 70 MPH was with a 26 Fury, the problem I have with this prop is that it is just not the hole shot I would want and of coarse it turns lower RPM's.

The bottom line is that I started this testing getting low end speeds of 64 to 66 and high end speeds of 66 to 67 mph with 2 stock props and the best running conditions you could ask for. Now with a stock 26 Fury and a worked Tempest even with a very heavy load and under bad weather conditions I'm 68 to 70 MPH pending the prop.

My question to you guys would be if it were you would you send the Tempest back out and make it like a 25.5 or would you send the 26 Fury out that you know is faster and see if they can make it turn up faster and produce more rpm's???

I'm afraid I know the answer send both out and see what one works the best lol.

If I had to pick I'd stick with working the Tempest...

If you do that you are always going to wonder about the Fury though...

I honestly think you aren't going to squeeze much more out of either though in terms of top end...You didn't buy the Honda for top end speed so prop it for what it is...

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassmasterffej View Post
    If I had to pick I'd stick with working the Tempest...

If you do that you are always going to wonder about the Fury though...

I honestly think you aren't going to squeeze much more out of either though in terms of top end...You didn't buy the Honda for top end speed so prop it for what it is...
    Do you feel the Tempest because they handle best? Do you think a Fury after work will bring rpm's up?

The 26 Fury seems a bit big for the Honda...It is my understanding that there isn't a whole lot they can do in terms of working a Fury...Why not just try a blueprinted and balanced 25 Fury? You could also try a Bravo and/or a Fury 4 blade?

The main reason you bought the Honda was to get back to weigh your fish while other motors have let you down...If I were you I'd take the great hole shot and 68 mph while heavily loaded and be done with spending $$$ on props/prop work.

You could have bought the V8 Pro XS but the reliability is unknown at this point...Take a look at the performance bulletin Mercury has released for the 721 with the V8 250 Pro XS...Pretty impressive!
    Attached Images Attached Images