175 tracker struggling to get on plane. 60hp Mercury 4 stroke

-hello all! New to me 2013 bass tracker 175 with a mercury 60 4stroke. I wanted some advice on what I should do to help the boat get on plane faster. I’m well versed in trimming the motor, but wondered if I should try a different prop. It currently has a stainless steel prop.

2. Member
    Is there a pin not letting the motor tuck all the way under? What prop cams on the rig when you got it?

3. Member
    It will trim all the way down. Could just be underpowered. The prop is a 3 blade ss powertech plus

4. Member
    What pitch is the prop?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thedarktitan View Post
    It will trim all the way down. Could just be underpowered. The prop is a 3 blade ss powertech plus
    Looks like it’s rated for a 75. A 60 should do fine on that rig. My guess is something else is amiss.

As mentioned above, what pitch prop? Ideally you want to make sure the cable hasn’t stretched and you’re still getting WOT as well. Heck I’ve seen plenty sat at about 95% on the PCM brand new at WOT to have a little buffer. Running a team boat and giving demo rides I always had mine at 100% out of the gate. At 100 hours the cables would have stretched allowing a few percent off. These new computerized motors are not as simple as they once were. Thus the cost of taking them in and letting a dealer make adjustments once and a while.

6. Member
    I didn’t see a pitch number on it.

7. Member
    Ehh not sure the boat probably has under 10 hours on the motor

8. Member
    A five year old boat with less than ten hours, how old is the fuel in it?

You may have to pull the prop, sometimes the pitch is stamped on the hub.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    A five year old boat with less than ten hours, how old is the fuel in it?

You may have to pull the prop, sometimes the pitch is stamped on the hub.
    ha yeah the guy that had it before didn’t have a clue. We drained all the gas and changed the fluids

As mentioned above.
    I bet someone put a 14 or 15 pitch prop on it. If so, it’s to big in a ss. 13p ss Trophy Sport is bad a— on this rig. Or a 14p Spitfire aluminum prop. But I would have the cable setting checked to.

Set up right, it’s a on plane break over. In under 3 seconds.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorglenn View Post
    As mentioned above.
    I bet someone put a 14 or 15 pitch prop on it. If so, it’s to big in a ss. 13p ss Trophy Sport is bad a— on this rig. Or a 14p Spitfire aluminum prop. But I would have the cable setting checked to.

Set up right, it’s a on plane break over. In under 3 seconds.
    do you have the same rig?

do you have the same rig?
    Yes but it’s a 06. So bottom chime measurement is 54” instead of 60” as yours. But I know guys running the same setup on your boat. And on here there are some guys running the same setup with the 60hp. On RT models.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

Mine has the 60 with a spitfire 13 pitch aluminum prop and it get on plane quick!!
    2022 Xpress H17 - Yamaha SHO 90

14. Member
    Here was my response to your post over in the prop section...

What can you tell us about your current setup, what prop and pitch, what are the RPM's and GPS speed at WOT, how much weight is the typical load, how high is the motor mounted?

I have tried a few different props... stock Merc 3 blade 14P aluminum (I think its a Black Max), Solas Amita4 13P, and Merc Trophy Sport 13P. All three seemed to get on plane fairly well, and havnt noticed much difference between them when it came to hole shot, but I usually dont have much weight in the boat. The stock 3 blade had the best top speed 38 mph GPS at 6000 rpm. The Solas Amita4 just didnt seem to have enough rake or cup, seemed to wash out too easily. The Trophy sport I have only managed to get to 36 mph so I lost a couple mph on the top, but might have a little better mid range handling? My motor may be mounted a bit too deep as well, as its mounted as low as it can go, and I would like to move it up a hole or two when I get the opportunity. Well to be honest I will be adjusting it up once I get my 4" jack plate I purchased this spring installed, just need to build some framework to hold the motor.
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

Quote Originally Posted by R2Tracker View Post
    Here was my response to your post over in the prop section...

What can you tell us about your current setup, what prop and pitch, what are the RPM's and GPS speed at WOT, how much weight is the typical load, how high is the motor mounted?

I have tried a few different props... stock Merc 3 blade 14P aluminum (I think its a Black Max), Solas Amita4 13P, and Merc Trophy Sport 13P. All three seemed to get on plane fairly well, and havnt noticed much difference between them when it came to hole shot, but I usually dont have much weight in the boat. The stock 3 blade had the best top speed 38 mph GPS at 6000 rpm. The Solas Amita4 just didnt seem to have enough rake or cup, seemed to wash out too easily. The Trophy sport I have only managed to get to 36 mph so I lost a couple mph on the top, but might have a little better mid range handling? My motor may be mounted a bit too deep as well, as its mounted as low as it can go, and I would like to move it up a hole or two when I get the opportunity. Well to be honest I will be adjusting it up once I get my 4" jack plate I purchased this spring installed, just need to build some framework to hold the motor.
    With the 13p Trophy, and set prop to pad with the JP at 5-3/4”. You’ll gain back that lost speed. And if your light as you say. Could see 39

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

I got a 13p spitfire that made a world of difference, it gets on plane super fast now.

17. Member
    Too much prop. I have the same rig. 14 Spitfire. No problem at all. Sounds like somebody read the internet too much and wanted to go fast. Just not what these rigs are about.

Pop

Quote Originally Posted by mha View Post
    Too much prop. I have the same rig. 14 Spitfire. No problem at all. Sounds like somebody read the internet too much and wanted to go fast. Just not what these rigs are about.
    I hit 39 MPH on my GPS, that's with only me and a little more then a quarter tank of gas and smooth water :) but damn it don't eat much gas and it works excellent on all my small local lakes...