200 Opti just shut down

2007 200 Optimax (on a P2 but don't think that matters). Fished last Friday, Saturday and a Tx on Sunday. No issues at all on Friday, Saturday morning dumped the boat in, started the motor, put down the poles and parked the truck (so it was idling a good 4-5 mins till I got back). Area by ramp is shallow so I had to idle out maybe 200 yards to get out of the no wake so I feel it was plenty warmed up. Took off and ran maybe 1/4 mile in calm water when the motor just shut down, no noises, no alarm...nothing. I wasn't even running hard maybe 45 mph. First think I thought of way maybe my kill switch got killed but it didn't. Trimmed up to check prop/lower unit and everything was fine. Motor fired right back up, I checked the temp of the water coming out of the pisser and it was just regular warm, not hot (I don't have a temp gauge unfortunately) I ran the rest of the day and Sunday with no issues. I was a little nervous so I didn't even run WOT the rest of the weekend.

The motor has a newer compressor and fuel rails (2014) and a new lower unit (2015). Haven't had a problem with it this year at all. Was properly put away for the winter, new plugs this year (and every year) and I I fill up with ethanol free 75% of the time (whenever I can get it). Marine Stabil and Ring Free in every tank.

I hate having something like this happen and not know what it is.

2. Member
    Also forgot to add, brand new starting battery this year that was fully charged and the only think that was on was my graphs and they didn't shut down.

3. Member
    Probably the cannon plug under the cowl towards the front. Pins sometimes touch and shutdown and start up no problem. Also possible dirty terminals on the same plug.

4. Member
    3.0L SECTION
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    See Sticky Posts at the top of the forum- Please post in the correct forum for your engine, and provide the Engine Serial Number.

Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor