Question Motorguide wiring - older 71 lb 24V Digital Freshwater Series TM

I have an older 71 lb Motorguide TM. I'm replacing the batteries and noticed there are is a red and orange positive wire. After some research it sounds like it's set up for both a 12V or 24V configuration. I have a few questions I'm hoping some can help me with. Do I need to wire up both the 24V and 12V wires or can I just tie in the 24V wire? Is the orange the 24V connection? Is there a wiring diagram available?

Thanks for any feedback.
    2008 BassCat Puma with a Mercury 250 Pro XS / 1996 Champion 186 with a Mercury 175 EFI

2. Member
    There are no more 12/24 volt troll motors that are made. Abandon the orange and just use the red and black. Google 24 volt troll motor system or look at the headers at the top of this page and you will find a diagram of a 24 volt troll motor system.

3. Member
    I see you have a 2008 Basscat Puma. Take the plug out of the boat and verify which wires are connected to the plug, or use a volt meter and insert the probes in the plug to see the voltage. I think you'll find the ground on the "L" shaped prong and the 24V wire on the first prong clockwise from the ground. If that is correct, wire the plug accordingly.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

4. Member
    Thanks for the guidance. I actually have two boats and the TM in question is on my 97 Champion. I will see if I can look at the connections at the TM.

Bradrodfish - are you sure the orange is the 12V side?

Thanks again.
    2008 BassCat Puma with a Mercury 250 Pro XS / 1996 Champion 186 with a Mercury 175 EFI

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kmelford View Post

Bradrodfish - are you sure the orange is the 12V side?

Thanks again.
    That's going to depend on how Champioin wired the boat. In most cases, yes, but I've seen it used as the 24V side also. Look at the batteries. If it comes off either end of the jumper it's 12V. If it comes off the "2nd" battery, it's 24V
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

6. Member
    John Is correct/. My bad on that. I should have clarified that. most cases is 12V. Do as John suggest. Look at the wires and then put a meter on the connections to be 100% sure you have 24V

7. Member
    Thank you for all the feedback. I figured it out. After I got into it, the electrical connections at the bow under the deck was only connected to the 12V system which means I've been running that way since I bought it a year ago. I changed it to the 24V connection and expect better and longer performance.

Thanks again.

8. Member
    don't be surprised if you have issues. I worked on a 36 volt motor last week and the owner ran it on 24 for about 2 years. That smoked the armature and melted some wires. Let us know how you fare with this unit.