Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thinking About Buying a Champion...

Its a great deal on a boat thats a little bit out of my price range (Im paying out of pocket, don't want a loan) but I think I have convinced myself to just go for it. I have a few questions that I hope you guys can help me out with. The boat is a 2004 198 (elite?) with a 225 pro xs.

1. Apparently the trailer brakes were removed permanently and both the guy selling it and the mechanic that looked at it for me said it was not a big deal and everyone around there does it. To me it seems odd to not have brakes on a tandem axle trailer, what are your guys thoughts? Also does anyone have a ballpark on what it would cost me to reinstall them? I'm kind of concerned about this because i'd be towing it a LONG ways to get it back home.

2. What length trolling motor shaft do you all use? I've read that champions tend to sit a little nose high compared to other bass boats and was wondering if a 45 inch shaft still works fine or will it come out of the water with any sort of waves/wake?

3. It has a 24p fury, seems a little small for this rig, no?

3. Any thing else I should know? Any upgrades or add ons to these boats that in your opinion are a must have?

I feel like I had more questions, they'll probably come to me here in a little bit.

I'm pretty excited right now, don't know if i'll be able to sleep until i'm able to get it out on the water for the first time. It's going to be a huge upgrade from my little skeeter sx170.

2. Member
    1. I'm glad I have trailer brakes on mine. Not sure what it would cost to replace them, but I'd do it.
    2. I currently have a 45, but when I go to the ultrex I'll have one that is 52. I fish Lake Michigan and I like the extra length.
    3. Not sure, others will be along that know more.
    4. There is no limit to what you might add. I had a ton of upgrades added to mine when I purchased it.

Good luck with your purchase!

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

3. Member
    I like my trailer brakes especially when it’s raining. The 24 Fury can run a little stiff, just have to test drive it before you buy it.

Replace the brakes! Minnesota requires them on trailers with a load capacity over 3000 lbs. I would guess your tandem is 3500.

I did mine this winter and I spent about a G on parts. Did the labor myself. Not too hard.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 86 inches View Post
    Replace the brakes! Minnesota requires them on trailers with a load capacity over 3000 lbs. I would guess your tandem is 3500.

I did mine this winter and I spent about a G on parts. Did the labor myself. Not too hard.
    Ya I did a little research last night and that seems like the case for pretty much every state. Does anyone know what kind of/size brakes the champion trailers require? The more I think about it I really want to get them on before towing the boat back. Safety and legally wise I really dont want to risk it

6. Banned
    I had a 1997 Sprint 207DC I bought new that did not have brakes. Pulled it with a Ford F150 for years and never ever felt unsafe... If you want to replace them call Ranger and get the parts or UFP, either should be able to help you... Dan

http://www.dexteraxle.com/ufp/contact-us/contact-form

7. Member
    If you don't buy it PM me the information !!!!

8. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    UFP has/had two brake systems. My 07 has the DB35 which is the later model. DB42 is the earlier. I don't know which the 04s have. Also depends on if it is a single or dual axle trailer as to which hub/rotors it has. Hopefully, someone with a 04 will chime in. They have different bolt patterns for mounting, so not interchangeable. Need to find out if they just pulled the calipers and plugged the lines or just what they did to remove the brakes. That will be the best scenario and least parts. There are lots of vendors for UFP brake parts. I order from a couple of different distributors, https://www.trailerpartsdepot.com/ & https://www.easternmarine.com/. Good Luck!!

P.S. -- I failed to notice that you said it was a tandem. The GVWR should be listed on the VIN placard. On mine, it is on the inside of the trailer, starboard side, just aft of the front cross member.
    Last edited by Tx Champ; 06-12-2018 at 08:53 AM.

9. Banned
    The brakes were gone on my 2005 198 when I bought it and thought I’d replace them, but have not. So far no problem stopping, but I do have a f350 so that might help.

45” fortrex, works fine; but next time it will be the 52”.

I run 24” pitch props (tempest, Bravo xs & Fury)

Check the transom (should be composite, but still check it) and if it’s never been re-sealed do it when now (if you buy it). Mine was not sealed worth a damn and had been soaking water into the hull.

I had a Skeeter before and it beat the crap out of me, this boat is awesome in the whitecaps. I have a buddy that dearly wants to buy it from me because of how it rides. He might get it someday.

Actually, the DB42 and DB35 are interchangeable. The DB42 mounts on a bracket and the DB35 mounts straight to the back holes on the brake flange.

You probably have 10"rotors. You should verify the following with someone who knows for sure but I bet these are the parts you will need; (1) UFP A-60 Tandem Hydraulic Disc Brake Actuator Inner Slide UFP34044 $164.99, (4)UFP DB-35 5-Lug 10" Zinc Plated Rotor Assembly #41019 $75.00 each, (2) UFP DB-35 Disc Brake Caliper Complete Set of Two, Left and Right Zinc Plated UFP41050L_UFP41050R (They are actually the same parts but these are already set up for left and right) $142.98 a pair. You probably will have to replace the brake lines, too. If so, I would recommend the thermoplastic flexible hydraulic brake lines. I did it the hard way and replaced mine with new steel lines but it required a lot of measuring and then bending to the right shape - and that required a few tricks here and there.

You can always send a PM to DABS here on BBS. I'm pretty sure he knows everything there is to know about trailer brakes including which parts are on your trailer. He is very nice and will be glad to help you out.

12. Member
    Thank you everyone for your help. I just got off the phone with the owner and in about a weeks time I'll be the proud owner of a champion!

13. Member
    45” is too short offshore in wind.

14. Member
    the 198 is a great boat . Your gona love it , congrats ��

15. Member
    My 2003 206 had the UFP DB35 brake calipers and the 60 actuator on the original factory trailer. I think I might still have the manuals
    Charles Prue - Linthicum Heights, MD
    2003 Champion 206 Elite - 250 VMax

16. Banned
    ... Pictures when you get a chance... Dan

17. Member
    Brake work on these trailers can be problematic. I’d would tow boat home and work on brakes there. I have a 06 198 replaced the brake system the first year I bought it. I would buy new actuator, calipers, pads and hoses. Also depending on if you have a swing away it’s a good idea to get a separate ground to the brake solenoid. These trailers rust real bad causing bad connections through the swing away hitch. If you need help on any of it please pm me. 198 is a great boat sitting on a junk trailer.

18. Member
    Another Champ coming to MN, congrats! Pics when you get it home.

A 45" will work but put two big boys in the back and the prop will surface. Heck just climbing down off the bow to retie will surface the prop if Mr Gambler is the backseater.

At least that was the experience I had with an Ulterra in my 202.

I now have the Ultrex 52" and I'm tickled pink with it!
    Last edited by BigMouth; 06-14-2018 at 11:26 AM.

20. Member
    Maybe he is not going to run 4 series 29 batteries in the back !!
    Mike Matthews

U.S.N. 1963-1969

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast