Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Can't decide on motor

Starting to line things up for purchase of a Phoenix. My goal is to buy next March after a return from active duty. I originally was planning a ProXS 2 stroke then started considering Yamaha. I had finally decided to stay with the ProXS when the new 4 stroke came out and pretty much shuts down my plans for the 2 stroke. Right now I could honestly go Evinrude, Merc, or Yami. I wanted to stay with 2 stroke as long as I could just due to it being a proven platform. I know 4 stroke is the future but I was hoping to buy myself 10 years. I like it just the same as I still love 2 stroke dirt bikes, Its familiar and I am comfortable.

My take on the big 3 outboards, the 89 Evinrude 200hp that we had growing up was the best motor I have ever been around as far as reliability. Obviously its a different engine now but its the only two stroke left. In regards to the new Merc, I don't know that its a great idea to buy the first year or two of this new platform. Unless I get really compelling reasons to go Merc I think it will be my last choice for the reason. The Yami is a proven engine and it good, I would just rather buy an engine built in the US if I could. As far as 2 stroke vs 4 stroke, It doesnt bother me to add oil with gas just as it wouldnt bother me to change the oil twice a year. As much as I spend on fishing I cannot begin to complain about operating costs. Top end performance isnt the most important thing on my mind but I cant stop thinking about it either.
    -2016 Phoenix 721 250 Pro XS
    -Old Rig-2006 Triton TR-196 200HP Optimax

2. Banned
    Well, spec that boat out with a G2. You have no losers here, as all the motors.are good.

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    Well, spec that boat out with a G2. You have no losers here, as all the motors.are good.
    oh yeah....

I would go 4stroke Mercury. They have tested them in the neighborhood of 25,000 hours. Just look at their 150 4stroke. It has been flawless.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

5. Member
    Yamaha said the same thing when theirs first came out. I don't think first or second year runs of any platform is a great idea. 99% of the time they update something that was an oversight whether small or big

I’d get a sho

7. Banned
    Went from Merc to G2 no regrets here.

I would get the new Merc 4 stroke.

It's been in testing for 2 years...I think the bugs are worked out. You will see a few on Elite boats in a month.

9. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Pretty sure you can't get a SHO unless it's on a Skeeter. That's what a dealer told me.
    He said If you have a SHO on your Phoenix, it's a unicorn and you better keep it. I was like, What? Then he told me that.
    They have/had 1 Phoenix left in stock with a sho on it, and was thinking about hanging on to it

If you want a Pro xp there is plenty in stock on a Phoenix right now.

10. Member
    Once you go 4 stroke you will love it. That said I wouldn't do the merc just yet. There hasn't been a motor come out without some issues to be worked out so I would expect a few on these. They may test them but it's not real world test. Running a motor daily, hours each day is much less hard on one than the normal engine. Let one sit for weeks, or months, start it, hammer down for a couple hours, then repeat. I would give it a year just to make sure. Now, the sho is hit or miss on availability but would be my choice. The g2 seems to have the bugs worked out also and is a stout motor

I would consider which dealers are in your area and how far you would be willing to drive to have your motor serviced...I love the G2 but I gave it up because I had to drive 2-3 hours for service/warranty work...I have a Mercury/Yamaha dealer within a 1/2 hour.

My ranking:

1)G2
    2)SHO
    3)Merc 2 Stroke

Not enough info yet on the Merc 4 Stroke...

I have the Merc 2 Stroke currently and I cuss it every day I run it because I miss running the G2...

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fidgetcranker View Post
    Pretty sure you can't get a SHO unless it's on a Skeeter. That's what a dealer told me.
    He said If you have a SHO on your Phoenix, it's a unicorn and you better keep it. I was like, What? Then he told me that.
    They have/had 1 Phoenix left in stock with a sho on it, and was thinking about hanging on to it

If you want a Pro xp there is plenty in stock on a Phoenix right now.
    Say what? Never heard that before. I'd Find a different dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix919proxp View Post
    It is true. Basscat and others are saying the same thing.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

14. Hagen
    I would first consider what dealers are near you. The new mercury 4 stroke looks nice and all but it needs real world testing. Whether we like it or not we are the test dummies for all new products from trucks to boats to lawnmowers. They all have problems when they first come out. How long do you plan on keeping it? What will it cost go rebuild one when it goes out of warranty?
    Want to buy old river2sea bully wa frogs.

15. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Just sayin.

I think Yamaha motors are on backorder right now and have been. Since they own Skeeter, all of the motors currently available are being used in them. At least that's how I understand it.

17. Member
    Your guys thoughts about the 4 stroke Merc and lack of real world testing is my exact reason for not wanting one. Every single mew motor to the market ends up with chamges after bugs.

For the guys who recommended G2s, what do you love about them?

18. Banned
    In true BBC™ fashion.. Have You thought about a Honda™ or Suzuki™?

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by XChris1632X View Post
    Your guys thoughts about the 4 stroke Merc and lack of real world testing is my exact reason for not wanting one. Every single mew motor to the market ends up with chamges after bugs.

For the guys who recommended G2s, what do you love about them?
    Fast, run clean, quite, sip oil, easy on gas compared to my Merc, power steering and trim, ICON Gage's, electric hot foot, one button winterized, 10 year warranty, dual shift option. And the fact I can choose my own colours.

20. Scraps
    Make sure you look into the warranty deals that may be available at the time. I didn't, and now painfully paying for Merc. extended warranty and it ain't cheep! I now want a SHO.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast