Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    i don't think you can judge by history on the performance of the evinrude or even the new merc. The stakes are high and those companies wouldn't put out a product that was anything but excellent. by the time you buy you might even have something new from yamaha that competes better with the G2 or the merc v8.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XChris1632X View Post
    Your guys thoughts about the 4 stroke Merc and lack of real world testing is my exact reason for not wanting one. Every single mew motor to the market ends up with chamges after bugs.

For the guys who recommended G2s, what do you love about them?
    the g2 is everything they claimed it to be. its in it's 4th model year and mine while it only has 18 hours on it at this point has not disappointed me one bit. fuel consumption against my old carb motor is probably less than half. performance wise, it doesn't compare - holeshot, mid range and top end are all better. 10 year warranty was the deal maker for me.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

3. Member
    I wouldn't touch a new merc with a 10' pole until it's been out and proven. Then I'd switch to a 5' pole because of the lower unit.
    Go with a g2 if you want a 2 stroke and have someone close to service it.
    By the time you buy sho's availability should be better or there may be a new yamaha by then.
    The only knock I have on my sho is running 89 octane fuel.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wackyjig View Post
    I wouldn't touch a new merc with a 10' pole until it's been out and proven. Then I'd switch to a 5' pole because of the lower unit.
    By the time you buy sho's availability should be better or there may be a new yamaha by then.
    If they have a new SHO out then you have to wait a year to see if they have any bugs in it to get worked out.

5. Member
    both are awesome motors,i suggest getting the one were warranty and dealer close by
    TrackerUser

Didnt know Mercs had big issues with lower units? Thats an Evinrude issue, even on the G2s.

Whats wrong with running 89 in the SHO? Is that the minimum?

7. Member
    It is the minimum. Just cost a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    It is the minimum. Just cost a little more.
    Thats not too bad then. The Verados love premium, 91-93 non ethanol. Thats about a .40 a gallon difference here. But on game day I can squeeze 2mph with it. And it burns better in general.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xranger77 View Post
    Thats not too bad then. The Verados love premium, 91-93 non ethanol. Thats about a .40 a gallon difference here. But on game day I can squeeze 2mph with it. And it burns better in general.
    Yea. I can tell when I have to put regular instead of mid grade in mine.

10. Member
    Didnt know Mercs had big issues with lower units? Thats an Evinrude issue, even on the G2s.

Whats wrong with running 89 in the SHO? Is that the minimum?
    The wingmaster has weak seals are prone to failure. It's a good lower as far as efficiency giving low slip numbers though.
    I'd rather have a verado lower.

89 is the minimum octane for the sho. Around here it's 30-50 cents more per gallon. Not a big deal really and if that's all I have to complain about a motor I figure it's a good one

The wingmaster has weak seals are prone to failure. It's a good lower as far as efficiency giving low slip numbers though.

89 is the minimum octane for the sho. Around here it's 30-50 cents more per gallon. Not a big deal really and if that's all I have to complain about a motor I figure it's a good one
    They arent using the wingmaster on the new units. Most units have been using torquemaster LU for awhile.

The Verado LU is one tough SOB though.

wingmaster aka torquemaster 2

Quote Originally Posted by bassmasterffej View Post
    wingmaster aka torquemaster 2
    Well...I suppose a seal issue is easier to fix than gear sets blowing apart.

14. Member
    I really think I may be interested in the G2.

Anyone have recommendations on a Phoenix/G2 dealer closest to Ohio?
    -2016 Phoenix 721 250 Pro XS
    -Old Rig-2006 Triton TR-196 200HP Optimax

15. Member

The Wingmaster was not the standard lower unit on 2 stroke pro xs, the Verado was. The Wingmaster was an optional lower unit, and there was a upcharge.

16. Member
    I've seen many BASS Elite guys getting the new Merc put on their rigs. If there are issues immediately with the engine, it'll be obvious from those guys. My guess is that there won't be very many.
    2022 Phoenix 721 / 250 Mercury ProXs / MK Ultrex
    HB Helix 12 G4N / Garmin 106sv / Livescope

Quote Originally Posted by DEFMP View Post
    I've seen many BASS Elite guys getting the new Merc put on their rigs. If there are issues immediately with the engine, it'll be obvious from those guys. My guess is that there won't be very many.
    Sounds like they have been testing it for a while - 8 years (when the SHO came out). There will be some bugs no doubt but Merc makes a great motor. Will be interesting to see if they get any love in the blue water market which Yamaha totally dominates.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

18. Member
    To help answer the concern on the SHO's availability, BigSexyPhoenix you are correct. My son works at a Skeeter dealer, and the SHO's are so high in demand right now they cannot keep up. Of course your Skeeters have priority over any manufacturer.... With all the chatter of 2-stroke production having a future end date, everyone is jumping over to 4-stroke putting the SHO demand higher than it's ever been. When I moved over to 4 stroke, I kicked myself for taking so long to do it. Once you get the proper setup and prop selection, what a machine. I have a 920 with a SHO 250 that hauls.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSexyPhoenix View Post
    I think Yamaha motors are on backorder right now and have been. Since they own Skeeter, all of the motors currently available are being used in them. At least that's how I understand it.

19. Member
    +1 I run 93 in my SHO and it runs fantastic. 89 is the minimum recommendation.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked247 View Post
    To help answer the concern on the SHO's availability, BigSexyPhoenix you are correct. My son works at a Skeeter dealer, and the SHO's are so high in demand right now they cannot keep up. Of course your Skeeters have priority over any manufacturer.... With all the chatter of 2-stroke production having a future end date, everyone is jumping over to 4-stroke putting the SHO demand higher than it's ever been. When I moved over to 4 stroke, I kicked myself for taking so long to do it. Once you get the proper setup and prop selection, what a machine. I have a 920 with a SHO 250 that hauls.

I heard the SHO was on back order for other reasons. One main reason was due to having to replace engines for last year’s hurricane not demand. I think the new 4 stroke Mercury is going to do quite well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast