Dangerous Question

I’ve had my current boat for maybe 6 seasons now and you get used to it’s performance and quarks, I have what I believe could be a expensive question that’s always made me wonder....
    The boat has good hole shot, not great and I can get 50-53mph top end running about 5500RPM without much change in speed with load.
    Here’s my question, the motor just can’t seem to hold an edge at the top end when trimming out. It’s controlled and gets up on pad, just seems like it looses “traction” too soon when trimming out on the top end. I’ve played with load but it even does it empty with just me and gas.

I think this is a prop issue but I know very little about where to go, advise? Suggestions? Prop is original, motor runs good. If changing would like to get a prop with the composite block or whatever it’s called.
    2003 Ranger 185VS, Yamaha 150 VMAX, 23M prop
    Thanks guys

2. Member
    Sounds like the prop is lacking cup on the tips from over the years.

I agree. The motor may also be too high for the load that you carry. Over the years, Most install items and collect more tackle etc.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

4. Member
    Also, if you have been in the rain or rough water, the flotation can wick up water and it will never dry out. This adds weight to the boat making it harder to lift the bow.

5. Member
    Thanks for the information/input, I possibly have picked up a couple extra bags of plastics over the years
    I’d be interested in getting a new prop if it would help and it’s showing some wear and nicks. Any recommendations? Do I stick with a Yamaha 23M? I’ve read on here the “T” is a better prop now available... I will admit I’m prop dumb so any pointers on brands/models/BBC sponsored retailers to buy from really helps. Do I have the option to go to a prop with the “relief block” in it in case of a collision with something in the water?
    Thanks again! Scott

The propeller you have is a good one. Just having it reconditioned should do wonders. Send it to Mark with what you need and want it to do written down and in the box.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

7. Hagen
    I agree with Frank and Mike both. But if you decide to stick with the 23 I would suggest having yours reworked instead of buying the same prop again new. I think you'll be surprised what adding a little cup to the tips will do. And if I am understanding you correctly that load doesnt affect topend then there is room for improvement.
    Want to buy old river2sea bully wa frogs.