Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can’t get bolt out that hold steering ram

Avoided a tragedy yesterday. When I pulled the boat out my motor was swung to 1 side. That has never happened before. I look around and I see the steering ram is not connected to the steering pivot on the motor. Some how the washer between the bolt and the ram cracked in half. I found half the washer in the splash well as well as like a carbon fiber washer. I’m trying to get the bolt out so I can replace everything, however, the bolt won’t come loose. I can turn it a couple turns each way but then it tightens up. Is there a trick to this? It’s too late to take some picks but I’m stumped. To top it off my box wrench is now stuck between the steering pivot and motor frame. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Member
    Sawzaw ?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brucekgreen View Post
    Sawzaw ?

Holding that as last resort. Lol
    Last edited by fishintroop; 06-12-2018 at 07:31 AM.

4. Member
    Can you find a parts breakdown on line and post it identifying the bolt or post a picture?
    Are you talking hydraulic steering?
    Did it break because you tilted it when you took the boat out?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Can you find a parts breakdown on line and post it identifying the bolt or post a picture?
    Are you talking hydraulic steering?
    Did it break because you tilted it when you took the boat out?
    Yes it is hydraulic steering. I'm thinking the washer broke as a result of tilt, but seems like a bad install or design if that was the cause. The boat is only 15 months old. Here are some pics. I have been looking for a parts breakdown, but have been unable to locate one yet. The images need to rotate once to the right. I'm not sure why the tinypic is displaying them incorrectly. They look fine on the download and on my phone.

Last edited by fishintroop; 06-12-2018 at 07:33 AM.

Your wrench is hung on the nut of the ARP bolt that connects the tiller arm to steering.
    The tiller arm is also threaded so you need to back the nut off a little then remove bolt while holding the nut. A very thin open end wrench is needed for the nut side.

7. Member
    Found this video. It looks like mine was installed wrong. My ram assembly was on top of the tiller arm

Last edited by fishintroop; 06-12-2018 at 07:44 AM.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Your wrench is hung on the nut of the ARP bolt that connects the tiller arm to steering.
    The tiller arm is also threaded so you need to back the nut off a little then remove bolt while holding the nut. A very thin open end wrench is needed for the nut side.
    I can't get the bolt to a point to get the threads high enough so the wrench will come out. It went in fine. Do you see that black grommet looking piece? It seems like that came out of the hole as I was turning the wrench. Is that what you are referring to?

If you think that's the case I would be headed back to whomever rigged it..
    Try moving the motor by hand . may have to take the steering loose. to get enough slack. If the nut is not (tight) you should be able to remove bolt from the top and then your wrench will come loose with the nut.

10. Member
    here is a blow up from seastar. I'm guessing the install would be 15c. Mine was installed like 15d. It's a 2015 Merc 150 4 stroke

11. Member
    Well, all I can say is I'm glad yours broke when it did and not zooming down the lake or river. I did my own hydraulic steering install, and I know the unit and hoses will go through quite a bit of movement and you need to make sure yours doesn't kill you by overstressing a part.

12. Member
    The head on that bolt is rounded. You are going to have to replace it once you get it out. I would try putting a set of vice grips on the bolt, and leave the wrench on the nut. Twist in opposite directions until the bolt snaps, or the heads totally round out. If they round out sawzall, or hack saw it out of there. You have the room. Then replace it, and install it the proper way.

Do you have the motor trimmed up or are the pics turned ? If trimmed up put it down and you should have no trouble getting it out. Those bolts are harder than woodpecker lips so do everything you can to remove it. Not fun to drill out. Have had to use a carbide drill bit to get quite a few of them out of Hondas that have spent their life in the saltwater.
    Proud Army Dad

Pull out the plug right above the bolt in the lower cowl. The tiller arm is threaded and the nut goes on the bottom to lock it. You need to unscrew the bolt from the top to give room for the nut to come off

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

15. Member
    Why is that lock nut backed out so much? Did you do that while trying to make the repairs?

16. Member
    Well I was able to get the lock nut off but the bolt is stripped in the tiller arm. I backed off those other lock nuts so I could get the ram assembly free. I will be replacing them when I put it back together.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marinetechnician View Post
    Do you have the motor trimmed up or are the pics turned ? If trimmed up put it down and you should have no trouble getting it out. Those bolts are harder than woodpecker lips so do everything you can to remove it. Not fun to drill out. Have had to use a carbide drill bit to get quite a few of them out of Hondas that have spent their life in the saltwater.
    The motor is trimmed up a bit and the pics were turned for some reason by the app I used to resize. I’m thinking I’m going to have to drill it and tap.

If its stripped you need to replace the tiller arm. That bolt is a certain shape and size on its shoulders, etc for a reason. That one bolt is your health and possibly life. The tiller arm is held on by 2 safety wired, possibly, socket head bolts that go thru the top motor mounts into the exhaust adapter. Its a simple part so fix it right sir.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    If its stripped you need to replace the tiller arm. That bolt is a certain shape and size on its shoulders, etc for a reason. That one bolt is your health and possibly life. The tiller arm is held on by 2 safety wired, possibly, socket head bolts that go thru the top motor mounts into the exhaust adapter. Its a simple part so fix it right sir.
    Everything from the steering wheel to the motor (including your life) are held together by that one little ARP bolt !!

20. Member
    I’ll post up a pic later of where I am with this but I called the dealer and am dropping it off over the weekend. I am also making a call to Charger in the morning.

I don't know why the tinypic keeps flipping the image.

Last edited by fishintroop; 06-14-2018 at 09:34 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast