Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Boat taking on lots of water... Only when on pad... Need help!

Alright boys, I've got one here that I can't figure out. First I'll tell you what's happening, then I'll tell you a few details about the boat.

When I get to the lake, I can dump the boat in and it stays dry as a bone inside. I can drop the trolling motor and fish all day and no water will come in. However, as soon as I fire up the big motor and get up on plane, I can almost immediately hit my manual bilge pump and start moving water out of the bilge (my auto one doesn't work). I'm talking within 20 to 30 seconds of driving. It seems to take on more water the slower I go and the less I trim up. The other day I was fishing in some pretty decent wind so I made some minimum speed runs with no trim and I had the most water come on that I've seen so far. In a one mile move I would estimate I watched 3 or 4 gallons of water pump out after getting to my destination and starting the bilge. When it's calm out and I can drive more aggressively less water comes in, maybe 1 gallon or a little less on a one mile run. Then, after I get all the water out, it stays dry while I fish. As soon as I get back up on pad, I start filling with water again.

The boat is a new to me 1999 Stratos 201PE. I bought it with no motor and powered her with a 2005 200 Opti that I already had laying around. The hull looks as though someone was maybe a little hard on it at some point in its life. However, the bottom of the boat looks good as far as I can tell. The reason that the boat was for sale with no motor is because the last guy scraped a rock pile good enough to wreck his lower unit which subsequently did some major damage to the rest of the motor, so that's perhaps something to keep in mind. It has a 6 inch manual jack plate. The transom is solid. I have a single 12' Talon mounted on my port side that I keep as high as all the mounting parts will allow me to. The boat is quick to jump up on plane and seems to handle perfectly fine. The livewell valves work as they should when I put them to open or closed. I nurse it down off plane to make sure that no water is ever coming over the back deck. That's about all I can think of for relevant details.

So what gives? What am I missing here? Where is this water coming from and why does it only come in while I'm on pad? I've gotten on my back and looked under the boat with a flashlight at least a half dozen times. Everything looks normal. Obviously I can't see under the bunks, but I would assume that looks about the same as the exposed portions. Is it possible that there's actually some sort of hole or gash that I'm not seeing? I've considered taking my kids swimming goggles and getting under it in the water to see if the bunks are hiding something. Maybe the livewell hoses doing something dumb? I would think that if hoses are leaking they would do it all the time, not just while on pad. I have no idea...

Where should I be focusing my attention?? Thanks in advance for any input! We've gotta get this one figured out. It's driving me nuts!

Water pressure gauge/hose.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Banned
    Did You check the 'rub rail'? (the rubber strip that runs along the sides)

I had an issue (different manufacturer) where when I went to go fish, there was about 1/2" of standing water on the floor. The problem was the 'topcap' in My splashwell wasn't affixed as well as it should've been.

4. Member
    Jack plate bolt holes are not sealed properly. Pull the motor and plate and re-seal the bolt holes and jack plate. Look at the top cap to Hull joints around the transom and seal that joint also.

5. Member
    If you have water in the livewell when this happens check the seal around the top where it meets the top cap. If it only happens when on plane it’s coming from there or water from ice in the cooler running back and kicking on an auto bilge. Otherwise it would be coming in a rub rail, thru hull, jack plate etc.. at rest.

6. Member
    I had the same problem I removed the speed sensor. Guessing you have a cracked hose which is bleeding into the bilge while your running. When you open the bilge lid mine looked like it was leaking coming off of plane but that's not the actual problem.

7. Member
    Water pressure line would be a good check also

Look and see if water is hitting a spot on the rubrail at that speed and check that area. Or your transom is flexing from the rock pile damage at that specific load letting water pour in

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    Did You check the 'rub rail'? (the rubber strip that runs along the sides)

I had an issue (different manufacturer) where when I went to go fish, there was about 1/2" of standing water on the floor. The problem was the 'topcap' in My splashwell wasn't affixed as well as it should've been.
    I have the same boat. Odds are it is the rub rail loose and also needs resealing.

10. Member
    I had a buddy that had a crack in his hull that was hidden by the bunk while the boat was on the trailer. He was taking on lots of water but mostly only when on plane. He couldn't see the crack when he inspected hull on land and only found it when he he swam underneath with a mask and snorkel.

11. Member
    Run a bead of caulk along the bottom of the rub rail from the steering wheel to the motor on each side. I had the same problem on a Triton and this fixed it.

George Brock

2015 920 Pro/XP
    2015 Mercury 250 Pro/XS
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades

12. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    Cracked hull. They can be difficult to find sometimes, especially if under the bunk.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

13. Member
    I think I'm going to first try to see if I can seal that rub rail up a little better. I went out and just looked at it quick and I can see how water might be finding it's way through there. The seal has been compromised by the looks of it. Do we have a certain silicone or caulking that we know works better for this than others?

14. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    If it was a water pressure hose or a speedo hose, unless it was a split in the gunwhales you'd know from the stream of water coming on you while under way. And that is a lot of water to come out of an 1/8" hose.

Sounds like a crack in the hull. But speedo and water pressure could be putting water in the boat. Put plug in a fill full of water. Look for leaks.
    Last edited by BMCD; 06-14-2018 at 10:25 AM.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

I have a 94 Stratos 201 and had the exact same issue. As other's with similar boats have posted, mine was the joint in between the top cap and the hull. I cleaned out the 20 year old caulk and used 3m 5200 to completely seal the seam between the top cap and hull across the back and forward about 6 feet. 3m 4200 would also work, as well as Loctite marine adhesive sealant.

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=...QwzwIJA&adurl=

17. Member
    I've seen a transducer mounted externally catch water and run it right up the transom into the boat while underway.

18. Member
    Both my stratos leaked, or developed leaks at the rub rail. Under the rail the silicon gave out. It gets a lot of water pressure coming on plane.

bill and Lee above are spot on.
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

Quote Originally Posted by Jetboy View Post
    Both my stratos leaked, or developed leaks at the rub rail. Under the rail the silicon gave out. It gets a lot of water pressure coming on plane.

bill and Lee above are spot on.
    I bet thats the problem .

20. Member
    My livewell pump was leaking and sending water into the hull because I had a gravity-fed system. Check all your livewell plumbing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast