My Rod & Reel Combinations-Feedback Wanted

Based upon equipment I currently have, below is how I have configured for the various types of bait. Rods are all Fenwick Silverhawk II from Cabela's and Reels are Daiwa Tatula CT Type R.

Where am I screwed up below? I open to purchasing additional reels or rods if necessary. My goal is to limit the need to swap out bait types and have dedicated rod/reel combos for the various bait types. Thanks in advanced for any suggestions.

Bait Reel Speed Power Action Length Line
    Worm 7.3 M F 7' 0" Flouro 10lb
    Crank Bait 8.1 M F 6' 6" Flouro 10lb
    Crank Bait 8.1 M F 6" 6" Flouro 10lb
    Frog/Jig 8.1 MH F 7' 0" Braid 30lb
    Spinner 7.3 M F 7' 0" Braid 30lb

2. Member
    I'd switch the 8.1 reels to the worm rods and the 7.3 to crank. 10lb line is light for casting gear and a medium heavy is better for worming.

3. Member
    If it were me I'd first of all use a m/h rod for worm fishing. Gear ratio is fine though I'd go with the 8.1. I'd also bump up my flouro weight to #14 on one and #17+ on the other. For crankbaits I'd go with a slower gear ratio. I use 6.3 unless I'm burning a lipless. I'd go with 7' m action rods for these too. I like your jig/frog setup but would go with #40-50 braid. Spinnerbait setup looks fine though I use a m/h. These are just my opinions and how my stuff is set up.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Srt1010 View Post
    I'd switch the 8.1 reels to the worm rods and the 7.3 to crank. 10lb line is light for casting gear and a medium heavy is better for worming.
    Thanks for feedback. I had always assumed the faster ratio with crank baits would make it easier to crank 'em. What weight line would you recommend on the cranking rods?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    If it were me I'd first of all use a m/h rod for worm fishing. Gear ratio is fine though I'd go with the 8.1. I'd also bump up my flouro weight to #14 on one and #17+ on the other. For crankbaits I'd go with a slower gear ratio. I use 6.3 unless I'm burning a lipless. I'd go with 7' m action rods for these too. I like your jig/frog setup but would go with #40-50 braid. Spinnerbait setup looks fine though I use a m/h. These are just my opinions and how my stuff is set up.
    Thanks Basscat, your opinions is exactly what I'm looking for. Why the different line weight for same bait type on the worm rods?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mastergun View Post
    Based upon equipment I currently have, below is how I have configured for the various types of bait. Rods are all Fenwick Silverhawk II from Cabela's and Reels are Daiwa Tatula CT Type R.

Where am I screwed up below? I open to purchasing additional reels or rods if necessary. My goal is to limit the need to swap out bait types and have dedicated rod/reel combos for the various bait types. Thanks in advanced for any suggestions.

Crank Bait 8.1 M F 6' 6" Flouro 10lb
    Crank Bait 8.1 M F 6" 6" Flouro 10lb
    Frog/Jig 8.1 MH F 7' 0" Braid 30lb
    Spinner 7.3 M F 7' 0" Braid 30lb
    spinnerbait rod would be best with 12lb flouro. as stated by others switch around your reels. I would switch out your 7' Medium Fast as a squarebill/lipless/chatterbait/etc. rod. I would suggest getting rod specific actions for each technique. I do not know the Fenwick's but open up your options with other brands. I have multiple brand rods that each one is the specific "best" for me in that technique. so follow the other threads on rod/reel technique questions and read lots of reviews.
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

7. Member
    I crank with 10-15 lb test depending on how deep I want the crank to get. As far as gear ratio on my reels I use a simple method.
    If you move it with the rod like a soft plastic or hollow body frog- fastest gear ratio
    If you move it with the reel like a crank or spinnerbait - slower gear ratio .
    I throw squarebills and other shallowcranks on a 7.3. My deeper cranks are 6.3 ratio

8. Member
    Thanks Basscat, your opinions is exactly what I'm looking for. Why the different line weight for same bait type on the worm rods?
    I like to have one with lighter line for more open water or sparse cover or I may use the same rod for casting football or finesse jigs while the setup with the heavier line is pretty much dedicated to a pitchin stick

9. Member
    Okay guys, thanks for all the feedback! Based upon the feedback here and from a coworker who is an avid angler, here is my new breakdown.

I ordered 2 additional rods from Favorite Rods, 1 H and 1 MH (Defender series) and 2 additional Tatula Type-R 6.3 (found a deal for 2 for $205). I'll slowly optimize it over time, but I think this should be a pretty good setup? It leaves me with an extra reel at 7.3. Should I do anything with that or use it as a backup?

Worm 8.1 M F 7' 0" Flouro 10lb
    Worm 8.1 M F 6' 6" Flouro 15lb
    Crank Bait/Squarebill 6.3 MH F 7' 0" Flouro 12lb
    Crank Bait (deep) 6.3 M F 6" 6" Flouro 12lb
    Frog/Topwater 8.1 H F 7' 6" Braid 30lb
    Spinner/Buzzbait 7.3 M F 7' 0" Flouro 12lb
    Jig 7.3 MH F 7' 0" Braid 50lb

10. Member
    Looking much better but frog heavier braid than a jig. May want consider fluro for your jig unless you are flipping vegetation.... what's in that case you could use your frog where I'd to do that with 50 lb braid.
    Where are the BIG ones? When are we going?
    LOOKING for a Great deal on a Slightly used 20-21' Boat.

11. Member
    Buy another spinner bait rod for extra reel. Lots of times I throw a buzz bait and spinner bait at the same time.

12. Member
    What would be your recommendations on the worm rods..what bait setups? Currently I have a Texas rigged worm on the 7" 10lb Flouro and a Texas rigged Senko on the 6'6" 15lb Flouro. Should I consider a creature bait on the Senko instead?

Also, which of my setups would be best to co-use for a Swimbait?

Thanks again!

13. Banned
    Thanks for feedback. I had always assumed the faster ratio with crank baits would make it easier to crank 'em. What weight line would you recommend on the cranking rods?
    It’s actually the exact opposite of this. Yes the faster reel turns faster, but it will also make it feel like your dragging In an anchor. For the most part out your fastest reels on your slowest baits and slowest reels on your fastest baits. As a general rule.