Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What percentage of boats likely have hull blisters from 2004 to Present ?

A Buddy and I were having this discussion the other day concerning used boats from 2004 and newer ...… I understand that in 04' the epa required some different blend / mixture with gel cote- and the water between bunks and hulls and this required gel mixture has resulted in blisters bubbles on these year boats......unless you lift the boat a potential buyer could be buying a damaged blistered hull- I bet there is a ton of boats out there where neither party knows about it- maybe its just safer to buy a 90's model boat. heard the repairs on these blisters costs thousands to repair and not covered by insurance...…:(

2. Member
    I would guess over 50% of the used boats (early 2000's to about 2010 ) that have sat on trailers have blisters. I know my 2004 Triton had thousands of small ones. I agree most dealers don't lift them off the trailers and most customers are non the wiser. I know my dealer was aware of mine since I got quotes to get them fixed from that dealer. It sucks. We have all heard that newer gel mixtures since about 2010 are better, but the only way to know that for sure is to lift your boat off the trailer. Unfortunately for a lot of us it's out of sight out of mind. Sort of like minor scratches under the boat.
    Brad Krone

My 2011 Sterling has some of the nicest gelcoat on it I've ever seen , no stress cracks either . It like ever other boat on a lift or trailer .
    Last edited by LTZ25; 06-11-2018 at 07:45 PM.

4. Member
    None yet on my 2004 Stroker.

5. Member
    None on my 2005 Ranger

6. Member
    I had both my 2007 and my 2008 Cats checked at a glass shop and nether had them after several years. I needed new bunks at five years on one of them from holding water in the double wrapped carpet bunks and it still didn’t have them.

When it comes to blisters I think the variable of how frequently the boat sits on wet bunks and the quality of gel the manufacturer used as well as construction methods all play into the percentage of them.

My 05 Triton has em.

If the hull was blistered as bad as some of the pictures I've seen, wouldn't you see flakes of gel coat on the bunks when the boat is in the water?
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

9. Member
    I'd say most used boats depending on usage. I had a 2013 Z9 that got in a wreck towing to the lake. When it was lifted up at the glass shop for damage assessment hull blisters from where it sat on the bunks were noted. I believe if you use your boat multiple times a week your carpeted bunks will literally never dry and so the hull indefinitely sits on wet bunks. Most owners never get the opportunity to see their hull under the bunks and most buyers don't request the boat to be lifted off the trailers for inspection, ignorance is bliss. For me, when I purchased my next boat new I installed synthetic bunk covers the very first time the boat was launched so I can be 100% sure it will never get blisters.

My 13 does not have them

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

Its all in the gel the mfr used. Higher end boats do not get them. Some companies saved money and blamed the epa. Theres only one way to find out- walk out there and get wet at the ramp on a test drive if you cant lift it

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

12. Member
    I've seen in in my shop on just about every brand, Rangers and Basscat included. 2013 is the newest model I've seen them on so far as it takes several years for them to develop unless left in the water for extended period. None of my customers were aware they had them either. Well over 50% of boats that come in have them to some degree.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    Its all in the gel the mfr used. Higher end boats do not get them. Some companies saved money and blamed the epa. Theres only one way to find out- walk out there and get wet at the ramp on a test drive if you cant lift it

Not sure if you consider them higher end, BassCat will not warranty blisters, even with their higher end material.

14. Member
    My 07 ranger had them. Ranger picked up 1/2 of the cost. Would never have known about blisters without reading about it here.
    2007 Ranger Z19 - 225 Pro XS

15. Banned
    Call any fiberglass repiar center. what you hear will shock you

16. Member
    My 05 ranger has them
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Fish View Post
    I'd say most used boats depending on usage. I had a 2013 Z9 that got in a wreck towing to the lake. When it was lifted up at the glass shop for damage assessment hull blisters from where it sat on the bunks were noted. I believe if you use your boat multiple times a week your carpeted bunks will literally never dry and so the hull indefinitely sits on wet bunks. Most owners never get the opportunity to see their hull under the bunks and most buyers don't request the boat to be lifted off the trailers for inspection, ignorance is bliss. For me, when I purchased my next boat new I installed synthetic bunk covers the very first time the boat was launched so I can be 100% sure it will never get blisters.
    What synthetic bunk covers says no blisters? Water can still get trapped. Also what about scratching a hull. I think the short haul guys that do not travel far to the lake will have the problem faster based on usage.
    Last edited by BMCD; 06-12-2018 at 01:39 PM.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

18. Member
    2006 Ranger has them.

19. Member
    My 05 Triton does not have blisters.

20. mikesxpress
    Lots of blister information on BBC. Do a search.
    ALL boats can get blisters. 2003 and up are more prone to blistering due to the EPA ruling. Some OEM's have added a barrier coat between the gel and matt. This does help but doesn't prevent blistering. The entrapment and sustained water held against the hull by carpet is the primary cause of gelcoat blistering. Only way to prevent blistering is to get the moisture away from the hull surface. I had measles (start of blistering) on my 2009 Ranger Z21 Intracoastal. Got that repaired and installed Gatorbak bunk covers while it was at the shop. That was March 2014. No issues since.
    No OEM covers blistering in there hull warranty.
    Any prospective used boat buyer should insist the hull be jacked up off the bunks prior to looking at anything else. If it's blistered it would need to go to the glass shop for further evaluation. If the blisters are large and have popped, you may have more issues due to water impaction of the fiberglass.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast