Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    My 06 Triton had them, installed gator hull now..

2. Member
    Pretty depressing stuff guys- makes one not want to buy a used boat from 2004 - and newer.

3. Member
    you wonder if someone like Hamby's will come out with a glue on to the hull protector that provides a layer between?
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

4. Member
    Great idea but half the boats already have the blisters -too late for many owners.

5. mikesxpress
    Yet another boat evil. If you don't have them get rid of the carpet that holds the moisture against the hull. If you do have them, get them fixed and do the same.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by creekchub View Post
    Pretty depressing stuff guys- makes one not want to buy a used boat from 2004 - and newer.

I’ve read about quite a few older than 2004 that got them, it’s not a “started this year” problem.

7. Member
    My 93 Javelin has thousands of tiny blisters

8. Member
    My 2006 20 ft Norris Craft never had any blisters at all.

9. mikesxpress
    ALL boats can blister. Some do and some don't. Many variables exist in regards to blister formation including boat storage humidity levels, bunk cover material used, gelcoat contamination during lay up, and gelcoat mix ratios. As a boat owner you only have control over a few of these.

The dockside boat market has been dealing with hull blistering for many years. Those of us with trailerable boats it has only become apparent in the past 15 years. Living on the coast allowed me to speak to the local marine surveyors and hull reparation folks during my research phase prior to my repairs being made. Educational experience none the least, and accurate information at best.

10. Member
    my 07 legend no blisters or cracks

11. Member
    09 ranger had them. I had them repaired for 4500 bucks and got gatorback bunk covers.

12. Banned
    08 Triton, no blisters.

My 2007 Sabre FTD doesn’t have any blisters.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

If you don't have blisters, you don't fish enough!!! Haha

15. Member
    Had a 2009 Ranger 198....didn’t know about blisters until a couple months after I bought it....Ranger dealer stepped up even though it was a second owner private party purchase and Ranger paid for half of the repair...put gatorbak bu is on it....just sold it and bought a bigger ranger 2008 Ranger z520....first thing was to check for blisters....none! First thing I did was order gatorbaks and install...
    Dealers up around here don’t ask and don’t tell on used boats...I’ve had at least two deals fall through because I asked them to lift boat and check for blisters...pity the poor guy who is uninformed...

[B][I]Jeff

16. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by jefrobie View Post
    Had a 2009 Ranger 198....didn’t know about blisters until a couple months after I bought it....Ranger dealer stepped up even though it was a second owner private party purchase and Ranger paid for half of the repair...put gatorbak bu is on it....just sold it and bought a bigger ranger 2008 Ranger z520....first thing was to check for blisters....none! First thing I did was order gatorbaks and install...
    Dealers up around here don’t ask and don’t tell on used boats...I’ve had at least two deals fall through because I asked them to lift boat and check for blisters...pity the poor guy who is uninformed...

Any used boat needs to be checked. If it has blistering that's not popped it can be repaired fairly easy. Get it to a glass shop and have them quote it and deduct off the deal.

17. Member
    My 2006 Bass cat has them...

18. Banned
    The only way to know is to jack the boat up off the trailer bunks and look or go launch your boat in clear water, jump in and swim underneath and feel with you hands. Which I did years ago with my old fish and ski skeeter on Table Rock Lake. Now I just don't worry about it unless I see boats performance drop considerably. Nothing you can do about it really but get it fixed and a few years later it could happen again. Carpet on bunks hold water,gel coat is
    porous and the water isn't pure. Some States worst than others for the water.

19. mikesxpress
    Get rid of the carpet!!

20. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    My 02 Ranger 520VX is clean so far..Knock on wood

Dale Sinclair original

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast