Need advice, filling a small gouge.

I clipped a rock this weekend and out a gouge on the right side on the stern, just under the water line. Should I use Marine Tex? I don't care about the cosmetic look.

Sure, MarineTex will work fine. Be sure the area is completely dry before repairing. Mask off around the damaged area (to protect surrounding gelcoat). Sand down any loose fiberglass ends (if the gouge went through gelcoat, into the laminate) and feather any sharp edges. Then do a thorough cleaning/wipe with acetone prior to applying the epoxy. Smooth over the repair with a plastic squeegee to reduce sanding.
    Sand to flush with surrounding gelcoat.

Quote Originally Posted by CastingCall View Post
    Sure, MarineTex will work fine. Be sure the area is completely dry before repairing. Mask off around the damaged area (to protect surrounding gelcoat). Sand down any loose fiberglass ends (if the gouge went through gelcoat, into the laminate) and feather any sharp edges. Then do a thorough cleaning/wipe with acetone prior to applying the epoxy. Smooth over the repair with a plastic squeegee to reduce sanding.
    Sand to flush with surrounding gelcoat.
    Bought some MarineTex today, will give it a shot. Thank you

4. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Marine tex will work on all kinds of repairs very good stuff to have around.