150 Pro XS 4 Stroke Question

I’m looking at getting a new 18 foot boat. At the smaller 150 hp level, do you think it is worth waiting to buy one with a 4Stroke ProXS, or do you feel the current 2 strokes are the way to go? There’s a proven track record for the current version. Most lakes I fish are <2000 acres, so it’s a lot of short runs on the motor. I rarely go over 55mph when moving these distances.. If it makes a difference, I can add a jack plate for hole shot for either motor. Suggestions?

If you’re looking at a new boat with a Mercury I don’t think you have much choice unless someone has a 2-stroke on the floor right now. That said, I’d get the four stroke anyway and definitely add a jack plate regardless of which motor it is. Setting it up for optimal WOT performance means you have a nice, efficient cruise at lower speeds.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    If you’re looking at a new boat with a Mercury I don’t think you have much choice unless someone has a 2-stroke on the floor right now. That said, I’d get the four stroke anyway and definitely add a jack plate regardless of which motor it is. Setting it up for optimal WOT performance means you have a nice, efficient cruise at lower speeds.
    +1.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Member
    Thank you.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    As indicated above, there are no "current two-strokes". They are gone, done, finite'.

Probably have a hard time finding one sitting anywhere... if you do, it's a rarity!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor