New old guy saying hi and seeking modification advice

Howdy Folks, old Retired Marine from Northern IL. Found this forum while searching the topic of installing a recessed foot pedal tray. I found plenty to be sure, but not exactly addressing my issue. I have a '93 Sea Nymph TX175 that I adore. Original everything and works perfect. I do however want to install a recessed trolling motor foot pedal tray (back & knees need this!) and being overbuilt and plenty of storage the Sea Nymph presents issues that other boats do not. As seen in the pic below, the pedal needs to be installed right where the forward storage space is located. The trays are all longer & narrower than the storage space so I will need to cut in this area. There is nothing underneath to worry about, but I am trying to figure out the best way to go about this. I don't mind giving up the space as there are plenty more spaces for stuff. Just don't want it to look any weirder than it has to. Also, being an aluminum deck, I'll have to cut through 1 if not 2 small braces behind the storage. That I can rivet and support I think. Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Steve

Attached Images Attached Images

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    You boat looks to be in excellent condition. I wonder if you can reuse the carpet from that small hatch you will need to sacrifice to cover a couple of small filler pieces that will be necessary on each side of the pedal tray.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

3. Member
    That looks like a tricky project for sure. Hopefully someone has some good advice to offer.

Thanks for serving!

4. Banned
    Where in Northern IL?

5. Member
    Thanks for the replies. Yeah the boat is in really good shape for its age. Found it on eBay, but it didn't sell for asking price. Saw it was local and made an offer. $2800 got me the boat with 2 depth finders, one with GPS, new spare on rim, new cover, 2 new batteries and some other frivolous junk. It runs like new. These old (real) Sea Nymphs are built to last it seems. All the compartments are trimmed in aluminum and that sure seems to slow down carpet wear. I'm not to keen on cutting her up, but it's not like a $20k risk. I am sure when it's done, the recess will look fine. Just not sure if I should cut the entire compartment lid out and fabricate a new deck section or just cut to fit and trim it out the best I can. Never hurts to get opinions!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slonezp View Post
    Where in Northern IL?
    Cherry Valley outside of Rockford.

7. Member
    I’d take the whole lid out and box in what the tray doesn’t eat up. Maybe make you holders on each side like the RT and other newer boats have?

Thinking about it for a second: If you had room on one side of the tray, a little “Day Box” for baits you’re using right now. The other side a tool holder. If you’ve ever had one of those day boxes up front. Well, you’ve got a great big one right now and I bet you love it right there.

Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    I’d take the whole lid out and box in what the tray doesn’t eat up. Maybe make you holders on each side like the RT and other newer boats have?

Thinking about it for a second: If you had room on one side of the tray, a little “Day Box” for baits you’re using right now. The other side a tool holder. If you’ve ever had one of those day boxes up front. Well, you’ve got a great big one right now and I bet you love it right there.
    This is a great idea. I would take the hatch out. And depending on how far back you have to cut the deck. To get the pedal into the deck. Then you can rivet to the deck 1/8”x 1-1/2 angle around the edge. And two along the sides of the tray. Fill in with .090 aluminum. The carpet will be the hard part to replace. And not have seams. Just a idea pic.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

sorry double post

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

10. Member
    Some great ideas guys, thanks. Will uncover it today and poke around some more. The trim is really affixed and I may need to cut the entire hatch and trim out. The tray I am looking at is about 19"x12" so I could cut to accommodate. I'm pretty handy, but have never cut a hunk of a boat out so want to think it through. It's really solid feeling up there right now and don't want to end up with creaks or wobbles. While I didn't pay much for the boat, I'd like it finished the nicest I can of course.

I would remove the lid, cut the dimensions you need, frame up some extra support underneath, and set your tray in. When I redid my boat I removed a homemade tray and pretty much did all this. Here are some pics, it is rock solid.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Retiredguns View Post
    Cherry Valley outside of Rockford.
    I'm due east about 45 miles. I live 5 minutes from the Cabelas in Hoffman Estates. Welcome to the tin forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Retiredguns View Post
    Howdy Folks, old Retired Marine from Northern IL. Found this forum while searching the topic of installing a recessed foot pedal tray. I found plenty to be sure, but not exactly addressing my issue. I have a '93 Sea Nymph TX175 that I adore. Original everything and works perfect. I do however want to install a recessed trolling motor foot pedal tray (back & knees need this!) and being overbuilt and plenty of storage the Sea Nymph presents issues that other boats do not. As seen in the pic below, the pedal needs to be installed right where the forward storage space is located. The trays are all longer & narrower than the storage space so I will need to cut in this area. There is nothing underneath to worry about, but I am trying to figure out the best way to go about this. I don't mind giving up the space as there are plenty more spaces for stuff. Just don't want it to look any weirder than it has to. Also, being an aluminum deck, I'll have to cut through 1 if not 2 small braces behind the storage. That I can rivet and support I think. Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Steve

Mr. Steve,

If you have a moment and don’t mind could you share a full picture of your rig? My dad bought Sea Nymph TX175 in the early 90’s and he loved the boat and said he would never give it up. I grew up fishing out of one until I started fishing tournaments and he sold the boat for a fiberglass rig. He tells everyone he gave us his best rig for me but of course now he has a nice Lowe that’s in my signature.

Thanks,
    Wil
    Garmin Stiker 7sv and 7cv
    2017 Crestliner VT17 - Mercury 60 4S

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wil Holmes View Post
    Mr. Steve,

If you have a moment and don’t mind could you share a full picture of your rig? My dad bought Sea Nymph TX175 in the early 90’s and he loved the boat and said he would never give it up. I grew up fishing out of one until I started fishing tournaments and he sold the boat for a fiberglass rig. He tells everyone he gave us his best rig for me but of course now he has a nice Lowe that’s in my signature.

Thanks,
    Wil
    I've gone full circle myself. Stared with a tin Monarch with stick steering and a 45 Merc. Started fishing tournaments and got tired of getting beat to all the holes so next thing I knew, I was flying across the Lakes in a new Skeeter Starfire 150! Kept it for years until family, deployments, etc.. made me back off fishing. Years later after retiring from the Corps, I picked up a Lowe jon and did a few mods for comfy Bass fishing. Then I found the Sea Nymph for a song so here I am. I don't perceive a need for anything else as it's fine for the lakes and rivers I fish.

Here's a few pics, last 2 are a look at where I need the foot pedal tray. I am in the process of removing the decades old scumline. Mr Clean erasers work well.

Nice rig! What is the PVC contraption on the driveway? I made a support system for my boat cover with PVC but I need to make some serious modifications to it.
    2017 Crestliner VT 18 DX
    Mercury 115 ProXS
    Motorguide X3 70lb 24V
    TP Express Mach 4 13 x 19
    "Follow Me," Jesus told them, "and I will make you fish for people!" Mark 1:17

This cover support works well for me. I wanted something that Was easily transported with the cover and easy to install. However I don’t have to deal with much snow. Don’t know how well it would shed snow.

Last edited by Bill Reynolds; 06-20-2018 at 11:44 AM.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tjsellsfords View Post
    Nice rig! What is the PVC contraption on the driveway? I made a support system for my boat cover with PVC but I need to make some serious modifications to it.
    Been meaning to make a pvc skeleton for 2 years and finally got around to it. I tweaked it about 5 times so never glued anything. I think I finally got it where it works the best it can. We have had a foot of rain here in Northern, IL and water now only collects at the very back corners which is easy to drain off. Before this, I would have to try and move a hundred or more pounds of water off flattened areas. Boat goes into storage for winters. Great feeling having it high and dry.