Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
  1. Member
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    Hi Mike.

Some believe they live in rod boxes and their baby's play in crankbait boxes.......

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    Some believe they live in rod boxes and their baby's play in crankbait boxes.......
    They don't??
    Hi Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff La View Post
    People always miss the word theory in science. I sure wish they could predict the rain more accurately yet they are wrong more than right
    I hate this argument so much. People say "it's only a theory" as if this somehow discredits science. All it really does is display a fundamental misunderstanding of what the word "theory" means. What you think "theory" means is really the definition for the word "hypothesis." In actuality, and to put it simply, a scientific theory has undergone an absolute barrage of attempts to poke a hole in it to disprove it. Achieving the status of "theory" suggests that something has undergone the highest level of scientific rigor. In fact, theories themselves are put together first under the null hypothesis - that is they begin by assuming that the hypothesis is false. A hypothesis does not become theory until the null hypothesis can be discredited.

To use a classic example: gravity is a theory. You're gonna tell me you don't believe in gravity because it's only a "theory?"

The weather example is just another case of you misunderstanding how science works. There is no "theory" for forecasting the weather. Meteorologists create models using empirical observations of past conditions and how they resulted in observed weather, then try to apply that to current observations to predict the weather. Like any empirical work, there are omitted variables that drive the outcome. Unless the models can include all possible variables that affect the weather, they will always make mistakes. That said, they do continue to improve as we incorporate more variables and more data points into these models.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    I hate this argument so much. People say "it's only a theory" as if this somehow discredits science. All it really does is display a fundamental misunderstanding of what the word "theory" means. What you think "theory" means is really the definition for the word "hypothesis." In actuality, and to put it simply, a scientific theory has undergone an absolute barrage of attempts to poke a hole in it to disprove it. Achieving the status of "theory" suggests that something has undergone the highest level of scientific rigor. In fact, theories themselves are put together first under the null hypothesis - that is they begin by assuming that the hypothesis is false. A hypothesis does not become theory until the null hypothesis can be discredited.

To use a classic example: gravity is a theory. You're gonna tell me you don't believe in gravity because it's only a "theory?"

The weather example is just another case of you misunderstanding how science works. There is no "theory" for forecasting the weather. Meteorologists create models using empirical observations of past conditions and how they resulted in observed weather, then try to apply that to current observations to predict the weather. Like any empirical work, there are omitted variables that drive the outcome. Unless the models can include all possible variables that affect the weather, they will always make mistakes. That said, they do continue to improve as we incorporate more variables and more data points into these models.
    Well said.

In addition, science makes predictions based on a theory. But,t hose predictions are at the aggregate level. For example, a biolgist can explain why maple trees turn colors in the fall. That's aggregate level...they are not making a prediction about an individual maple tree or an individual leaf on a single maple tree. Similarly, meteorologists make aggregate level predictions. They can predict the weather, within a given percent of certainty, across an aggregate area. They can predict county or state-wide weather pretty accurately. But, asking them to predict if it is going to rain at the lake or in your backyard is equivalent to asking a biologist to predict what color an individual leaf on a single maple tree will turn this fall and on what day it will turn that color.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by B-47 View Post
    We are not alone and never have been.
    ^^^^ Definitely this...…………..

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Al from Canada View Post
    I've watched quite a few episodes of Ancient Aliens and I personally think there's too much evidence that humans on earth did not build some of the things that have been found that dated many years ago.
    Was it coincidence that two years after the area 51 crash the transistor was invented? Major discovery.

We're the adult bookstore of the galaxy, just a freak show they slip in to and sneak out of quietly and hope none of the other aliens see them doing it ...
    Ranting incoherently

Back in a previous life I drove B52's. Night low level runs and we'd see headlights in our low light TV scopes. Line up on them. Count to 10 on the terrain clearance light switch. When the vehicle went under the nose, the bizlion candlepower light came on and the throttles went up. "There was a turrable
    sound and a tractor beam light from the sky!"

Quote Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
    Back in a previous life I drove B52's. Night low level runs and we'd see headlights in our low light TV scopes. Line up on them. Count to 10 on the terrain clearance light switch. When the vehicle went under the nose, the bizlion candlepower light came on and the throttles went up. "There was a turrable
    sound and a tractor beam light from the sky!"
    Had a B-1B do something like that to me at Ft. Campbell.. They timed their rotation to what looked almost vertical at the end of the runway, right above my open sunroof late one night. Never saw 'em until I heard 'em. WOW!! Scared stiff is real!!

12. Member

Scientific theory definition

Image: pinterest.com

scientific theory. 1. a coherent group of propositions formulated to explain a group of facts or phenomena in the natural world and repeatedly confirmed through experiment or observation: the scientific theory of evolution.

Please show me where I can find how evolution was confirmed through experiment or observation.

All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff La View Post
    Scientific theory definition

Image: pinterest.com

scientific theory. 1. a coherent group of propositions formulated to explain a group of facts or phenomena in the natural world and repeatedly confirmed through experiment or observation: the scientific theory of evolution.

Please show me where I can find how evolution was confirmed through experiment or observation.

I do not agree with that definition. The word "confirmed" is used in error there. As Drew said, theories are tested but developing hypotheses so that if those hypotheses are supported, the theory is disproven. This process is called Falsification. In actuality, nothing in science can ever be PROVEN. Proving a theory would require that it be tested in every single circumstance to which it applies. That's impossible. It's far more practical to set out to disprove a theory. It only takes one negative case to disprove a theory. However, if after repeated testing with empirical evidence, a theory repeatedly holds up and is not disproven, it becomes the accepted explanation within that field of study, until a new theory that explains what the first theory does, plus more, comes along.

Evolution can not be proven. But, after repeated testing and observation with empirical evidence, it has repeatedly not been disproven. Remember, the simplistic version of what everyday people characterize as "evolution" may light years apart from the complex version that biologists and geneticists know as evolution.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

14. Member
    Theory - We are the Aliens. It would explain a great number of things, including this thread.

15. Member
    Why do hight tech alien crafts need lights??? what were you smoking that night?

16. Member
    Best quote I ever saw in a space flick. " There are only two possibilities, either we are alone in the universe or we are not. Either one is terrifying". We all think aliens must come in a ship or form that we can see. They may be so small we'll never see them. Gotta be something out there and yes, God made them too.

Quote Originally Posted by mossie3 View Post
    I believe there may be all kinds of earths out there, but don't believe we have been visited. They would had to began traveling even at the speed of light to get here thousands to millions of years ago, before we even existed, and timed it perfect to get here, at this point in time. The distances are just too vast, to find, and travel to other inhabited worlds.
    Didn't you watch Star Wars... They have this thing called hyperdrive on those ships.... It's faster than the speed of light....or for you trekkies it's called warp drive... They can zip around from Galaxy to Galaxy in the time it takes us to go on a good vacation...easy peasy...
    I did read an article on NASA.com a while back, good while back, that they were actually looking into this type of technology but it was controversial because it broke certain laws of physics... Wouldn't allow the kind of stuff you seen in movies but it was something like a trip to the Moon in a couple of hours..
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

18. Member
    Everyone thinks that if there is life in another Galaxy then it has to be smarter and more advanced than the life on our planet. Why? And in all the stories and theory's they are always butt ass naked, skinny as a rail, with big eyes and large heads. Where did that bullshit come from?

There probably is life elsewhere, hell there is life right in your home that has yet to be given a name, but I'm 100% sure that I don't want anything to do with it. Knowing what it is doesn't benefit me one little bit.

If by chance an ultra intelligent life form decided to spend any time on this planet they probably aren't going to help us out any. If anything they will probably phuck our wives and steal our beer. So as far as I'm concerned we are better off without them

19. Banned
    Where did that bullshit come from?

Where indeed?? Sorry if that query was rhetorical. History comes from those who came before and sometimes after a 'conflict' the "victors" of said conflict sometimes massage/knead history.

https://www.google.com/search?q=reli...w=1440&bih=718

https://listverse.com/2016/04/24/10-...rly-show-ufos/

20. Banned
    Didn't you watch Star Wars... They have this thing called hyperdrive on those ships.... It's faster than the speed of light....or for you trekkies it's called warp drive... They can zip around from Galaxy to Galaxy in the time it takes us to go on a good vacation...easy peasy...

https://www.sciencealert.com/warp-sp...astrophysicist

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast