Lake Cumberland Trip 6/15-6/18 HELP

So its that time of year where my group of friends and I start taking 2 or 3 trips to lake Cumberland. Out of the group I'm the only one who fishes so when we head out to the lake they go post up in the pontoon and party while I go fish. Ill be honest out of the probably 8+ trips ive been to Cumberland its kicked my butt all but once. The one time I was able to do well was when I ran to fishing creek where the water was shallower and more stained which is way more of what I'm accustom to. I typically fish lakes like green or nolin etc.

We will be putting in at alligator II I believe and weather looks like roughly 90 and partly cloudy. Guessing water temp will be low - mid 80s maybe. I don't want to make some crazy 100 mile run or anything so if you have some hints on where to go or techniques I'm all ears. I'm definitely not proficient at these deep clear lakes especially in the summer heat. Really wish I could get them to go early or late in the season but that's not going to happen any time soon.

Thanks

2. Banned
    I think I would party by day with your buddies and then fish at night.

3. Member
    I don't fish LC much in the summer, but when I did, I always hit every primary and secondary point with Zara Spook and jig. IMHO I'd only fish early morning or evening - not during the day. I can't see well at night, so night fishing is out for me.

4. Member
    Yeah unfortunately the day is when ill be out ....

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Yeah unfortunately the day is when ill be out ....
    Plenty of fish still shallow (bass). Still extremely hard to catch them during day. I'd go as early or late as possible.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rude196 View Post
    Plenty of fish still shallow (bass). Still extremely hard to catch them during day. I'd go as early or late as possible.
    So would you just run to the back of the closest creek / shallow water and go at it ?? Sounds like no matter what I do its gonna be tough.

7. Member
    Also something I have wanted to do is maybe try to catch a striper. Would think maybe troll a bit along main lake ledges etc with live bait. I cant place seeing live bait sold down there though... I haven't exactly looked for it though as I usually just bass fish.

8. Member
    the striper will probably be in excess of 90' of water at that time in June for most of the day, that would take one hell of a crankbait to troll that depth if you do not have a down rigger.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BttrBn View Post
    the striper will probably be in excess of 90' of water at that time in June for most of the day, that would take one hell of a crankbait to troll that depth if you do not have a down rigger.
    HAHAHAHA Ill pull out the 100XD

Striper fished last Saturday, never pulled a bait deeper than 27'. Started catching fish at daybreak, it was over by 11:00. Fish are starting to group up, we had multiple fish on at the same time. Can't tell you where unfortunately. LOL LM and SM up in Lily after dark, topwater first thing in the morning.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    So would you just run to the back of the closest creek / shallow water and go at it ?? Sounds like no matter what I do its gonna be tough.
    That would depend on where you put in at, also when I say shallow that means on the bank or reasonable depths. They could be on vertical bluffs. Midday you can probably find some suspended off points but they are hard to catch.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rude196 View Post
    That would depend on where you put in at, also when I say shallow that means on the bank or reasonable depths. They could be on vertical bluffs. Midday you can probably find some suspended off points but they are hard to catch.
    I believe we will be using Aligator II

13. Member
    Well ill be heading out this afternoon... Any last minute advice. I will most likely head back a creek away from as much traffic as possible and give it a whirl. If that doesn't fly ill get closer to the main lake and maybe try some secondary points off bluffs etc and see if they are suspending.

On another note is there any place near Russell springs that I could buy a navonics card ?? I keep forgetting and now its too late unless I can buy in persona.