Problem with Swing Head Mold

Hey there, folks. I did some searching around on my problem, but didn't find any threads, but found some that mentioned folks making their own swing head jig molds, so I'm hoping someone can help.

I recently got the heavier version of the Do-It mold for swing head jigs (the one that has sizes 1/2 oz up to 1 1/4 oz). I used it for the first time last night and found that I had a hard time getting the mold to close.

I do have the correct size wire form for the heavier form (the lighter mold says to use a different wire form). The hook that the mold calls for is 38104BLN and I have 38104NP-BN (it's all that Jann's Netcraft had when I searched that size), but looking at the two hooks, they sure look similar. Plus, I'm not sure that with this mold, the hook matters all that much since the hook doesn't really go into any cavities in the mold like with other jig molds.

Anyone else experience this or have any tips?

2. Member

3. Member
    Use a caliper and check the diameter of the hooks. Not familiar with the mold or hooks. Also try pouring without the wire and hook and see if the mold (cavities) are aligning properly. If the hooks look really close, push a hook into some clay, remove the hook and place the other hook, then you will see a difference between them.

4. Member
    I’ve got both of those molds and used Gamakatsu monster hooks and the Mustad KVD Heavy hook with the pin keeper and lots of lighter wire hooks in the heavier weight mold without a problem. I wouldn’t think it’s the hook unless the mold itself has a flaw where the hook lays. Or maybe a flaw where the wire lays. Both of my molds pour good.

5. Member
    I think it might be a problem with where the wire lays... When you set the hook/wire combo in the mold while it's open, can it just 'rest' in there without you holding it up? Mine can't... the hook/wire falls out of the mold. So in fiddling with mine, I have to be holding it place 'just right' while I close the mold, which means that I can only pour one cavity at a time. And even the holding the hook/wire in place 'just right' is a hit and miss proposition...

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by texasbassdude View Post
    I think it might be a problem with where the wire lays... When you set the hook/wire combo in the mold while it's open, can it just 'rest' in there without you holding it up? Mine can't... the hook/wire falls out of the mold. So in fiddling with mine, I have to be holding it place 'just right' while I close the mold, which means that I can only pour one cavity at a time. And even the holding the hook/wire in place 'just right' is a hit and miss proposition...
    Lay another mold open beside your swig jig mold and let the hooks rest on it.

7. Member
    I have found that, with my mold, I have to use my wire bending pliers to adjust the wire forms to make my mold work. I have use several different hooks without issues, so I believe you may be having the same issues with your wire forms. It's not the end of the world, but it is very aggravating to have purchased the correct materials and have to adjust them to get them to work. Not sure if it is the mold or the forms.

8. Green Fish Bait Brewery
    Take a 1 inch wide strip magnet and stick to the mold. Place your hook in the location for each bait one at a time and close the mold right to make an indentation. You may have to glue the magnet in place. The groove and the magnet will hold your hook in place.
    Ron
    Green Fish Bait Brewery (FB)
    Veteran

9. Member
    Some good practical ideas, thanks.

I think I'll probably also buy the smaller wire form and see if it helps, even though it's supposed to be the wrong one for this mold. I'll probably wind up buying the smaller mold at some point down the road anyways, so it won't be a waste.

10. Green Fish Bait Brewery
    Smaller wire is to short for the larger mold. It will fall into the area and fill with lead. Send me a pm and I will send you a pic of the magnet concept. A dremel tool or micro file will help the forms fit. They left too much material in my 1/2 ounce cavity and I had to knock it down some to fit the wire bend.
    Ron
    Veteran

11. Green Fish Bait Brewery
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ron
    Veteran

12. Member
    Thanks for the pic... The mold still closes good, with that magnet strip in there?

13. Green Fish Bait Brewery
    Yes, once you get it worked in, no problem. Use a straight edge blade and make a couple of skits where the hook marks are to speed up the process.
    Ron
    Veteran