Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Banned

High Rock BFL dead fish

I was one of the last to weigh in. What I saw at the fish return was pretty damn heart breaking. An entire 120 QT cooler over filled with dead fish. A lot of them 4+ lb fish. Another 2-3 smaller coolers also full. There were also a bunch in the water, still alive, but floating upside down needing to be fizzed.

WTF is wrong with people? If you're going to fish deep learn how to take care of those fish.

What also pissed me off is the person returning the live fish to the water didn't give a shit about those fish needing to be fizzed when I asked him about it.

Sad to see 100's of pounds of nice largemouth killed off in one day.

The sad thing is it's going to happen all over again this week, never understood why they have two tournaments back to back on the same lake. High rock has just started to come out of the slump it's been in the last few years. personally I have never caught a fish deep enough on highrock that needed fizzing and I fish deep.

3. Member
    When the water temp first gets hot, there is a big Temp difference from top to down say 8 feet. This is the worst time of year for fish mortality. They should not hold events in June in NC.

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fishandfowl loco View Post
    The sad thing is it's going to happen all over again this week, never understood why they have two tournaments back to back on the same lake. High rock has just started to come out of the slump it's been in the last few years. personally I have never caught a fish deep enough on highrock that needed fizzing and I fish deep.
    I checked in at 2:28 and was one of the last to dock up. Coming in to the marina area there were a bunch of fish struggling to swim, on their side. Clearly needed to be fizzed.

5. Member
    No other lake gets pounded by large events in the heat of summer like HR

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

6. Banned
    Sad for sure. Makes the anglers and tournament people only care about the moment and worry about the next tournament when it comes up.

A lot of guys don’t know how to operate their livewell properly.

You can fizz the fish, vent your livewells,run pumps 24/7 and fish will die. Putting them in a box and bouncing them around at 60+ mph is not good.

9. Member
    This pisses me off. Our lakes get absolutely hammered around here. I fished Buggs three weeks ago and almost every decent fish I caught had broken jaws and holes all around their mouth from cull clips. It’s f’d up! And why are these tournaments allowed during the summer months?

10. Member
    there is way to many tournaments now days , lakes like Harris and Falls has a TX every sat from feb to oct. , and lots of days 3-4 differents trails going out from the same ramp. there is to much stress on these fish , being caught , hauled and banged around in a livewell, that may or may not be working properly toted around in a bagwith a quart of water in it , and pics taken then threw back in miles from where they were caught at nearly dead , all to done again next saturday ,
    1996 Javelin 409T DC /225 Johnson Venom

We'll....we went back yesterday and fished Russels Sunday Tournament. I was in the last flight Saturday as well and I saw the fish swimming upside down too. I did not see a single fish floating around Tamarac yesterday morning.....and I looked. That doesn't mean anything......it just means I didn't see any dead ones floating. A lot of it comes down to running your livewell properly.

12. Member
    I saw a 6.5 lb bass up at longwood ramp area last weekend and made me sick also. Great bass for kerr and dead.

The CBC is done by the 2nd week in May each year.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cattdaddy View Post
    The CBC is done by the 2nd week in May each year.
    What's the reason for that? Is it for the fish's sake or the anglers sake?

15. Member
    Another BFL this weekend with water temps 80+

Have to wonder how BFL managment though this would be a good idea? Maybe they just dont give a shit about the lakes as long as they make some money.

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

16. Member
    Losing that many good bass can't be good for the fishery. Seems like it would negatively impact the bass fishing but I hope I am wrong.

17. Member
    It comes down to the fact If your really concerned about the fishery, start a boycott of these tournaments and don't fish them. But I know there's people who going to fish them regardless of what it does to the environment

18. Member
    Well said Scrappy...SB...
    2006 Ranger 188 VX with 150 E TEC and I EAT BASS!!!

Sickening!

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrappy View Post
    It comes down to the fact If your really concerned about the fishery, start a boycott of these tournaments and don't fish them. But I know there's people who going to fish them regardless of what it does to the environment
    It won't stop the FLW nor the anglers from fishing the events. Nor will it stop anglers from not giving a damn about fish care. They want a check, to hell with the fishery.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast