Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    The amount of dead fish I saw doesn't come from a single angler. But a 79 boat field with 158 people fishing amounted to, what I can only assume to be, well over 100 dead fish. A 120 quart cooler, plus two smaller 40-60 quart coolers, stuffed with dead fish. Plus the ones floating about the launch area struggling to swim. There really needs to be someone that knows fish care releasing these fish. The person that was doing it simply didn't not give a rats ass. Or, in his own words "ain't my problem".

But, seems like you care more about the money than the condition of the fishery. Better go get those ounces while you can.
    Look at the number of tournaments held on high rock in the last 5 years. It's a better fishery now than it has been in the last five years...

2. Banned
    Hope this post makes it so People will read. With the dead fish issue at High Rock. This happening is not isolated to just High Rock it happens every lake everywhere. I Believe if boaters can not manage their catch in their boat's live wells when fishing a lake for a time period os 7-8 hours of a day they shouldn't be allowed to fish at all. That said Hyco lake has recognized the heat and its effect on Bass kept in live wells of boats in those hot summer days. They do not allow organised Bass Tournaments at the ramp during those hat days of Summer.

When I fished as a co angler I was amazed at some boaters would only fill the livewell tha barely covered the fishes back and never ran their recirc or airiator. Some people don’t have a clue.

4. Member
    Hate me if you want, I'm a meat fisherman that loves fried bass...SB...
    2006 Ranger 188 VX with 150 E TEC and I EAT BASS!!!

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stratos90 View Post
    Again......you absolutely missed what I was trying to say. Another thing.......I have absolutely no clue who you are. Don't you dare assume you know anything about me.
    Your point being, what? That you care more about the missed ounces that cost you or your friends a check than the dead fish piling up? That's how your post came across to me. Everyone looses a fish from time to time. A 79 boat field losing 100+ fish is ridiculous. I could care less about who cashes a check or doesn't at that point.

A few dead fish for a large tournament is a given. Enough to fill 3 coolers is excessive and needs to be addressed. Those fish aren't going to be eaten, like the bridge fishermen are doing. They're a waste so someone can cash a check.

6. Banned
    Your point being, what? That you care more about the missed ounces that cost you or your friends a check than the dead fish piling up? That's how your post came across to me. Everyone looses a fish from time to time. A 79 boat field losing 100+ fish is ridiculous. I could care less about who cashes a check or doesn't at that point.

A few dead fish for a large tournament is a given. Enough to fill 3 coolers is excessive and needs to be addressed. Those fish aren't going to be eaten, like the bridge fishermen are doing. They're a waste so someone can cash a check.
    Those fish are actually donated to charity to be eaten. That’s why they put them in coolers, not trash bags.
    Last edited by Pirate360v; 06-12-2018 at 04:11 PM.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirate360v View Post
    Those fish are actually donated to charity to be eaten.
    If that is the case they don't make it known anywhere on their website. You'd think an organization making a charitable food donation would make it known.

Actually......I do care. It's my home lake and I'm very happy to see it showing it out again after several down years. There were a lot of dead fish. Only thing that makes sense to me......a lot of fish spawned late this year because of the cold spring and just haven't fully recovered yet. I filled my livewell up at my first spot,added G Juice and ran my recirculator all day. I even laid a towell over my livewell lids and kept it wet all day to keep the temp down. I had 10 fish in my box......and neither me nor my co angler had any problems. Matter of fact.....they got us wet when we were trying to get them out so we could weigh them.

9. Banned
    If that is the case they don't make it known anywhere on their website. You'd think an organization making a charitable food donation would make it known.
    I can assure you, they do. Did you have any dead fish?

Actually......I do care. It's my home lake and I'm very happy to see it showing it out again after several down years. There were a lot of dead fish. Only thing that makes sense to me......a lot of fish spawned late this year because of the cold spring and just haven't fully recovered yet. I filled my livewell up at my first spot,added G Juice and ran my recirculator all day. I even laid a towell over my livewell lids and kept it wet all day to keep the temp down. I had 10 fish in my box......and neither me nor my co angler had any problems. Matter of fact.....they got us wet when we were trying to get them out so we could weigh them.
    I think you pretty much nailed it , was not a fizzing issue

11. Member

One dead fish per angler is not EXCESSIVE, for this time of year. Sad, not EXCESSIVE. I had one die almost instantly due to hooked in the gill with a topwater plug. Not even immediate release was going to save it.

Quote Originally Posted by munchie View Post
    One dead fish per angler is not EXCESSIVE, for this time of year. Sad, not EXCESSIVE. I had one die almost instantly due to hooked in the gill with a topwater plug. Not even immediate release was going to save it.
    What would you call excessive

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    State Regulations should mandate that any tournament organizations with 100 plus boat tournaments should replace 1000 bass fingerlings to whatever lake they visit. This will help some to replenish but not a cure, just a thought . Numbers can be adjusted to number of boats.
    Agree with this

14. Banned
    Well I just couldn't stay out of this one. For all you guys against tournament fishing without tournament fishing you would have anything to catch. Tournament fishing has done for the any lake than every other idea combined. The way I see it if I wasn't tournament fishing I would just keep a limit for everybody on my boat everyday I go out an take them home and eat them. I promise I would be keeping more fish at the end of the year than every fish that dies in every tournament held in entire state of NC. Last time I checked the legal limit for Bass is 5 per person so if everyone at the tournament kept them and took them to Lake Crisco it would be fine with me.

Just because you cant catch them in the summer doesn't mean stop the tournament's.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Well I just couldn't stay out of this one. For all you guys against tournament fishing without tournament fishing you would have anything to catch. Tournament fishing has done for the any lake than every other idea combined. The way I see it if I wasn't tournament fishing I would just keep a limit for everybody on my boat everyday I go out an take them home and eat them. I promise I would be keeping more fish at the end of the year than every fish that dies in every tournament held in entire state of NC. Last time I checked the legal limit for Bass is 5 per person so if everyone at the tournament kept them and took them to Lake Crisco it would be fine with me.

Just because you cant catch them in the summer doesn't mean stop the tournament's.
    Well said. Not to mention the impact tournament anglers have spending money in local communities around Tournament time.

16. Banned
    All of those fish are eaten. I know because I have helped clean them before. Sounds like you are the one that doesn't know what is going on?

17. Member
    I just wish they would put more than a week between these big early summer events. Feel like it puts a lot of undue pressure on fish trying to recover from the spawning cycle

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

18. Banned
    : )

19. Banned
    All of those fish are eaten. I know because I have helped clean them before. Sounds like you are the one that doesn't know what is going on?
    Pass the hot sauce please

20. Banned
    Not only do I doubt that, but I'm going to call 100% bullshit on it right now. They were not harvested commercially, there is no way to know what chemicals someone put in the livewell that those fish were stewing in for whoever knows how long, nor any way to tell how long a fish has been dead and not properly stored for consumption. There is ZERO percent chance any food bank would be legally allowed to accept those fish as edible.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast