Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    I had the best system Garmin offered with the GPSMAP 7610, PS-30 & PS-21..I was disappointed with the detail not being able to determine what the structure was.

It reminded me of Rapid Fire 2D Sonar...

I hope things improve in the future..

USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Anti Submarine Warfare Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

2. Banned
    The old system worked perfect for fishing lanier. My waypoints tell me what I’m fishing. I don’t need panoptix to help me identify them. Just show me exactly where they are so I can cast to em

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hays47 View Post
    Lwinchester 2 -I watched your crappie video several times. But nothing assured me they were crappie that I seen.
    I've seen it in action a few times, at the dock and on the water while bass fishing. Wasn't impressed either. Our 2 club members that bought them said they are returning it. It may be a good idea for crappie fishing being very stationary. Even with hours dialing them it, they don't look like the commercial. That was probably done in a fish tank with no waves, wind, or currents effecting its performance.

4. Member

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwell215 View Post
    I've seen it in action a few times, at the dock and on the water while bass fishing. Wasn't impressed either. Our 2 club members that bought them said they are returning it. It may be a good idea for crappie fishing being very stationary. Even with hours dialing them it, they don't look like the commercial. That was probably done in a fish tank with no waves, wind, or currents effecting its performance.
    Was it the original panoptix you saw and are speaking of? Or the new Livescope?

6. Member
    Just pulled the trigger on livescope, thanks to Brian at BBG Marine!

Was wondering if anyone had any info on if the livescope transducer can also act as a 2d transducer, Or would i need to buy an additional one(recommendations for trolling motor garmin transducer)? I am not interested in sidescan or downscan at this point. Also, will the livescope transducer work with quickdraw?

ie if i have my trolling motor down over a spot i want a better map for and make a bunch of passes, will quickdraw be able to work or will i need an additional transducer?

Thanks!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnieG View Post
    I had the best system Garmin offered with the GPSMAP 7610, PS-30 & PS-21..I was disappointed with the detail not being able to determine what the structure was.

It reminded me of Rapid Fire 2D Sonar...

I hope things improve in the future..
    One thing I find very helpful in general is now that I have two 1040's I can run all the sonar at once. Having it all side by side really helps me tell whats what much easier. 2D/panopitx for marking fish, sidevu and DI for structure. Puts a more complete picture together in your mind of what things are.

8. Member
    Panoptix livescope videoclip

9. Banned
    they could at least hold the dern phone the right way

10. Member
    There is that way overused word again, gamechanger.

About 2 min and 33 seconds was about all I could stand..

USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Anti Submarine Warfare Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Royt View Post
    Lol. Thought I was the only one who was driven crazy by the term. It’s so bad that if they use “game changer” in their marketing I now refuse to buy it.

13. Member
    Drink!

I hate that phrase!!!
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

15. Member
    I made it through 4 minutes hoping I would see something on the screen besides clouds and a silhouette. Bummer I wanted to see it in action.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by daiwshi View Post
    @Lwinchester was this phenomenon as easy to see with the previous generations of panoptix?
    Sorry I missed this earlier.

No. When you are making comparisons of the generations of Panoptix keep in mind a comparison of a distorted, exaggerated return compared to a return that is presented to scale. For example, we all have learned how to interpret 2d returns and the differences in the size of the arches due to the width of the cone. No one expects a 2d return to look like a fish. It is an very exaggerated return that looks nothing like a fish. Now switch to side imaging. Side imaging is more to scale in one dimension. The front to back aspect of the cone is very tight while the top to bottom width is very very wide. In a controlled circumstance with a fish positioned near perfectly for the pass, if the range can be limited enough, the actual shape of a fish can be seen. Using 2d effectively can be quite casual in terms of effort while using side imaging effectively requires quite a bit of user effort and attention.

The earlier versions of Panoptix, PS21,22,30,31 were breakthroughs in that both distance and depth could be determined. The representation of the fish on screen was an exaggerated return. It was not to scale. As such it was very easy to see, even at a distance from the unit. It works excellently for individual fish, and for fish that loosely school, like my favorite, walleye. But for fish that more tightly school, like white bass, crappie and bait fish, often you would only see a blob and not be able to discriminate as to whether what you are seeing was a school of bait or a school of white bass. The way I could tell the difference was in watching how fast they swam. Suspended white bass generally cover a fairly large area in a small amount of time contrasted with schools of shad that move quite slowly.

While some resent the use of the term game changer, this is the number one difference between LiveScope and other Panoptix. The LiveScope shows details much better and much more to scale. With it a school of white bass will be seen as a group of individual fish and not a blob. Sometimes even the shad will be shows as a group of separate dots depending on how far you extend the scale. The longer the range of the scale the less detail that can be displayed. The tighter space on screen you squeeze things into, the less detail is available. The schools of shad, even when shows as a bunch of dots, are identifiable by being more faint returns. That is something that comes with experience using the unit.

Some people don't understand the choice. You can't have it both ways; large exaggerated returns that literally seem to jump off the screen at you or detailed returns that are more to scale. The earlier versions of Panoptix are not capable of delivering this detail no matter what you do with the settings. LiveScope is capable of displaying very detailed images depending on the range and depth settings. Normally I have my range set to 70 ft and the detail that offers provides me with the level of detail I want most of the time. For my deep walleye fishing the earlier versions work well enough for that fishing. For my spring crappie fishing, the LiveScope takes the prize by leaps and bounds. For that fishing I need more detail.

LiveScope requires more attention to the screen when looking for individual fish with the range extended past 70. The earlier versions of Panoptix give you less detail, you can be more casual in glancing at the screen to see if fish are there.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

17. Member
    Nice video from germany. Gives some good images and gives some insight on range. You see some good images even usable images with forward distance set to 30 - 35 metres (although the bottom begins to fade at 35 metres which equals 115 feet).

Also range declines when looking at a downward slope which makes sense because the upper part of the slope is blocking the signals.

18. Member
    Just not getting it, still looks nothing like the promo comercials. Can't say that it would help me. Maybe part of its the glare. Glad you posted it,, hope to see more. Maybe some from lakes here in the USA where I can better understand what they are trying to show.

19. Member
    The fish in that video are to small to identify, they are probably small perch. The fish in the commercial are tarpon and are easily identified as such but the species don't have to be as big as a tarpon to see what they are.

Mind you these videos are shot in Northern Europe, species that can be recognised are: pike, zander, carp and welsh catfish. I can't say that I have seen videos where I could recognise perch (might be possible with the right scale) but I don't mind because I recognise them by their behavior. To me the Livescope would provide useful information because instead of a blob (previous gen panoptix) I'd see if it's pike or zander, which I want to catch, or bream / carp / baitfish / catfish which I don't want to catch.

https://www.facebook.com/diedr79/vid...8026414190975/ (catfish / carp and a pike in the end)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/2489...339693/videos/ (big catfish)
    https://www.facebook.com/koen.vervlo...9776033797900/ (zander or pike, probably zander)
    (2:32 carp and school of baitfish)
    https://www.facebook.com/thorbjorn.b...user_video_tab (pike or zander but probably pike)

Instead of looking at arches I'm looking at species which I can identify and target. I think it will help me catch more fish and hopefully let me target the bigger fish selectively. I don't have it yet (demand surpasses supply I guess) but hopefully I will soon be able to test it myself.

The video in my previous post, the guy is using a 12" screen I guess?

Something completely different: I've been playing around with my 9" echomap plus uniut in simulation mode and it would be nice to be able to zoom in on a specific zone in the livescope view. It's possible in 2d, clearvu and and sidevu. Lwinchester mentioned before that the size of the target scales with distance. Would be nice to counter that with zoom, don't know if that is technically possible though.

20. Member
    Panoptix videoclip

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast