Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Humminbird Sharing Issue - Help please!

Hey everyone. I have two Humminbird 998 SI units They are connected with the ethernet cable to share weigh points. I've had the units for a several years now and they've been sharing fine. All of a sudden the other day I noticed that the weigh points on the bow unit and console were not sharing.

After talking to Humminbird they suggested that the ethernet cable could be the issue. I didn't think so but I got one anyway to try. Put it on and still the two units are not sharing. Any suggestions on what it could be or where to trouble shoot next?

Thank you!

2. Member
    Might try backing up your waypoints, format nav directories, then reload your waypoints.
    Check and see if they will share before reloading the old waypoints as well.
    Console [HELIX 10MSI G3N || HELIX 10MSI G3N]
    Bow [HELIX 12 CHIRP SI GPS G2N] || RC-2] || [HELIX 10MSI G4N] || [M360 UNIVERSAL MOUNT] || [Mega Live]
    ULTERRA80/US2/IPLINK-60" BT || 2xAS ETH 5PXG || Victron IP67 12V/25A || [NoCo Genius GX2440 24V/40A]
    [X2 GROUP 31] x 3 || [Battleborn 31 lithium]
    Alumacraft Voyageur 175/Yamaha VF115LA

3. Member
    +1 After exporting your waypoints to the SD card, verify them in Humminbird PC and make sure there are no special characters or spaces before reloading them on the units.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

4. Member
    Ok. I pulled all the spots off both units. Formatted Nav directories and restored defaults. Put everything back on. Still both units have just the spots and each of the units and they will not share with each other.

5. Banned
    Are you using a ethernet hub?

6. Member
    I exported the spots to a SD card and opened up Humminbird PC. I saw this.

Attached Images Attached Images

7. Member
    No I am not using the hub. I have the ethernet cable directly connecting them.

8. Member
    I found the 2 files with the rectangle character and deleted them both. I will clear and reload the files back on the units and see if those two files were causing the issue. Fingers crossed but...I don't know.

9. Member
    Those two files did nothing. Both units still will not talk to each other and share way points. Any other suggestions other than just smashing them in frustration? Kidding. Kind of.

10. Member
    Did you tell CS about that error? There are many characters that are not allowed in names of waypoints in HBPC. They should be able to tell you which ones that need to be removed or edited. There are threads on this site about it. I have not had those issues or I would send you a list. Its is possible your file got corrupted somewhere along the way. Bob

11. Member
    There should be no special symbols or spaces and name length is limited. If using HB PC, it should flag those exceptions.

Did you load the corrected Nav Data after reformatting the Nav Directory or before? (should be done on both units)
    Wes
    2023 Phoenix 818

12. Member
    Yes. I did it on both units. It can't have anything to do with those weigh points anyway because when I clear both units...... Erase all of it on both...make the first weight point on the screen. They still don't share. Even without anything loaded on them.

13. Member
    Obviously then your old waypoints can't have any effect on that new waypoint. As long as sharing is turned on It should share. Note: I believe the 998 defaults to the sharing being off. Bob

14. Member
    Waypoint Sharing under the Network Menu does default to Off. It needs to be turned On under Network Menu on both units. If you edit the waypoint, the "Shared" box should be checked and "Visible" box should show an eye without a X. Under the Network Menu, are you seeing the other unit on each unit?
    Wes
    2023 Phoenix 818

15. Member
    If it were me, I would do the following on one unit at a time(other unit powered off)

Remove SD cards from slots
    Format nav directories
    Reset defaults
    Format nav directory again
    Power down unit
    Repeat above on other unit.

Power on one unit, enable waypoint sharing, shutdown unit.
    Repeat last step on other unit.

Power on both units and wait for them to establish network connection.

Create new waypoint on one unit and cross your fingers it shows on the other.

If it works, cautiously reload your old waypoints into one of the units from the SD card.
    Console [HELIX 10MSI G3N || HELIX 10MSI G3N]
    Bow [HELIX 12 CHIRP SI GPS G2N] || RC-2] || [HELIX 10MSI G4N] || [M360 UNIVERSAL MOUNT] || [Mega Live]
    ULTERRA80/US2/IPLINK-60" BT || 2xAS ETH 5PXG || Victron IP67 12V/25A || [NoCo Genius GX2440 24V/40A]
    [X2 GROUP 31] x 3 || [Battleborn 31 lithium]
    Alumacraft Voyageur 175/Yamaha VF115LA

16. Member
    ...maybe they got thrown overboard in frustration....LOL
    Wes
    2023 Phoenix 818

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleury9816 View Post
    Yes. I did it on both units. It can't have anything to do with those weigh points anyway because when I clear both units...... Erase all of it on both...make the first weight point on the screen. They still don't share. Even without anything loaded on them.

Thanks Bob. Yes the sharing is on.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ezfishn View Post
    Waypoint Sharing under the Network Menu does default to Off. It needs to be turned On under Network Menu on both units. If you edit the waypoint, the "Shared" box should be checked and "Visible" box should show an eye without a X. Under the Network Menu, are you seeing the other unit on each unit?
    Yes sharing is on but they do not see each other.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ezfishn View Post
    ...maybe they got thrown overboard in frustration....LOL
    It may be soon!

20. Member
    On the network menu, are you seeing each unit?
    Wes
    2023 Phoenix 818

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast