Trip Readiness: 2009 Ranger Trail with Vault Hubs

Hi. As best as I can tell, I have 2009 Ranger Z21 with dual axle trailer and brakes on both axels.

The actuator appears to be a UFP A60 and the hubs are Vault Hubs.

I would be surprised if the trailer has 10k miles.

Thinking about a long trip and trying to be as prepared as possible. Thinking of buys a couple spare hubs. I am trying to just make sure I can get to my destination.

1. Are Pacific Trailers or Eastern Marine reputable? They seem to show up in my google searches.
    2. Can I get the hub without caliper and mount mine to it? Or do I need to get the entire assembly?
    3. Is there a way to confirm my hub and actuator inner part numbers?

Any other her recommendations for being prepared? Planning to bring my floor jack as well.

Thanks
    tim

2. Member

3. Member
    Jack up the trailer on one side. Spin each wheel separately and listen carefully. If any wheel sounds like it's grumbling when it spins it needs looking at in detail. Since you have cool hubs I'm sure you don't want to disassemble them unnecessarily. This is not a fool proof test but if a bearing is failing many times it will be audible.
    The Harbor Fright aluminum racing jack, 3000 pound capacity is small, lightweight, reliable and inexpensive. I carry one under the back seat all the time. Usually less than $75.00 when on sale with coupon.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/15-ton...ump-60569.html

4. Member
    Thanks! My hubs are are the Vault design with the hybrid oil/grease. Now that they are 9 years old, I am going to take a look at them. Reading the instructions, it does not sound too bad. I am also going to bring the grease gun with regular heavy bearing grease in case I do develop a leak.

Everything seems fine on the trailer, but I have only done 25 mile one-way trips.

I think that is the exact jack that I have to bring!

Tim

If you have play from side to side or the above mentioned grumbling you need to investigate. Seals leaking is another sign. If the seals are good and no play or grumbling feel free to hit the road.

With a dual axel trailer you really don’t need a jack. 4x4 piece of lumber with a 45 degree cut on each side. Drive the trailer onto the 4x4 on the non injured axel or tire. Easier then using a jack and a lot cheaper.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

6. Member
    I tried the 4x4 lumber trick and it did not work for me on an asphalt parking lot. That HF jack is nice, but a good scissor jack with a handle that you can actually use would be another option. A piece of 2x6 or 2x8 to use for a base for your jack might also come in handy. I also carry the proper size impact socket on a 1/2" breaker bar to remove the wheel. Have a great trip!