Thread: 03 188 advice

03 188 advice

Hey guys, need some opinions here. I'm rig is an 03 188 and 05 Yamaha vmax hpdi 200 hp with a little over 500 hours. My question is, do I repower with a sho, replace powerhead, or buy a newer rig. I really dont know if i want to sing 18k in a 03 boat because i dont believe i would get the value out of the rig if i decide to sell it at a later time. If I bought a newer rig it would be with warranty. If I did a powerhead I'd want to do a few other things to the boat, lithium batteries and maybe poles....

2. Pat Goff
    Is it blown? You don't say.

500 Hours on that motor is nothing. And nothing you buy today will run any better.
    If you're worried about it, get the injectors cleaned and give it a good power tune treatment and head down the road.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

3. Member
    No it isnt blown. Still runs fine just getting up in age.

Drop it off at HydroTec in Nixa Missouri and they'll warm that puppy up for ya.

5. Member
    Pats reply is spot on with what I’d do and if it ever gives out, I’d take Matt’s advice! That’s a great motor and equally impressive hull! I sometimes wish I could go back to my old 188

6. Member
    If I was going to do a powerhead hydro tech is the ones who would do all the hpdi work. I would also probably have the flash the ecm to a 225 also

7. Member
    The 200 hpdi's are a lot more reliable than the 225's and up. I would continue to run it or like Matt said hydrotec if you want more performance out of it.

8. Member
    The 200, 225, and 250 3.3l are all the same just different fuel management from what I've learned.

9. Moderator
    Dont fix what ain’t broke!!!

10. Member
    Go boat shopping , take a look at all the new boats . After you spend a day going through what is offered you’ll love your 188 even more .

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dvkawboy View Post
    Go boat shopping , take a look at all the new boats . After you spend a day going through what is offered you’ll love your 188 even more .
    truth!

12. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dukhntr View Post
    Dont fix what ain’t broke!!!
    Exactly!!!

13. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Tuff...you are looking for problems where none exist. You have one of the best. Don't mess with it!

14. Member
    Trim it high and let it fly!!! When you need work on it go to hydrotech!!!!

I say buy a new boat! I’ll take that old beater off your hands for the right price!

I could put a Hydrotec chip and Lithium batteries in her for better performance. Dual 12”-15” fishfinders front and back, fancy gel coat and paint, on her and replace all my old fishing gear as well as take a couple of long fishing trips for years before spending all my savings!

Of course you could too... but what do I know?