Soft plastic guys.... Question.

I bought some bulk soft plastic swimbaits and most were strait. Some had kinked tails. I remember reading about boiling baits for 5 min and skimming them out dropping them into cold water. I did this and the baits all came back strait. BUT! the rubber is now super soft compared to the baits that did not get boiled.

I would have thought they would go back to their original firmness... What did I do wrong? Too hot? Too long? The baits may actually swim better now... Not sure.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

2. Member
    I'm not sure, but thought I read people also dipped them to make them softer, though I never understood how that worked.

3. Member
    I think you only dip them for a few seconds 5 minutes seems like a long time.
    Question everything!

4. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Boiling water is a NO NO. Hot water a minute or so and then lay them on a cookie sheet or hard surface to cure.
    keep them as straight as possible when curing...

My method worked better than the video... I did 50 at a time and they are all perfectly strait.. I probably only let them swim for 2-3 min... I may have found a way to turn cheap hard plastic into senko quality.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

If you boil them, dissolve a "little blue pill" in the water first to keep the baits from getting too soft!
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

They may get back to original hardness after a day or so.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

Quote Originally Posted by alli ss View Post
    They may get back to original hardness after a day or so.
    I think that they might have.... Or close to it. I'll check today after work.

Your baits were shot at 300+ degrees. Heating them up to 212 degrees won't hurt them but they may be a little softer for a little while. We used to boil 7 - 9 inch swim baits and stretch the tail section a little to make them kick better.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem